navwin » Main Forums » Spiritual Journeys #2 » The Inner Things
Spiritual Journeys #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Inner Things Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
kif kif
since 2006-06-01
Posts 439
BCN

0 posted 2006-07-20 07:10 PM

"It's hard, this mystery religion that I'm practicing"
The sole holder of the auction is philosophising....
"got no exoteric chairs to barter with,
there's no golden rings from any fellowship,
the antique gown collection is non-existent..."
and this auctioneer does not control an assistant.
Just
a noun, substantive, realistic sound is all
that turns, a secret with no referral.
"In this case, I'll transform lead into pure gold,
if there are no mistakes by the restorer,
this lot will not be numbered 'til the bids are done,
and then it's 'One',
and shown in 'Artifacts.'"

(Rhythm taken from SOHO "Hippychick" which contains samples of Morriseys "How Soon Is Now" Remember that guitar riff?)

[This message has been edited by kif kif (07-21-2006 05:19 AM).]

© Copyright 2006 kif kif - All Rights Reserved
Lighthousebob
Member Elite
since 2000-06-14
Posts 4725
California
1 posted 2006-07-21 12:11 PM

kif kif,

"It's hard, it's hard, No hippychick, No hip hip hip hip hip, No hippychick...."

Big Smiles. Like ths last song that you referenced to here, I hadn't heard of this song before either and, in my short research, I found that this particular song was a 'One Hit Wonder...' Soooooo, I'm wondering if it actually made the journey over here to us???

I don't know... But, it was a fun song to listen to anyway and I thank you for sharing it. Thank you.

Posting song/poems is a real challenge and I do think that probably the main reason is because the reader has such a difficult time picking up on the rhythm, so I think I know why you posted the references. I think??? Even though I'm glad that you shared the song with us, I honestly do think that I actually enjoyed your poem more when I was just thinking of it in terms of 'free verse' rather than following a certain pattern, meter, syllable count, rhythm, etc. etc.  As free verse, your poem seemed to me to flow very nicely and it did seem to come straight from your heart, your inner person, your sprit... and I think that this kind of writing poetry is truly what is best suited for you because you are (You Are) a Strong and Opinionated individual and you do (You Do) express yourself very very well.

Keep them flowing my poetess friend.

I think the line that I enjoyed the most and the one that I can certainly relate to was the very first line of your poem...

quote:
"It's hard, this mystery religion that I'm practicing"

“It’s hard, it’s hard….”

God bless.

-Bob

kif kif
since 2006-06-01
Posts 439
BCN
2 posted 2006-07-21 12:35 PM

Thanks Bob! Yes, Hippychick was a one-hit wonder, (although SOHO brought out 3 albums) and my copy's been in Britain for years, underneath my mum's house. Earlier, when I posted this, I couldn't find the audio online, only the lyrics, but I was surprised that my song matched the rhythm so well, as I wrote The Inner Things a few months ago. I tidied it up yesterday, tweaking the lines "a noun...that turns..."

I reference my inspiration because in 'traditional' poetry, readers can recognise certain styles, whether it's a sonnet, or if it adheres to a stylistic scansion, ect, ect. When I use a rhythm that I recognise as similar to an underground style, it's only fair that I tell you, the reader, in case you believe it's my own. Of course, if I haven't referenced anything then  the reader will know it is all my own work.

Incidentally, theres still a copyright wrangle going on with SOHO and Morrissey, as SOHO bootlegged the riff. You could say this is my cheeky little karmic response!

Of course, my content has nothing to do with the content of Hippychick.The words that inspired The Inner Things were 'esoteric' and 'qualia'. I also find the similie between precious antiques and Gnosticism personally interesting...a wisdom of property (or maybe, a property of wisdom!?!), handed down through the ages.  

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Spiritual Journeys #2 » The Inner Things

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary