navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #24 » In Her Garden Of Revelation
Open Poetry #24
Post A Reply Post New Topic In Her Garden Of Revelation Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

0 posted 2003-01-31 05:46 AM

'His lips are like lilies
dripping with myrrh' (Song of Songs, 5:13)

'The sluggard buries his hand in the dish
he will not even bring it back to his mouth' (Proverbs, 19:24)

It’s all been a collapse
she waited out
       and now smells the freshness
     of concrete inner city
   walks there

even by the water
yes
even there

the rise of harbour swells
reflect only the America’s Cup yachts
and memories have drowned somehow

that marvellous broken-hearted
saturation and she can’t say
she believes him now
is that a miracle? – to understand
what love goes beyond

perhaps he’ll go outside
and stare into the sky with a haunted
frown and feel affected
in another Heathcliff
                   moment
(or retreat to whatever arms
encircle him in human adoration
– self-worth and lust satisfied for another
passage)

she hears it in songs
like any Harlequin sorrow queen:
should she open out the
dark-dancing in the fields
feeling all those gossamer chains:
‘believe me’ sang the faithless man
‘believe me, it is this time’

and she dances her fable

of cultures, kauri trees, restaurants
and word games, seas – nights out in
quiet, under towers,
distant faith:
and a finale of a figure in black theatrics
‘it was never enough,
never enough’

–there are no lights
across the bay
and the pier is now
an end

© Copyright 2003 Kamla Mahony - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2003-01-31 07:02 AM

...is that a miracle? – to understand
what love goes beyond...

Tend your garden, dear, there are still revelations to be held...

tender, tender...

and finally!

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
2 posted 2003-01-31 07:31 AM

The pier does come to an end eventually - and we return to solid ground to begin anew... Nice to see you post, m'friend...
Seymour Tabin
Member Empyrean
since 1999-07-07
Posts 31720
Tamarac Fla
3 posted 2003-01-31 07:38 AM

Severn
Revelations can go both ways, well done.

Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania
4 posted 2003-01-31 07:42 AM

You are so lovely
Your words grow beautifully with you
So warming to read your poetry
It is a comforting friend just as you are
Love you
Liz

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

5 posted 2003-01-31 08:39 AM

Well...just look at the lovely K!!!!

"and now smells the freshness
     of concrete inner city"

--this struck me as contradictory, then I remembered I live in New Orleans--

"saturation and she can’t say
she believes him now
what love goes beyond"

--this, coupled with the above makes sense of it all together. I see the freshness now as healing--

"perhaps he’ll go outside
frown and feel affected
in another Heathcliff
                   moment
passage)"

--not without an edge there, but smiling, it's a compelling visual,( and oh boy! Do I know about that bitter edge, so I smile and nod here)

"and a finale of a figure in black theatrics
‘it was never enough,
never enough’

–there are no lights
across the bay
and the pier is now
an end"

--You closed this so artfully--quietly and discreetly dramatic, but with all the grace of a heavy curtain dropping slowly, signalling the end of a play.

I sigh. Applaud. And stand, waiting for your curtain call. Brava, lovely K! Roses...to you.

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
6 posted 2003-01-31 09:04 AM

(big hugggsssssssssss) Oh Kamla, even when the pier ends there, there is still an ocean of revelations to explore and even when it seems small wide, think deep also! (sigh) This is powerful, sweet friend, I love it, we all love you so much! You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Kamla, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

"Underneath your clothes there's an endless story..."

Shakira

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
7 posted 2003-01-31 11:15 AM

Kamla

It is so good to see you posting again, DLP.  

"It’s all been a collapse
she waited out
     of concrete inner city
   walks there"

I like the juxtiposition of fresh and inner city because it explains so much
A reference to time taking care of things, like grief and heartbreak and that even among the decay (relationship?) finally there is new feeling.  

"the rise of harbour swells
and memories have drowned somehow"

Even the water/harbour...must have been a special place but now is just ordinary (if America's Cup yachts are ordinary, and I think here they are, next to the huge thing of the heart).

"to understand
what love goes beyond"  

Interesting here that you say "goes beyond" not goes away...the difference is that there is still love and you haven't gone past it to something else, but that it has gone beyond...I take this to mean it is big enough to go beyond the ordinary.

" marvelous broken-hearted" helps explain that...and again I like the use of marvelous to explain broken hearted.  I understand this as I see grief that way also.

"Harlequin sorrow queen" and "gossamer chains:" "and she dances her fable"...almost sarcastic but more bitter perhaps?

"pier is now
an end"

the perfect closure!  Resigned, looking at things realistically, bitter sweet.

All from the heart, clearly...with fresh imagery and raw emotion. Love you lots!

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
8 posted 2003-01-31 01:35 PM

speechless

I'm sorry

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
9 posted 2003-01-31 03:57 PM

There is some great imagery here some amazing lines but this one struck me the most.

"is that a miracle? – to understand
what love goes beyond"

I stand here in awe, your heart has spoken with clarity and beauty.. well really I don't have the words..except to say you rock. but you knew that already.  

got hips like cinderella must be having a good shame talking sweet about nothing
cookie i think you're tame" The Pixies

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

10 posted 2003-01-31 04:26 PM

Kari - hugs Mama K...I know, it's been awhile. Actually it's been around 5 months since I wrote anything. I was surprised to see this emerge - been putting it off you see. More will follow perhaps, hah, if I let myself: If I feel more than just the bone-dry writer's block I've been feeling for so long...thank you as always for your support of my writing, I so appreciate it...

Nan - Ah, words of wisdom from the wise. (Isn't it more like a shock? ~snigger~). Love ya...

Sy - Hurro you...always nice to be read by you sir...

Lizzy - feeling bad. I'm such a bad communicator. I really must get off my lazy butt and write to you yes? And thank you for your very kind words. Hugs..

It's Karen! With the first of my two wonderful interpretations. At the end of my replies I'll give a little line by line for both you and Martie, and anyone else who might be interested. Thanks for the roses my friend..I hope you and your family are doing well...huggles..

Noah - well yes. Thanks hon...

MLP - hey you...what I really love about your and Karen's interpretations is that you've seen things I didn't intend...I simply love that...yay bounce...so yes, see interpretation below..

shadows - I could come up with some wise tripe about learning experiences and whatnot but I'll just say 'thanks' instead. Hugs..

Bri - yeah I know. ROTF ~snicker~ Actually, that line seems to have connected with many. Hugs m'friend.

Line by line of IHGOR..

This is a personal poem, so some references have specific personal meaning - and therefore might not make much sense to anyone else. Which is fine by me because then they're open for interpretation. Also I can't say that I plan each line, so sometimes I finish a poem and have to um, interpret my own stuff. ROTF...

Biblical quotes:

First - words are saccharine, meaningless, can't translate over to reality. Lilies hide in the night. It is not a complimentary quote, but rather my own ironic interpretation, taken from the love-song book in the bible.
Second - the 'he' subject can only ever go halfway, has not the guts(?) to make the full journey. Both connected to lip imagery - in a visual sense, and in the sense of communication - ie, the mouth and words.

'It’s all been a collapse
she waited out
     of concrete inner city
   walks there

even by the water
yes
even there'

Pretty simple actually - the harbour was a personal place. Connected by me to him. Now I see only the boats...the memories have lost their potency. As to the contradiction between the freshness of an inner city...irony. I think just irony. I didn't work for this line - it was just there.

'the rise of harbour swells

that marvellous broken-hearted
saturation and she can’t say
she believes him now
what love goes beyond'

First part of course connected to the loss of the memory. Yet, still - there is loss in there, as even the boats - these great icons of wealth, luxury, and the noble spirit - fail to make much of an impression.

And the key part of the poem I think, which several of you picked up on. Connected to the biblical quotes...words, meaningless words without action to follow. No belief that it's beyond love. That anything that happened had anything to do with love at all. And also - 'beyond' love had not so much to do with moving beyond it. But realising what is appropriate when you love and what isn't. That there might perhaps be certain fences you don't cross...certain things you can expect and that it is ok to expect things within the boundaries of love, and that some things aren't ok for some people.

'perhaps he’ll go outside
frown and feel affected
in another Heathcliff
                   moment
passage)'

This comes from a personal memory, crossing over to the present - wondering if it could happen as a result of my words. Or if, as I think, the latter part in parenthesis is much more likely. Heathcliff? Well...that's one to figure out..

'she hears it in songs
like any Harlequin sorrow queen:
should she open out the
feeling all those gossamer chains:
‘believe me’ sang the faithless man
‘believe me, it is this time’

I was thinking of the heroines in harlequin romances...their comic tragedies with their predicted happy endings. Harlequin imagery tying to Heathcliff imagery, tying to the imagery of the word. Dance and song translating the spoken word into a drama as both Martie and Karen picked up on. And it really can be quite a drama sometimes - one that plays over and over..'gossamer chains' has personal meaning. 'I believe, it is this time' links both to a previous poem I wrote a long long time ago, and also of course - it's a faithless line that has no substance.

'and she dances her fable

quiet, under towers,
distant faith:
‘it was never enough,
never enough’

Fable is the story - again a link to the literature imagery. The images listed are components of experience within that fable. Things that just weren't enough...though they deliberately omit things like being close to someone, bonding, sharing, talking, loving. They are just surface things - just as words without action are surface things. More like - words without the ABILITY to take action I think...the figure in black theatrics is the subject 'he' - just a little imagery of mourning black - something I didn't think too much about.

'–there are no lights
across the bay
and the pier is now
an end'

no lights across the bay - another personal reference. But now, the pier is just that - an end. There is no further to go, the pier has lost it's symbolism of hope, love and trust. It's just a wooden structure. Part of my city. Yes, Karen - the curtain finally falls. Exit stage left for good eh?

There's my take on it...

hugs all

K

[This message has been edited by Severn (01-31-2003 04:31 PM).]

Jamie
Member Elite
since 2000-06-26
Posts 3168
Blue Heaven
11 posted 2003-01-31 04:38 PM

I think some of what struck me the most in this are probably misinterpretations of what you intended K

quote:
'His lips are like lilies
dripping with myrrh' (Song of Songs, 5:13)

probably simply meant that something that is supposed to be sweet and beautiful is found to be bitter and distasteful..... but what hit me hardest was that the myrrh of the bible had high value as a medicine.

quote:
the rise of harbour swells

Again, I doubt it was your intention to use this line to convey how empty something once so magical has now become-- in that even these majestic sailing ships ( the best in the world at their purpose ) are in fact "only' America's Cup yachts. This to me is perhaps the image that aches the most in the entire poem.

quote:

in another Heathcliff
                   moment
are the indentations meant to make one stumble just about here? If so well done.

quote:
should she open out the
feeling all those gossamer chains

one of my favourite lines in the poem, i think it speaks volumes on emptiness. (as least to me)

quote:
quiet, under towers,
distant faith:
‘it was never enough,
never enough’

–there are no lights
across the bay
and the pier is now
an end

I feel the sorting out of broken promises from unrealised dreams-- and of coming to the end of the pier and looking out over the ocean to new possiblilites-- though i much doubt that was your intent-- that probably being simply that this is in of itself "only" an end.

I sure am glad someone once said that what the reader interprets in a poem is never wrong-- just different maybe.

HL>LK

J

ps.. and after reading what you said about it-- I find the one thing I was right about was my misinterpretations    
hugs

There is society where none intrudes, by the deep sea, and music in its roar.
byron

[This message has been edited by Jamie (01-31-2003 04:55 PM).]

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

12 posted 2003-01-31 05:04 PM

about damned time....

five months is way too long...
you don't start writing more I think we'll send all our elected officials over there to give you guys a taste of what it is like to
really suffer loss.

Duncan
Member Ascendant
since 2001-08-07
Posts 5455

13 posted 2003-01-31 05:08 PM

I just typed an entire response to your poem, got offline to take a call, came back and it's gone.  Vanished.  

wayoutwalt
Member Elite
since 1999-06-22
Posts 4870
TEXAS (it's all big)
14 posted 2003-01-31 11:43 PM

everything has been explained to me.... rock 'n roll heart
BluesSerenade
Member Patricius
since 2001-10-23
Posts 10549
By the Seaside
15 posted 2003-02-01 01:28 PM

She dances her fable~  I like that!

I felt you wrote the many stages of love,
and what's more you've managed to write of the heart's acceptance with a keen resolve.

Anyway, this was brilliant even if my interpretation missed the mark.

Dr Pepper Freak
since 2003-01-30
Posts 72
CA
16 posted 2003-02-01 02:36 PM

Much enjoyed this piece, great job!

It's not the load that breaks you down, it's the way you carry it. ~ Lena Horne

Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
17 posted 2003-02-01 03:27 PM

This is amazing!
I'm so pleased I didn't miss this gem of yours Kamla.
It has been awhile since I have read you.
Yes..indeed the pier does come to an end...
Brava!!  Well done!
~Hugs, Nancy~

~Time has cast a spell on you,
  So you won't ever forget me~

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
18 posted 2003-02-01 05:12 PM

Severn this is a brilliant write, which of course I've come to expect from you. However there are too few from you and I have only the archives to fall back on. I hope you'll grace these pages a little more often.

[This message has been edited by Aenimal (02-01-2003 06:11 PM).]

garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
19 posted 2003-02-01 06:17 PM

Well, well......I finally see a poem from the great "Severn"....who, by the way, I thought was a guy, for some reason.
Since I've been here, I wondered why I only saw your replies, never a poem.....now I know why (you haven't written for 5 months).
Anyway, from the critiques that you've given on other poetry, you know  way too much about poetry for me to say anything at all. I know nothing about the technicalities or form of poetry, which I'm sure you know if you've ever read any of my "stuff".
I will say that I certainly enjoyed reading your poem......
Ethel...garysgirl  

Dark Angel
Member Patricius
since 1999-08-04
Posts 10095

20 posted 2003-02-01 10:55 PM

Masterful SB..masterful!

adding to my library

mmy

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
21 posted 2003-02-02 03:40 PM

perhaps he’ll go outside
frown and feel affected
in another Heathcliff
                   moment
An interesting image here.
Perhaps he will...then again?
perhaps he shall miss
the cup of gold
he left bobbing in the sea
of humanity?

kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
22 posted 2003-02-03 06:21 AM

Hi Kamla,
Guess i have nothing much constructive to add. Darn, i didn't (and don't) even see how "freshness" and "inner city" can be contradictory. Despite your explanation and serenity and martie's takes on your poem, i think i am still missing out on a whole lot

I liked "marvellous broken-hearted saturation". Unlike Martie, I don't understand grief that way and so I guess that was a new perspective for me.

passage)

This stanza made me laugh out loud. I suspect i was embarrassed by how you revealed the mentality of empty modern people in such a matter-of-factly way. It's like you have hit me with a truth that i am not quite ready to admit to myself that my only immediate reaction is to laugh it off

[This message has been edited by kaile (02-03-2003 06:23 AM).]

regards2you
Member Elite
since 2002-10-01
Posts 3940
California
23 posted 2003-02-03 09:11 AM

Like receiving a gift this morning. Had read this earlier on; decided to come back later. So glad I waited. The poem and input from all, invaluable. To see so many minds at work on one poem is rewarding and a way to judge my own understanding. To have you take the time for explanations is wonderful. Enjoy this entire thread.
Yes, please...post more....

Hugs, Pat

..without surrender, be on good terms with all persons..
        "Desiderata"

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

24 posted 2003-02-04 12:57 PM

Back again

Jpooh - hey you...yes here I am so stop whinging...I don't really think you misinterpreted all that much; as far as it all goes you're pretty good at understanding what I'm saying. I think you just had slightly different takes on most things. Like the myrrh - wasn't so much concerned with taste per se...not bitter and distasteful...anyway I've already explained it lol. Medicine is certainly interesting - hah, in this case - bad bloody medicine...

The whole thing about the yachts. Don't know if I explained that well...let me check. (I did keep my explanation kinda brief, you know what a waffler I am). Hm, I kinda said it. It's more like - just absence. Nothing but a faint trace of loss...(which may or may not be entirely truthful, depending on my mood I guess).

Indentations - pauses, stumblings, halts...call it what you will

Yes, dark-dancing - emptiness indeed. Lots of emptiness in this poem really..

'I feel the sorting out of broken promises from unrealised dreams' - indeed, and also unrealistic dreams...New possibilities? No. I appreciate your interp dear..I do..

Huggles..

Ron - you make me laugh...What a shocking threat!! How unPC of you Sir...~still giggling~ (and I will try to write more, I'm tickled that you guys want to read what I write..it's cool!)

D - hey, I've had that happen too...unbelievably frustrating...so I'll just take it on faith that what you were going to say was good heh..

Walt - hi. I still think you're in another zone and if we all just adjust slightly we'll pick up what it is you're saying exactly.  

Blues - Heart's acceptance? I don't know...more like loss and numbness and forced resignation...thanks for you interp, as I said - I like it when people see things I don't intend myself..

Dr P - cheers ears...

Nancy - Thank you hon...glad you enjoyed it..

Aenimal - I'm trying, I'm trying! Lol..thanks for the brilliant, not what I'd call it myself (given I practically had to chew rocks to even get it out at all...)

garysgirl - Hey you..you know why I know about poetry? A four year degree in english, focusing on poetry a lot...that's it. We all learn in stages. I've noticed how self-deprecating you are in terms of poetry...you likely know more than you think, simply by reading and writing and participating here... Thanks for responding hon.. (you thought I was a guy?!! hah - don't worry, you're actually not the first!!)

Mmy - the library eh?? ~hushed awe~ hehehe...love ya...

Midnite - no, I doubt it. Believe me, it's an image that makes me think too..thankees..

Kaile - ok. Freshness inner city. Simply - he isn't in it anymore. I used to see him in it, all the time. Now I don't. Now it's fresh. So - not fresh as in meadow-fresh, but emotionally fresh. Actually the 'he' isn't an empty modern person at all...however, I'm glad that stanza gave you that reaction - that's kinda cool...another differing interpretation...(hey - you remember you had a rewrite of a poem you were going to send...? Just a reminder in case you forgot - OR, for all I know you haven't done it yet   ) Thanks you...

Pat - Hey there...Well, at least someone doesn't think I'm just a loudmouth who talks too much...~grin~ I'm glad you enjoyed the poem, and the critiques and explanations...have you thought about participating in Critical Analysis? You might really like it there...

K

[This message has been edited by Severn (02-04-2003 01:03 AM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #24 » In Her Garden Of Revelation

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary