navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Astrology
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic Astrology Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
since 2000-04-26
Posts 113
Amherst, MA, USA

0 posted 2001-05-19 06:30 PM

I've never believed in horoscopes and astrology. Can someone who does please explain to my skeptical mind how it is physically/spiritually possible that the stars can influence who you are? A friend of mine responded to that question with "It's just one of those mysteries about the universe." Well, to me it's no mystery, because it doesn't work! I've read my supposed personality description in several of those birthday books and they never come close. And wouldn't it mean that two people born on the same day have the exact same personality? This has been proven to be false.

Counter-arguments?

[This message has been edited by 7 (edited 05-19-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 Paula - All Rights Reserved
Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
1 posted 2001-05-19 07:45 PM

"It never pays a prophet to be too specific."
--Arthur C. Clarke

Isn't this the quintessential straw man here? Is there anybody who frequents this forum who honestly believes in astrology? A more interesting question might be why do people "believe" in their horoscopes at all. A couple of points:

1. They want to believe (why they want this is a thread in itself).

2. The generality of language (not language's fault per se. It has to be somewhat general in order for it to work).

3. The complexity and dynamicism of identity and individuality (I think that we're contradictory creatures and that if you look hard enough you'll find something to relate to).

With that said, if I can find the time, I'll try to find a basis for astrology -- just for fun.

Brad

White Wolf
since 1999-09-18
Posts 371
Somewhere in the vast wasteland
2 posted 2001-05-24 01:32 AM

My mom is heavily into astrology.  Me I am more skeptical but still think that there may be something to it and that I just haven't figured it out yet.  What I am about to tell you is what I have gathered on what my mom believes and not necessarily what I believe.  First off those birthday books are just too general and don't cover even 90% of the info.  The thing about astrology is that it is based on when you were born.  Year, month, day, hour, minutes and even(in some cases) seconds of your birth.  Also your chart is such that it doesn't predict what you will be.  It is simply put a blueprint of what can and might be and explain why you have problems in certain areas and no problems in others.  But like all blueprints they can be changed or modified due to circumstances that happen in your life and the choices you make.  Now this is only what I have gathered from my mom so I may be a little off on somethings but I don't think I am by much.  An interesting not is that by chinese astrolgy I am a dragon.  Well I have two best friends that are also dragon.  What is so wierd about that?  Will according to the chinese alstrologers I shouldn't even be friends remotely.  You see my compatibility with other dragon should be next to nill.  So needless to say I find astrology entertaining to say the least.

The White Wolf

If life is just a game, when does it end cause I want to get to what is real.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Astrology

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary