navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #23 » I can't do it justice with a title... I'll settle for "Run"
Open Poetry #23
Post A Reply Post New Topic I can't do it justice with a title... I'll settle for "Run" Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Kielo
since 2002-02-11
Posts 1109

0 posted 2002-11-16 12:42 PM

I debated for a long time... all day, actually, whether or not to post this. It should be heard, not read, because only I know how I want it to sound, and it has a very distinct sound. Try it like this: Tap your foot, counting the beats, up to four, then starting again. Each line has four beats. A one syllable line has three empty beats. It should be read in a whisper, a soft whisper, growing in urgency until the last line, where, although it isn't louder, it is more insistent. If you still feel like putting the effort into reading it, go ahead... lol

Or I suppose you could just read it for the words, but it would be... not right... I don't know. Do whatever you like.

Run
Run run run
Run child,
the ghosts are after you.

Run
Run run run
Run child,
the demons are after you.

Run
Run run run
Your mind demons,
your demons are after you

Run
Run run run
They haunt,
your demons are chasing you.

Run
Run run run
They chase,
they want to drive you mad.

Stop
They have driven you mad...

Mad
Mad mad mad
Crazy
You have been driven mad...

Ok, I played with the ending a little. I'm not sure if I liked it better when it just ended with the couplet. I wrote it while walking to a beat. Actually, read it again, increasing the speed as you read, and see if that's better... If you don't mind, of course.

This was a very demanding read... lol Thanks to anyone who bothered!

Kielo

[This message has been edited by Kielo (11-16-2002 12:46 AM).]

© Copyright 2002 Jeremiah Leonard - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2002-11-16 12:44 PM

Well, I guess I'm listening to just the right music that goes along with this...so it read very well to me.  I do like the fact that you took time to tell us how you wanted it to be heard, because sometimes that can make ALL the difference...

Karilea
If I whisper, will you listen?...
I would rather be silent and write, than speak loudly and be bound

Madame Chipmunk
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-12-05
Posts 8296
Michigan
2 posted 2002-11-16 12:49 PM

Kielo...
I agree with Karilea... thanks for letting us know exactly how it should sound...
That was a great help and gave the poem lots of meaning...
I really enjoyed it...... both times
~ hugs from a striped rodent

Lyra

copyright2002 Lyra Nesius

"poetry is life distilled"  Gwendolyn Brooks

garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
3 posted 2002-11-16 07:54 AM

Well, Kielo....I did as you said...the third time I read it. the tapping of my foot made all the difference.
I read it to myself the first time....the second, I read it out loud...the third, I read it in a whisper and while tapping my foot to the beat you instructed.
Thanks for sharing with us, Kielo.

"Love makes the world go around"
~~with love and hugs from Ethel~~

Magnus
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-10-10
Posts 14135
South Carolina, USA
4 posted 2002-11-16 08:35 AM

Going slowly mad to the beat of a poem...

Seriously,  thanx for the explanation, does
make all the difference...  and the title,
is appropriate...

Seymour Tabin
Member Empyrean
since 1999-07-07
Posts 31720
Tamarac Fla
5 posted 2002-11-16 08:42 AM

Kielo
Agree with the above it does have a rythem,
enjoyed.

Kielo
since 2002-02-11
Posts 1109

6 posted 2002-11-16 12:47 PM

Thank you all very much! It has a beat because I wrote it while running away, except that I was walking. It just sort of wrote itself while I walked. I was pleased.

At any rate, thank you all very much for taking the time to read it as I asked. I wasn't sure anyone would try... lol Thank you!

Kielo

According to statistics, a man eats a prune every twenty seconds. I don't know who this fellw is, but I know where to find him.
-Morey Amsterdam

NewEnglandlazurlu
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-01-04
Posts 7470
A Mountain Paradise
7 posted 2002-11-16 02:23 PM

I followed your instructions and read this several times, silently and then out loud, slow and then fast.

A most fascinating and interesting read and it brought up memories of a friend who had a nervous breakdown not too long ago.

I don't know what your intention was, but that's what I got out of it.

Great poem, but for me, sad.  

Hugs, Marti

"I am not afraid of STORMS for I have learned how to sail my SHIP."
Louisa May Alcott

VAS
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-11-16
Posts 7450
Oregon
8 posted 2002-11-16 03:07 PM

Well, I did it til my hip gave out, lol.
Speeding up does make a difference. I guess if I carried it while walking and then walking faster, then running, I'd be scared out of my wits before I finished. I don't know if you wanted it that way, but when I came to stop, each time I read it, the foot tapping automatically stopped. The last time my hip was rejoicing the stoppage.

Whether on the shoal or on the shore,
I'll seek the lighthouse evermore.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #23 » I can't do it justice with a title... I'll settle for "Run"

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary