navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » The role of the controversial novel.
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic The role of the controversial novel. Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland

0 posted 2001-05-24 07:12 PM

Is there a place in this world for such books as the Marquis De Sade's "120 days of Sodom" should this book be held in the same regard as say Jane Austin, Dickens's and many of the other literary classics.

Can we learn from these books, is not just our own folly if we don not understand the intent of the books. I take Bret Easton Ellis' novel "American Psycho" as an example. IN the context of Ellis' other work it is easy to see the intent of the book as a satire and yet people often misinterupt the scenes of sex and over the top violence, not seeing that their intent is to shock and horrorify and show us as humans of what we are capable of.

Is this the reason why we tend to despise or disregard such books, because they may be closer to the truth than we care to admit.

If this does not make sense, please consider the time difference for me it is about midnight, I know that is a bad time to engage in any forum but it is just something I have been pondering.

"across the unfair divide
where black will never meet white
so read my token lips
as though they never exist"

nicky wire

© Copyright 2001 brian madden - All Rights Reserved
Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
1 posted 2001-05-26 04:41 PM

In a certain sense, of course there is a role for the 'controversial' novel as you define it. The books you chose, today, aren't particularly controversial to my mind. I haven't read "American Psycho" but I have read "Less Than Zero". They make movies from these books so how controversial can they be?

Is there value in publishing "The Turner Diaries" -- I've read it and found it disgusting.

I'm not arguing a political point here (my opinion - no books should be banned) but what 'value' is there in racist idiocy?

Brad

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
2 posted 2001-05-26 05:37 PM

Yes Brad they made movies out of both American psycho and Less than Zero. I would not class "Less Than zero" as shocking at least not in the controversial sense. Though in American psycho the movie they cut out the majority of the violence left in one or two of the sex scenes, typical. Reminds me of the Jack Nicholson quote about how in a movie if is there is blood it gets a 15 cert. if there is sex it gets a 18 cert.
Anyway going off on a tangent there.

I think both American psycho and 120 days are shocking, I dare you to read either without feeling ill. But for all of De Sade's shock tactics did he have something important to say about the hypocrisies and secret desire of man. The problem is that these books are taken at face value and often the underlining message is missing.

IT is like the comedian Dice Clay who clearly tackles all the taboos laughing in the face of PC.

I have never read the Turner diaries but things like that go to prove that everyone is allowed freedom of speech even idiots.

I guess we are tapping in on the censorship issue.  OK well I need a rest and to clear my head,
Before I can approach this debate again. Cheers for the reply.

"you are what you own in this land, you can be king and it all depends on the view and what you can see"  Whipping boy

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » The role of the controversial novel.

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary