navwin » Main Forums » Spiritual Journeys #2 » An Atheist's Wish
Spiritual Journeys #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic An Atheist's Wish Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
totalspiffingness
since 2008-08-28
Posts 8

0 posted 2010-07-14 11:05 PM

I wish I could believe
Delude my senses
Give in to a greater being
Feel the rush of belief
Like a child

Reality would seem so much calmer
And I would know the reason

Instead I'm lost in science
Truth
And nothing is harsher
Than this cold, darkness
I don't know now
And I might never know
Am I alone?

But isn't there beauty?
There is meaning
There is the power of me
I may not be a God;
But I too have the power
To create and destroy

And I am humbled
By the roar of thunder
The deafening cry
Nature triumphant

And it puts my god
In its place
In my heart

-Layla Smart

"Humankind cannot bear very much reality."

© Copyright 2010 totalspiffingness - All Rights Reserved
jennywren
since 2010-08-03
Posts 12
uk
1 posted 2010-08-03 02:08 PM

Hi, thank you for sharing your thoughts. It is very difficult and I believe beyond the comprehension of mere mortals to understand the true meaning of everything . I like you feel that to turn inwards is the right way to go. And I listen to that still small voice, which for me speaks from a pure heart. much love jennywren

when in deep water become a diver

DrinaLove
since 2010-12-23
Posts 30
California
2 posted 2011-01-04 05:39 AM

Ur not alone...there r minds as confused as urs
Joyce Johnson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-03-10
Posts 9912
Washington State
3 posted 2011-01-04 01:21 PM

After reading your poem, I went googling for scientists who believed in God.  I found them.
And among those who did not believe, I did not find one who had the answer to life.  Science only goes so far on the bumpy road and then hits a stone wall.  God doesn't hit that wall, therefor I go with my God.  Love, Joyce

totalspiffingness
since 2008-08-28
Posts 8

4 posted 2011-01-05 08:27 AM

I'm still an atheist and a skeptic. Most of us -would- love to believe there was a god, but there's absolutely no proof, at least for me. I have no reason to believe in God, though I appreciate your efforts.
sandgrain
Member Elite
since 1999-09-21
Posts 3662
Sycamore, IL, USA
5 posted 2011-01-06 08:57 PM

Thank you for sharing your heart here.  It's amazing how differently one sees things through another belief system.  

My heartbeat and breath are not of my doing, but my Creator's.  My final day on this earth is not of my say so, but God's.  He is my Alpha and Omega, beginning and the end and everything in between. I see Him in the morning sun, the kindness of another, the needs of my own and others.  He's with me in sickness and good times.

If the day comes when you decide to believe, you too will see God in everything in your everyday life.  He loves you.

Rae

KatVern17
since 2009-05-07
Posts 33

6 posted 2011-01-24 04:22 PM

I wonder the same thing. I don't believe in "god." I believe some one created the idea of god and then others wanted to say other things about "god"
Ethern
since 2010-07-01
Posts 150
on a plane
7 posted 2012-01-16 03:04 PM

I believe that Science itself is a holy thing in its search for truth. In that search it discovers God, and declares him, albeity unwittingly. I think that though God is unseen by the eyes, he is percieved in the mind, for he is an intellect and a personality without a corruptible body made from the elements. I am convinced as well, that it is the mind of man that makes him in Gods image, and that the mind of man is actually what religion traditionally refers to as the soul. It is religion that has mystified that soul and promoted ignorance about it. It is the mind of man that will be saved by god when the body is shed, if that mind will believe in what is true, because truth is eternal. If you really would be persuaded to believe in God, read the books of the late psychiatrist Dr. M. Scott Peck who was a very scientific man who very reluctantly came to believe in the doctrines of Christ by his knowledge of the human mind and his earnest desire to know truth. The Road Less Traveled, People of the Lie, and Glimpse of the Devil are books that dramatically changed my beliefs and compelled me to pull away from religion and search for truth, which is more scientific than mystical. I am convinced that science draws us nearer God than religion. But still one must choose to open ones mind to believe in the unseen, if only just enough to conceive that a supreme all powerful creator does exist.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Spiritual Journeys #2 » An Atheist's Wish

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary