navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #21 » Poem:The Man At The Party.
Open Poetry #21
Post A Reply Post New Topic Poem:The Man At The Party. Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
pjtalty
since 2002-07-17
Posts 111
W.A., Australia

0 posted 2002-07-20 09:42 AM

The man at the party
says,
voice fragmented
wrapped in static,
"spare the rod,
spoil the child,
that's my philosophy."

The speaker's eyes waver,
dying candles flicker
in cut glass goblets;
voice, fainting, falls to slow glide,
recalls the sounds of unbuckling
before the beatings
that made him a man.

Dance rhythms contend
with dissenting voices,
the uneasy beat of shuffling,
the cruel march
from childhood
to manhood.

FOOTNOTE: I know there is a difference between an admonishing smack and a “belting”. I have no problem with the former, but I do have a problem with violence being used as a main deterrent to the “naughtiness” of a toddler.
(c)2002 Patrick Talty

Patrick Talty

© Copyright 2002 Patrick Talty - All Rights Reserved
Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
1 posted 2002-07-20 10:18 AM

pjtalty

I was a teacher of very young children for many years and I agree with you about the belt...positive reinforcement for good behavior works so much better.  

Your poem was vivid in detail...took me there to the scene...could feel the dread as the belt came off.  Well done!

pjtalty
since 2002-07-17
Posts 111
W.A., Australia
2 posted 2002-07-20 10:36 AM

Dear Martie,

Thanks very much for the positive feedback re *The Man At The Party*.

Although I'm 78 years of age, we have a lively 5yo son. I don't use corporal punishment whenever he needs guidance. My most effective strategy is the "thinking chair" followed by a talking and listening session and concluding with a negotiated settlement in the form of deprivation of a privilege, or the acceptance of a "sorry" with the promise (not ALWAYS kept)not to re-offend.

Brendan is considered by his pre-primary teachers and other adult friends to be a well adjusted child with strong evidence of leadership potential. His reading compehension level has been rated as being at year 2 primary school level.

So, we reckon that our strategies work better than corporal punishment ever could.

Thanks again for your message.

Patrick Talty

[This message has been edited by pjtalty (07-20-2002 10:40 AM).]

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
3 posted 2002-07-20 02:57 PM

(big hugggssssssss) Oh Patrick, I couldn't agree with you more, sweet friend, I find violence like that to be morally wrong and rather the proper punishment to a child should not revolve around violence! (sad sigh) This is powerfully expressed, sweet friend, we all love you so much! You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Patrick, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

"Underneath your clothes there's an endless story..."

Shakira

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #21 » Poem:The Man At The Party.

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary