navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » almost rhymes
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic almost rhymes Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
MidnightSon
since 2002-05-15
Posts 312
between the gutter & the stars

0 posted 2002-07-08 03:34 PM

i'm not sure what we're callin it
but some rhymes are approximate

do rhymes like that bother anyone?
i mean, i know a lot of people cling to strict rules when they rhyme, but i have quite the affinity for approximate rhymes, almost rhymes.

"swallow all your bitter pills.
that's what makes you beautiful."
-goo goo dolls

here's another one. (from a credible source, not just one off the top o me noggin.) i just love lines like that, and they don't quite rhyme...but it's usually close enough to make it, ya know.
i was just readin a post in teen and someone got ripped for usin one, and i just wondered how out of place those seem, how irritating are they, or if they come off as intended?

or just any views from any of you

[This message has been edited by MidnightSon (07-08-2002 03:34 PM).]

© Copyright 2002 The Midnight Son - All Rights Reserved
Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

1 posted 2002-07-08 07:05 PM

I dont think they come off as "intended" ... and I think when they are done well...they work perfectly...many times they are a better choice than an over used cliche' word that often will seem "forced or obvious". I also think they (approximate rhymes) work better in song lyrics as the vocals can make the word work when pronouncing and enunciating it a certain way. Sometimes they may not read as well in poetry. I think we have to be open to accepting them if we are to find new ways of expressing our selves. We see a lot of debate about cliche' in here..and often trying to rhyme words will create the need to choose the overused words. I'd rather see a word that sounds close and creates a unique image or phrase ... to me a forced rhyme is "worse" for a poem than slight variation from the exact meter match.
There are quite a few poets in here that use the more subtle rhymes and their work always fresh...and there are some free verse poets whose work reads so smooth,-- and often I see the more soft sounds of "approximate rhymes" sprinkled thru the write.
That being said...there is nothing more beautiful to my ears than the cadence of a perfect metered write...like I said...we have to be open to all things if we hope to grow as writers and as poetry fans.

Now for me some words come easy
But I know that they don't mean that much ...
Compared with the things that are said when lovers touch.

J.Browne

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

2 posted 2002-07-14 01:35 AM

Sometimes? I just settle for assonance. I'm not that fond of the convenient rhyme, though I do tend to do it anyway. It still makes me feel like Dr. Seuss though.
MidnightSon
since 2002-05-15
Posts 312
between the gutter & the stars
3 posted 2002-07-19 03:15 AM

i like your style. even when it's Seuss-esque. hehe

thank you both for your opinions.... it was just a fleeting thought i had, and your insight is appreciated.

it's our struggle for identity that leaves us all unknown

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » almost rhymes

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary