navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Moral Dilemmas and Solutions
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic Moral Dilemmas and Solutions Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea

0 posted 2000-10-17 11:04 PM

I've been reading the dilemmas recently posted with a big "something is wrong here" feeling for the last two days but I wasn't sure why.

I think the reason is that I fell into the classical trap of following the question and not working around it or questioning the question (LR did too) as too vague.

The ethical thing to do here is to provide solutions so that events such as these don't happen or at least are minimized. In Jim's question for example can we lower the draw bridge and save the child (perhaps at the cost of losing his legs)?

The fact that we can envision such a dilemma means, by definition, that we can work or prepare for a solution. It is wrong, unethical, immoral, to remain passive and let such a situation go without the discussion of it's prevention and/or minimization.

No, we can not envision every problem that will come up, sometimes we will lose to the unexpected, sometimes we will do our best (in preparation or in the attempt to do what we have already cosidered as 'the plan in such an event') and we will fail.

We will make mistakes.

We may fail for lack of realistic resources.

But it is immoral, to my mind, to simply accept either/or questions without offering potential solutions around these specific problems.

If we consider a lose/lose situation now, it is our responsibility to try to solve it.

Brad

© Copyright 2000 Brad - All Rights Reserved
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
1 posted 2000-10-18 10:54 AM

I don't disagree Brad because I don't believe in the Kobiashi Maru scenario either... however -- when speaking hypothetically I think it's important to address some situations that are classic double repulsion scenarios...or attraction/repulsion scenarios...

the drawbridge scenario was truly the classic double attraction and double repulsion and illustrates how the human animal will always move toward the closer attraction...

but -- in reality -- I agree we have to mitigate as much as possible and that's also worthy of discussion

[This message has been edited by Local Rebel (edited 10-18-2000).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Moral Dilemmas and Solutions

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary