navwin » Main Forums » Spiritual Journeys #2 » A Very Small Something
Spiritual Journeys #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic A Very Small Something Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa

0 posted 2014-01-16 05:56 AM

A VERY SMALL SOMETHING
http://soundcloud.com/diana-van-den-berg-2/a-very-small-something-prose

How wonderful it is that when the world seems most meaningless, when mankind seems most uncaring, when love, friends and happiness seem further away than ever before, there is always something, a very small something - or so it seems at the time - to bring us back into the fold of the loved and cared for - a gay garden, vital with colour and brilliance, yet humble and smiling;  a happy, lilting song from a forgotten childhood;  the comical almost human yawn or sigh of the family cat;  the warmth of street lights splashed on a rainwet road;  the sparkling, bright, white lights of houses in the distance, welcoming, friendly and definite;  the unwavering trust in the eyes of a child;  the familiar, warm glow brought by hot tea in a British throat;  the vitality of a lovely girl in a yellow dress;  the peaceful smile of a white-haired old lady made beautiful by suffering and sorrow;  the renewed staunch support of a friend thought lost;  the knowledge that one is needed;  the flickering smile of a child in great pain;  there is always something.  We are never left entirely alone in our loneliness - there is always something to help us bear our load on our long journey.  This something is known as the grace of God.

Owl
(Written when I was 18)

© Copyright 2014 Diana van den Berg - All Rights Reserved
Bluesy Socrateaser
Member Elite
since 2002-11-07
Posts 2417
In The Mirror
1 posted 2014-01-16 07:44 PM

One finds many new things and hovers over many older memories in deep contemplations. The latter becomes the former and the former slips into the latter as fluidly as time allows.

Your writing is always inspiring and from this discovery, apparently always has been.

Regards...

...just bein' Bluesy

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
2 posted 2014-01-17 02:47 AM

Bluesy, thank you for the heart-warming and encouraging comment about my poetry in general and specifically about this poem too.  

In my 68 years, I have continually learnt new things every day - some negative, some positive - spanning all sorts of subjects and if I wanted to confine them into boxes, spanning all sorts of categories (I am a little allergic to categories currently).  The first (consciously) new thing I have learned today is your delicious, philosophical comment which had me pondering its truth excitedly.  Two of my favourite occupations (among many favourites and many occupations) are learning and thinking - not necessarily connected with each other, but often.  (I have even written a poem called Thinking.)  Thank you for letting me indulge deeply and with great pleasure in both of those activities from one collection of words in one sentence of yours.  I am just pondering the odds of your having written something else instead . . . and then I would have lost this opportunity, though, of course, I wouldn't have known that I had lost it.  Sorry . . . rambling (another, mostly annoying thing I enjoy, lol!).  

Just one more thing, your mind is a very exciting and interesting place, as I see from your poetry, your comments and your profile.

Owl

Bluesy Socrateaser
Member Elite
since 2002-11-07
Posts 2417
In The Mirror
3 posted 2014-01-17 09:02 PM

Both your poetry and your responses demonstrate how comfortable you are with yourself. Free of life-draining ego that keeps so many enslaved. This freedom, along with the many adversities a life is challenged with, has given you a strong character.

In spite of my failings, I feel blessed with your attention.

Thank you endlessly.

Regards from Bluesy

...just bein' Bluesy

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
4 posted 2014-01-18 01:22 AM

Thank you, Bluesy.  I am most honoured by your comments.  You are very perspicacious.  I am, indeed, very comfortable with myself, and I like to think I have a strong character, although it sometimes doesn’t feel so.  However, I am not sure that I am free of ego, especially with all these lovely things you are saying about me.  

Whilst I have no idea what your failings may be, as I see no hint of them in anything you have said, I am sure, like all of us, you must have some.  I am honoured and heart-warmed that you feel blessed with my attention.  Smiles.

Owl

jjbreunig3
since 2009-07-29
Posts 423
Maine, USA
5 posted 2014-01-23 11:27 AM

Enjoyed your bit of prose- especially when I took time to hear the words spoken by you; while I loved and appreciated the message, it seems to me that the 'grace of God' is a very large something, given the fact that it's available to all humanity, across the ages and even now.  Perhaps the small something is really the whisper of God's voice. -Joe

Logic, when applied to people, fails miserably! --Joseph J. Breunig 3rd

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
6 posted 2014-01-23 12:01 PM

Thank you, Joe, for your kind words about my prose and recording.  Yes, I agree completely that the grace of God is a very large something, but He sends it to us in packages of all sizes, and even when things seem at their worst, there is always at least one tiny package to unwrap, in order to get to the immense grace of God inside it.  

God sends us His gifts in abundance, but we don’t have them until we agree to accept them because of the free will He has given us.  We can’t accept them unless we know they are there.  This piece of prose is alerting readers and myself to notice the wrapping paper of the gifts He sends us, and His whisper as you describe, so that we can, indeed, unwrap them, and accept and appreciate them.  He offers the gifts, in the same spirit as He ‘stands at the door and knocks’.

Owl

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
7 posted 2015-10-07 09:00 PM

Yes the Grace, the Love and forgiveness of God...james
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Spiritual Journeys #2 » A Very Small Something

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary