navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Invitation To Dinner
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic Invitation To Dinner Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Honeybee
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-26
Posts 5372
Ontario, CANADA

0 posted 2000-07-13 07:19 PM

If you had the chance to invite 3-5 people (dead or alive) to your dinner party, who would it be and why?

My List:

1)  The first and most important person on my list would be the world-acclaimed poet and writer William Shakespeare, I have always admired his work, how his plays and sonnets explore the nature of man, celebrations of love, life and how they geniusly criticize the downfalls and degeneration of society.  To meet the genius behind those works would be very exciting and the conversations would most likely be very intriguing.

2) Okay this one is purely superficial, I would invite the best baseball player in the world - Shawn Green.  I have always admired his talent, the fact that he consistently donates to children's charities and it doesn't hurt that he looks so hot in that tight uniform of his    Let's just say that he would sit next to me  

3) If this could be at all possible, I would want to meet God, it would be an opportunity of a lifetime.  Naturally, as a curious human, I would have so many questions that I would ask, I wouldn't know where to begin.  God, of course would sit at the head of the table

4) Since I was a little girl, I have always admired Judy Garland, for her acting ability and her amazing and powerful voice.  I would love to meet her.  

I look forward to everyone's answers, this will be interesting    Don't hesitate to be creative.

The beauty of poetry gives me wings to fly

© Copyright 2000 Melissa P. Long-Monette - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2000-07-13 08:13 PM

1.  Jesus Christ--because God knows I have questions--not to mention "wine" insurance--(sorry Dovie, couldn't resist...)

2.  Carl Jung-----to help me interpret the answers to my questions.

3.  John Lennon---just because I love John Lennon.  Besides, his questions would probably be better than mine.

4.  Bubba---------he's my dog, now dead over  a year...I miss him terribly.

5.  Mystery guest--just know him as the love of my life, and nothing would be complete without him.

[This message has been edited by serenity (edited 07-13-2000).]

deb
since 2000-07-11
Posts 44
Reading, Pa., USA
2 posted 2000-07-13 10:56 PM

Micheal Morrill
Plato
David Hume
Nietzsche
sidhartha Guatama

All extremely intelligable thinkers

[This message has been edited by deb (edited 07-13-2000).]

Tim Gouldthorp
since 2000-01-03
Posts 170

3 posted 2000-07-14 03:26 AM

Ah, a perennial question!  My choices:

James Joyce (my favorite writer)
Jesus (of course.  BYO loaves and fishes)
Mystery guest per Serenity's.  In fact I would have just her alone as she would be the embodied quiddity of all these guests, as they are woven and unwoven through history..)
Mr Bean (just to make things a bit more interesting )
Myself (because always and everywhere as we wander through history, we are forever are meeting ourselves)

Deb, I can just see Neitszche saying:  "Pass the plate, Plato" (sorry, i've gotten a little silly)... They'd be at each others throats!
-Tim

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
4 posted 2000-07-14 03:50 PM

1. Leonardo De Vici- to talk about art and his inventions but also about the theory that he faked the image of Jesus on the Tourain Shroud.

2. God - I have a lot of questions to ask him that have been bugging me for quite some time.

3. Toss between Slyvia Plath and Dlyan Thomas. If they came as couple would it count as one or two. Ok Slyvia Plath to talk about poetry and for a few pointers.

4. Richey Edwards of the Manic Street Preachers, a very intelligent person who would provide great after dinner debate and also talk about music the band and the details surrounding his mysterious and still unsolved disappearance in 1995.    

5. Satan, the devil. to get his side of the story, beside it would be interesting to see how he and God get on with each other.

"I've been too honest with myself I should have lied like everybody else" faster-Manic street preachers.

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
5 posted 2000-07-18 03:09 AM

The five people I would like to invite to dinner are:

1. Trevor -- I'm a Trevorist so he's my equivalent to god.  

2. Jim -- the equivalent to Martin Luther without the bowel problem.  

3. Ron -- I don't think there is an equivalent.  

4. Nan -- so that we can have that grand debate that we never have.  

5. Poet DeVine -- so I can write on her.  

Brad

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
6 posted 2000-07-18 10:03 AM

Brad! What on earth are you talking about? LOL

1. Ron - the wisest man I know
2. Tom Hanks - my favorite actor
3. Queen Elizabeth I - a strong woman ruler
4. Hitler - just because
5. Mother Teresa - to humble us all

I think this group would make dinner conversation so interesting that I could serve bread and water and no one would notice.

[This message has been edited by Poet deVine (edited 07-18-2000).]

Dennis L. White
since 2000-02-17
Posts 1463
Michigan, U.S.A.
7 posted 2000-07-18 11:58 AM

Melissa,
  These would be the five I would invite:

Jesus-I have a few questions for him
Abraham Lincoln-would like to know more about him
Kalil Gabran-I love his poetry
Plato-I'd love to hear him explain a few things
Mahatma Ghandi-this man has captured my attention

I know it might be a bizzare mix, but could you just imagine the conversation?

Dennis :^)

[This message has been edited by Dennis L. White (edited 07-18-2000).]

ashley cain
since 2000-05-12
Posts 30
Texas
8 posted 2000-07-18 12:13 PM

The five people i would like to invite for dinner would be:

1 Jesus Christ, of course.  I think it would be amazing to meet him in person and just be able to discuss how I feel sometimes.

2 Nicolas Cage- because he is such a powerful actor and person, and I have always admired that ability in him.

3 Edgar Allen Poe because I would like to see the person behind the words and frightening appearance.  He has always seemed to have such a brilliant mind.

4 Stevie Nicks.  She has such a great way of looking at things, and her voice is so beautiful and natural. And her work isn't just thrown together.

5 Susanna Kaysen.  I would just like to know more behind the psychiatric hospital she had to stay in.  She must have been a brave person to have to stay in one of those for a year.

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
9 posted 2000-07-18 09:16 PM

Thanks for the thought, Brad ... my wife might say that you are being a bit presumptuous with the last part, though.  

Okay ... here is mine:

1.  Brad (really ... not just because he picked me) -- poetry, philosophy and beer ... I think he might be my soul mate!  

2.  Trevor -- Who wouldn't want to meet his Maker?

3.  Philip (Poertree) -- my first online bud.

4.  The Red Hot Chili Peppers -- gotta keep the guys entertained!

5.  The Victoria's Secret models -- see "4" above.  

Alwye
Member Elite
since 1999-06-16
Posts 3850
In the space between moments
10 posted 2000-07-18 11:58 PM

Great question Melissa.    Hmmm, let's see here...

1)Emily Dickenson- I've always been curious about her mind and how she could create so much truth about life in so few words.

2)Hitler- Yanno, under the face of power, he was a really lazy man...I'd like to chew him out.  If you're going to be a nasty murderer, you could at least get up before noon..

3)God- I'd like to know the truth so we can put all the religious debating to rest for good...(but somehow I think even talking to God himself wouldn't stop that..)

4)Athena- The goddess of wisdom...I think she'd probably have a few pieces of wisdom that I could use...

5)Abrahm, my boyfriend- I think he'd love to be a part of such a conversation as I would...

Now Melissa, can you use your magical Poetess powers and make it happen?!  Hehehe.  

*Krista Knutson*

"You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back."
-Barbara DeAngelis

Dusk Treader
since 1999-06-18
Posts 1187
St. Paul, MN
11 posted 2000-07-19 12:21 PM

Well, well, I like this question! Hmmm... let me see...

1. J.R.R. Tolkien - I have to talk with the father of modern fantasy! My favorite author, from Balrogs, to Valar, to Morgoth and Sauron to Elves and men and dwarves... A genius in my opinion.

2. God - Not only could I sell my house and furniture as holy relics afterwards but I could disocover the Question of life, the universe and everything! (LOL, HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy, anyone?)

3. My muse - I'd teach that little lady not to leave me hanging!

4. The members of Pink Floyd - I adore their musical talent, and I want to see if Roger Waters is in a drug haze all the time...

5. Krista - my girlfriend.. just because it wouldn't be a party without her! (and I think she can get my muse in line too...)

Abrahm Simons

"Keep on dreamin' boy 'cause when you stop dreaming it's time to die" - Blind Melon

Trevor
since 1999-08-12
Posts 700
Canada
12 posted 2000-07-20 11:46 AM

Well I guess it depends on the mood I was in.....

...if I was in a philanthropistic mood I'd invite 5 strangers from a starving nation to have a feast of a lifetime.

...if I was in a horny mood I'd invite 5 nympho Penthouse Playmates  

...if I felt like hammering down power I'd invite Brad, Jim, my brother Troy, God and the Devil....I figure by the time that dinner was through we'd have God disbelieving in the afterlife and the Devil crying.

...if I had to choose a realistic and possible scenario I would choose my apostles Jim and Brad...hey every diety needs his followers to break bread with , my brother and friends Toby and Sherry.

...if I were to be in an odd mood I'd invite Salvidor Dali, Lizzy Borden, Groucho Marx, Marquis De Sade and Mother Theresa.

all in all to be completely honest if I had to really choose one I'd go with the Penthouse girls    

Honeybee
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-26
Posts 5372
Ontario, CANADA
13 posted 2000-07-20 07:03 PM

Wow, I love all of your choices for guests, I'll say that Oprah would want to tape some.

LMAO@Trevor's response.  Hey, if I had the power I'd give you the penthouse babes  

Take care,
Melissa Honeybee

The beauty of poetry gives me wings to fly

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
14 posted 2000-07-21 11:41 AM

Hummm let's see:

Jenni                       because she's unbeatable in a good argument
Jim                          because he's unbeatable in a good argument (and he chose me  )
Kamla                      because she's unbeatable in a good argument
Mrs Thatcher           because she's unbeatable in a good argument
My Mother-in -Law because all of the rest of them together might just convince her to be quiet

(and if i should die in mysterious circumstances it means she joined Passions and read this thread ... )

Philip

jefsand
since 2000-07-15
Posts 18

15 posted 2000-07-21 09:04 PM

King Robert the Bruce - A real hero!

Tolkien - He taught me to read!

Brahms - To play the piano!

Ben Franklin - For flying a kite!

Meg Ryan - Just because!

Neat question,
jefsand

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Invitation To Dinner

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary