navwin » Discussion » Poetry Challenge! » Why wait till we die?
Poetry Challenge!
Post A Reply Post New Topic Why wait till we die? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced

0 posted 2011-05-26 03:29 AM

Just a thought in visiting the Remember page, mourning all the poets who've passed on...and I wondered why we wait until someone dies to write a tribute to them.

Why not pick a favorite poet and write a tribute while they are still alive?

© Copyright 2011 Dixie Lee Bullington - All Rights Reserved
Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
1 posted 2011-05-26 03:46 AM

Okay, I'll start and I'll be back more than once because I care about so many of you.

But, you, Dixie were among the first to make me feel truly welcome here at PiP.  I'll never forget you reaching out with kindness in your comments to me, and helping me gain confidence to open up and get to know others on these pages.

I have admired your honesty.  I have cried over some of your struggles.  I have wanted to reach through the screen and shake some (of what I considered) sense into you.  I have wanted to hug you and dry your tears.  I have rejoiced with you.  I have laughed with you.

All of these things have made you human to me.  You are not some letters on a screen.  You are a woamn who has depth of feeling and a magical ability to write.

So, Dixie, I start with you to tell you that you have made impacts upon my life.  I have thought of you when I log off the computer and I have often just silently wished you well.

Thank you for sharing the special parts of you - the good, the bad and the honest to God Dixie.

xoxoxo
Alison

Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
2 posted 2011-05-26 11:12 AM

Okay, hours have gone by and I told you I would be back.  Another favorite poet is Balladeer.  "Why, of course" you might mutter, "he taught you everything you know." Ummmm, not everything, but he has taught me a lot.  But, that's not why I am writing now.  We all know that Balladeer knows his schtick ... just as we all know that Balladeer is a real spam.

I am writing about him because he treats everyone with respect.  He might go over the top sometimes politically, but I don't peek in on that forum often.  However, no one can deny that he is not a man of conviction and that he is not passionate in his beliefs.  I admire people who can articulate their thoughts in a debate, and Balladeer seems to hold his own quite well.

I am rambling (I do that, you know).  I like Mike because he is witty, respectful, honest, funny and an extremely patient teacher.  He has never patronized me in the years that he has worked with me.  He is proud of the accomplishments of all of us who strive to become more knowledgable poets.

What can I say?  I like Mike.

Alison

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
3 posted 2011-05-26 03:15 PM

Ah Alison my dear...what can I say? I am just all warm and fuzzy inside now and a little tear in the corner of my eye is about to fall (happy tear it is)

thank you for a special write, and for being such a special lady I am quite fond of you and care about you too.

You made my day, today, when the sky is gray and I am missing things/people...love you for this post.

Alison
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
4 posted 2011-05-29 03:22 PM

I didn't follow the rules, did I, Dixie?  I'll write the poems about you both that are part of this challenge.  I am slightly embarrassed that I responded as I did.  But, I am kind of a lay it out there person.  I believe that if we are silent about the nice things we think about others ... we are depriving them of knowing what we think and we are depriving ourselves of the ability to share parts of our heart.

I know I can come across pretty sacchrine at times (and believe me I can toss sailor words with the best of them while in a marvelous fit of temper), but it is important to share what we think of other people.

It's stupid to wait until they are dead.

And that's all I am going to say about that.

Alison

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Poetry Challenge! » Why wait till we die?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary