navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » A dead horse
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic A dead horse Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration

0 posted 2000-10-16 12:43 PM

Out of curiosity - Do you think there can ever truly be a conclusion to a philosophical debate?

Though I haven't posted all the time, I certainly HAVE kept an eye on this forum. Some of the opinions that I've read here have been quite profound, and I rarely fail to learn something new with each topic started.

But the one thing I've noticed is that there seems to be no concrete finis to each discussion. Can one ever exist, or will varying opinions and beliefs cause each issue to end up a "dead horse?"

(BTW - Even if that is the case, I still see the conversations as being wholly worthwhile... it doesn't hurt [usually...lol] to hear a different POV, and there's always more to learn!)

Chris

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited 10-16-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 C.G. Ward - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2000-10-16 02:45 PM

I forget who said it...sigh...and I tried to look it up again, but I still can't find me damned quotes...but for what it's worth:

"There are no conclusions.  There is only the point where we tire of thinking..."

*shrugs*  Don't know who actually said it, or even if that is an exact quote--but I like it...lol

RainbowGirl
Member Elite
since 1999-07-31
Posts 3023
United Kingdom
2 posted 2000-10-16 05:47 PM

Chris: It might end up a "dead horse" but it's a great learning process, or least it is for me...different cultures; backgrounds; religious beliefs; age groups and differing ethics ..so for me, I can only ever learn from that....I'm not sure that it matters whether a conclusion can or will ever be reached but it's fascinating to read the thought processes..  

HUSG

[This message has been edited by RainbowGirl (edited 10-16-2000).]

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
3 posted 2000-10-16 05:58 PM

I think some reach conclusions -- others don't -- I know I have...

but then agian -- I may be crazy...

anybody need a lunatic?

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
4 posted 2000-10-16 06:13 PM

Hey, I agree with what everybody has said here. I never do that.  

If a question is satisfactorily 'answered', it simple moves into the realm of what we call science (in all of Ron's variations) or some other form of thinking (dogma, common sense, etc).

If nothing is ever truly answered, then it all stays in the realm of philosophy.

I think LR is right though we all reach conclusions, tentative as they are, even though they are, at the same time, in the process of changing. The learning process is constant even if we don't always know it's happening. Maybe the one difference between what we call philosophy and everything else is that the process is clearer.

Maybe not.  

Brad

JP
since 1999-05-25
Posts 1343
Loomis, CA
5 posted 2000-10-17 02:11 PM

Haven't we been told that it is not the destination, but the journey, that is important (I think Chrysler said that...  )

I like what Serenity had to say "...tire of thinking". In the end I don't believe we ever reach conclusions, we merely pause at a reststop, or a senic point...

Yesterday is ash, tomorrow is smoke; only today does the fire burn.
Nil Desperandum, Fata viem invenient

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » A dead horse

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary