navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #26 » Bad Trips And Relativity
Open Poetry #26
Post A Reply Post New Topic Bad Trips And Relativity Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
icebox
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 4383
in the shadows

0 posted 2003-05-24 07:50 PM

We used to wear flowers in our hair
and listen to Dylan and the Doors,
and the Stones,
and smoke a lot;
the world,
it seemed,
could be done over
in paisley and peace,
it was the peace that comes
from being numb,
but we were young
we were young.

War back then was just another reason
to get high
and mighty,
to walk around
with mushroom soup for brains,
sticking flowers in the guns,
running naked through Chicago,
sticking truth in their ears,
telling ourselves we really did
levitate the Pentagon.

Until the trench coat man
with promises and money, lots of money,
said all I had to do was all I had to do
for all the money I could make,
it didn't take a genius to figure out a plan;
what did it matter where the killings were
as long as all the killings were
for God and country's sake;
Hell
it was only time and money after all,
it was only time and money after all.

It all helped me to believe we'd beat him,
by dealing death we'd cheat him,
scam the reaper live forever,
not just in our deeds
but forever young,
like an awakened sleeper,
to rage somehow some day against
the Johnsons-McNamaras-Nixons-Daleys
and the rest of all the check book patriots,
well
we were just
the best we'd ever seen,
the best we'd ever seen.

The last time I was in the Haight
street whores wore granny dresses
so salesmen from Des Moines,
and Akron,
could go home to tell their buddies
in the club
how they had a hippie,
in the Haight;
how times have changed,
how times have changed.

Remember TIME and LIFE?
Before anthrax, god's own freaks, missing nukes,
earth killing asteroid streaks?
Money that evaporates,
religions always based on love
teaching us our private hates?
When spin was what our tires did
not politicians and CNN?
They used to warn us
to the bone
about the evil of the life and times
in which we always seemed to feel at home;
now we are them,
now we are them.

White papers and documentaries
were strident warnings everywhere,
about hippie acid in the reservoirs
how we had to watch the water
to protect the body politic,
about the powders that we buried in our genes,
how drugs and sex and rock'n roll would rot our brains,
when we should be getting high on life;

that's what we'd read in any paper
whenever we were straight enough
to read about their hate.
It wasn't often we were straight.

They must have been right
about those drugs building up
inside us all distorting our reality,
so we ignore what's there to see;
it must be
why wide-eyed panic hides naively
behind a breathing mask,
why terrorists who were released
on presidential pardons flew back
becoming ashes in the rain that dried
to powder on the windows looking out
on deadly gardens,
why I don't drink the water anymore,
why sunsets get redder every day.

The cities now,
they say,
may have to be abandoned;
the cities
may have to be abandoned.

©2003 by icebox

© Copyright 2003 icebox - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2003-05-24 08:14 PM

What a trip this is. And I do mean a journey through time and culture and (perhaps) one man's life.

A fabulous overview of passages, written with wit, insight, and an edge of sarcasm that didn't go unappreciated.

I liked this VERY much--it had the voice of protest which it seemingly mocks and rings with the truth of an eyewitness account. An edgy look backward without the glamour of romanticism. To sum it up, this is the best thing I've read in awhile. (In my humble opinion of course.)

You never disappoint. (I just tend to leave your threads fairly annoyed with myself--grin--but that's a good thing.)

icebox
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 4383
in the shadows
2 posted 2003-05-24 08:22 PM

serenity blaze ~ Thank you for reading my poem.  Your comments the other night made me more aware of the placement of line breaks.  I have re-written this piece many times and each time I put it away thinking it is finished.  When sometime later, I come across it and read it, I will often remember other flashes of remembrance and then I re-write it.  Who knows, maybe now that will stop.
Thank you for your comments.

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
3 posted 2003-05-24 09:26 PM

Huh. For some reason I get the feeling that there is more to this than what can be gleaned from just one reading. My second reading of this left me contemplative and somewhat amazed at how much of this I know from both my fascination with the 60's and 70's and 80's and my own experience... an experience that teenagers are living firsthand in today's world.  Made me think about some of the choices that may be looming in my own future... thank you for the reality check
Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
4 posted 2003-05-24 09:36 PM

No need to change a thing! The "Bad Trips" made for good reading!  

Warm hugs,
EA

Patricia
Member Elite
since 2003-04-06
Posts 2160
Missouri
5 posted 2003-05-24 09:51 PM

I loved this.  I was just telling a friend that I was born too late.  I wanted to be a part of this time...the revolution that took place in this country.  I still love reading about that period of time as I did when I was a teen.  

You have so many great lines in this piece.  But in its entirety, you captured the period as I know it to be...with new light shed on events from your unique perspective.

Gosh, I think I will have to revisit this era a few more times through your eyes.  

Extraordinary, Icebox
Extraordinary, Icebox

-Patricia

whiskey
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 1999-12-28
Posts 1278
Australia
6 posted 2003-05-24 10:11 PM

This is great I always wanted to be born in this era, and I was born a decade too late. This piece is a wonderful ride though the times you described I could feel what it was like to be around then.

Julie

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
7 posted 2003-05-24 10:50 PM

You've taken me on a magical memory trip through time, revisiting part of my reality, and reminding me why I:
stuck flowers in the barrel of a gun, why I marched and chanted for Peace through Golden Gate Park, why I marched through the Bank Of America protesting the way they used our local University investment funds, why I shook hands with Jane Fonda, why I still believe in believing we can be better than we really are.
I'll be keeping this piece, dear icebox.

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
8 posted 2003-05-25 12:46 PM

I lived through  that time...or maybe despite it.
I was one of those straight ones, never chancing or daring or finding the need to.

But I remember the details clearly, watching on the sidelines. And your words bring it all back.

M

icebox
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 4383
in the shadows
9 posted 2003-05-25 02:08 AM

Skyfire ~ You are right.  The 60's and early 70's for me are a kaleidoscopic somewhat disjointed mix of images and memories.  Some pleasant ones, but not many.  It was a busy time for me and I went many places and did many things, some I wish I could remember and most I wish I could forget.  Thank you for reading my poem.

Earth Angel ~ Thank you for reading my poem.  I am glad you enjoyed it.

Patricia ~ Some important parts of the world changed back then and in the USA there really was a revolution; the country actually came closer to a real civil war than most people will ever know.  Maybe when all of us who lived through it are finally gone, historians will untangle it all and be able tell the truth.  Enjoy the music and the hopes and dreams, the sense of eternal playfulness that was common.  

whiskey ~ I think it really was the last decade of true freedom.  Personal security was still a matter of personal responsibility.  Identities were easily changed and starting over was a long standing American tradition.  For many, drugs and sex and rock and roll music really were major food groups.  In some ways it was a decade long celebration after the burial of the 19th century.  It was then that the majority of the planet's leaders, friend and foe, had for the first time been born in the 20th century.  Some parallel of this will occur later in this 21st century.  Perhaps humans will do better by then. *wink*

Midnitesun ~ I bet you did stick flowers in gun barrels! *laugh* Golden Gate Park was quite a world back then. "I really love the, "girls say yes to boys who say no" movement!   It was an innocence that was painful to lose.  Thank you for reading this and for your kind comments.

nakdthoughts ~ Yes, many of us survived despite the times and the circumstances, despite what with hindsight was perhaps good or perhaps bad judgement.  I was fairly old before I realized that my life had been less ordinary than I thought it was while I was living through those times. Thank you for reading this and for your comments.

My children sometimes ask me about those years.  I tell them stories out of context.  Little vignettes like polished stones, but I work at never telling them enough to connect the dots.  They know me as a different person than the person I was then.  I prefer that and I think it is best for them.  Despite all the celebration of life which occurred back then, there also was a dark side to that decade.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

10 posted 2003-05-25 02:44 PM

Thank you for the reply and explanation. I thought maybe I had misunderstood the tone.

And I hope you'll decide to share more of these stories. Back to the top with this.

Bill Charles
Member Patricius
since 2000-07-11
Posts 10619
highways, & byways, for now
11 posted 2003-05-25 02:54 PM

icebox - so true, so true...

BC

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
12 posted 2003-05-25 02:57 PM

Icebox

I lived in the Berkeley, San Francisco area in the early 60's, it was such a time of change in me, reflected in the bigger place of world.  Yet in my youth and folly my focus was on me.

It was a blessed time,
fragrant with bright buildings
and silver slanted rain
on nights with no umbrella,
wild and free in youthful negligence,
that lovely dimpling
on the satin water
where shacks of light drowned.

There were verdant hills
melting houses
   muted colors of fog
     glistening bright steel
      glass eyed buildings
that watched
with such gleaming strength
that reverie burned.

Thanks for bringing back a memory...some bitter, yet sweet.  

icebox
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 4383
in the shadows
13 posted 2003-05-28 09:58 PM

Bill Charles ~ Thank you for reading this and for your comment.

Martie ~ I hope you enjoyed your memories; thank you for reading mine.

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
14 posted 2006-04-07 06:12 PM

This belongs back at the top. Excellent. late
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #26 » Bad Trips And Relativity

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary