navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » How,When, and Where did Perspectives Change?
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic How,When, and Where did Perspectives Change? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
DawnG
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2000-06-23
Posts 1494
United States

0 posted 2001-08-27 11:20 PM

A neighbor from our neighborhood died today and it got me thinking of how times have changed.  This neighbor was one of the few left who lived here when all that was out here was farmland. I was talking to my Grandparents also original owners about how things have changed over the years. They were talking a lot today about how people when they were raising their boys had time to help out their fellow neighbor.

Grandma was telling me about how years ago before the city developed around them neighbors would all ban together to help out each other. If there was a death in the neighborhood, fellow neighbors would take up a collection to raise funds for the family. Others would take food over to help out. The same thing would happen if there was an illness or a new baby. Anytime a neighbor needed help someone would always be there to lend a helping hand. Talking with Grandma today just really left me pondering:  
How, when and where did so many people's perspectives change?

© Copyright 2001 Dawn - All Rights Reserved
hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
1 posted 2001-08-28 12:40 PM

I don't know that it's perspective that's changed- people still care. It's just the fact that we now live in a world where more people have easier access to each other, via phones, cell phones, internet, the ever-increasing use of cars, and the expansion of cities and suburbs. That means that our relationships can span more miles than they may have before all these things became available... so I guess if you want, you can blame it on technology, but the idea is still the same. It's people supporting each other- the only real change is in location.

I eat only sleep and air -Nicole Blackman

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
2 posted 2001-08-28 12:54 PM

My subdivision has a hospitality unit that helps out the families here in times of need -- I don't think you've identified so much a change in perspective -- you've uncovered a need in your community.  Be a leader.

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
3 posted 2001-08-28 01:13 AM

In a way, my comment agrees with the above two:

1. Freedom: in the sense of mobility and the confusion between individuality and privacy.

2. Need: in that we now need to move while forgetting that we still need the stability of a community.

What's also interesting is the fear. Why don't more people attempt to build communities?

What's stopping them?

Brad

DawnG
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2000-06-23
Posts 1494
United States
4 posted 2001-08-28 04:47 PM

My question still comes down to, why are we having to build committees to help out our neighbors these days? What has happened to just helping because you want to, not because you are part of some committee? How can one say progress is so good if it is taking away something so simple as spending time with loved ones, and even our kids?

Dawn

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
5 posted 2001-08-28 05:50 PM

Time's are tough for everybody -- employed or unemployed -- there will be more layoffs coming -- and fewer hirings.  That said -- Americans are still working more hours than ever to try to grab the brass ring.

Many people DO need a change in perspective.  There have always been people that did.  

Plenty of neighbors help just because they want to -- and -- if you're part of a committee -- that's a pretty good indication that you want to.

Of course -- when my Dad died I had a neighbor that came over and just mowed my lawn while I was away -- and then -- another neighbor who came over when I got back and said in one breath "sorry to hear about your dad could you mow that strip of grass behind your fence please?"

I don't think there is a 'big when' that some kind of collective change happened to our culture -- there were committees, groups, etc. when I was a kid too -- welcome wagon -- meals on wheels -- all kinds of stuff -- we've always had to build communities -- from the inception of our country when we came over here and stole the land from the Native Americans.

We're not done yet and never will be...

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
6 posted 2001-08-28 07:07 PM

Weren't there always committees? Whether through the Church, the Town Council, or whatever, any large scale project would need some kind of coordination. The difference, as I see it, is that those 'committees' were so ingrained into the routines of a community that nobody really thought about them or questioned their 'rightness.'

Then again maybe they did but the 'peer' pressure was so strong, it was never made public.  

Brad

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
7 posted 2001-08-30 11:00 PM

The progress isn't necessarily inhibiting us from spending time with our loved ones- it's just that maybe our loved ones aren't always our neighbors anymore.

I eat only sleep and air -Nicole Blackman

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » How,When, and Where did Perspectives Change?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary