navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #23 » The Endless Walk
Open Poetry #23
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Endless Walk Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
RSWells
Member Elite
since 2001-06-17
Posts 2533

0 posted 2002-11-20 03:29 PM

My boots are dreaming
while in flight
they pad the sidewalk
clearing it by inches,
the toes are steel
unyielding in a fight
would meaner streets
find me in pinches.

Unseen soles have
long been smoothened down,
their tongues tied
among strangers,
but they connect
me to the solid ground
and leadeth me from dangers.

Their eyelets full
of leather's rawest hide
both pliable
and coarse,
mendicants whose
faith can't be denied
their crossings
re-inforced.

They urge me on
a healthy quicker pace,
they've the
hope I lack,
between the two
I ride their endless race
there is no turning back.

"Happy people have no history" - French Proverb

[This message has been edited by RSWells (11-20-2002 03:30 PM).]

© Copyright 2002 Richard S. Wells jr. - All Rights Reserved
Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
1 posted 2002-11-20 03:31 PM

Sounds like your boots were made for more than walking!

EA

Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
2 posted 2002-11-20 04:08 PM

This can be taken two ways, can't it?  You could be personifying your boots, or you could be using a personified concept of boots as a metaphor for something else... my intro English class recently had the same argument over Wordsworth's "I Wandered Lonely As A Cloud," and the effect of daffodils... and this poem reminds me of the very same interprative problem we encountered there.     I'm not going to try and solve that mystery just yet, I think I'll just respond to your structural choice, which I found equally notable.

First of all, you use some strong description here, Wells.  I enjoyed the consistency of the imagery, your description of your boots as hard-bodied and heroic.  

quote:
            Their eyelets full
            of leather's rawest hide
            both pliable
            and coarse,
            mendicants whose
            faith can't be denied
            their crossings
            re-inforced.

That kind of thing.  "Rawest hide" and "crossings re-inforced" both exemplify the aspect of strength you attribute to the boots, and "mendicants whose faith can't be denied" brings images of honour and courage to mind.  

I'm also really taken by your rhyme scheme, a kind of spaced-out elegaiac scheme that kept the rhyming sound of a simple interlocking rhyme, without having it quite as apparent to the eyes.  I do appreciate your choice of line break usage...

One thing I owe it to you to admit, though, is that the word "leadeth" seemed to come out of nowhere, and was the first (and only) verb in the poem to be done in archaic english style.  I understand you want to keep this poem (appropriately) in step with its iambic feet... but do you think you'd be better served to rephrase the line rather than simply introduce an entirely new form of verb?

I also happen to be a fan of the older english language though... it's got a great sound to it, and it can be nice to use in poetry.  I recently found a website that has a great little blurb on archaic english, as well as anything else you can't count on dictionary.com to provide... here's a link to the part on archaic english, in case you're interested:
http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?lastnode_id=124&node_id=1273947

It's surprisingly insightful for a website that focuses on humour.  I remember being thrilled to find this... I myself know how to read archaic english, but am still learning how to write in it...

JUST one more thing I want to say about this poem in terms of critique:  While I see how "there is no turning back" fits into the poem, you might not want to make it your ending note.  Personally, it left me feeling a bit dissatisfied, which is unfair to the vibrant creativity in the rest of the poem.  Cliches can sometimes seem like a hole in a poem, depending how they're used.  "Tongues tied," for example, is a commonly used phrase and you used it in an unusual way, with the merit of a simple pun.  That's a good example of effective cliche use.  

This is all just criticism though, of course... with all the best intention.  Your critique message is a might friendlier, I noticed.  

I did greatly enjoy this poem.  Keep up the excellent work, Wells.  

Parasite

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
~Aldous Huxley

Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
3 posted 2002-11-20 04:12 PM

Mr. Wells,
May I just say how much I enjoyed this piece?!
Well done poet Sir!
~Hugs~

~Love, like magic, depends on believing~

rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
4 posted 2002-11-20 10:30 PM

As long as you don't start singing Nancy Sinatra on me I can handle watching your strut any day..lol..On a more serious note..oh well..forget that..I like the strut thang..HUGS.

Sincerely,
Reg

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
5 posted 2002-11-20 11:52 PM

Oh great now I am singing it, thanks Regina.  I think that in the knowing of just how fitting this song is I was so tempted to play it in the background.  Well, I am sure not the smart poetry wizguy like Brian, but I know what I like.  I loved this Richard, one of your best, and it was freestyle too, imagine that!

Let there be peace on earth,
and let it begin with me.

Sandpiper
since 2002-06-15
Posts 738
land of flora and fauna
6 posted 2002-11-21 07:54 PM

When I've tried "turning back," I always seemed to stumble in the same old potholes.  Keep walking, life sometimes smiles a paved road when we least expect it.

"I am a sky where spirits live.
Stare into this deepening blue,
while the breeze says a secret."
Jelaluddin Rumi

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #23 » The Endless Walk

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary