navwin » Tech Talk » Geek Stuff » Email and posts awol
Geek Stuff
Post A Reply Post New Topic Email and posts awol Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
ThisDiamond
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-02-22
Posts 9353
Michigan, USA

0 posted 2008-09-13 02:12 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS, Arial, Verdana" color="#000080" size="2">
Hi All,

Since the upgrade, I've had trouble getting notification email from Pip.

I've checked my firewall, and reset all my member stuff, just to be sure that didn't corrupt.

I have killed all cookies, reworked everything...
Feel like I need to wear a hard hat and tool belt!

Any suggestions?
I have Vista and McAfee.  Sheesh...sounds technically superior, but such a whoosie when it counts!

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
TDF (freakin frustrated)   </font>

© Copyright 2008 Kathleen Harris - All Rights Reserved
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
1 posted 2008-09-19 12:44 PM

Sorry for the long delay in responding, Kathy; just returned from a road trip.

I would suggest first testing the difficulty by asking the server to send you your password ( at /main/lostpw.cgi ). If the server gets that email through, which should happen or not happen within 2-30 minutes, we'll know your problem isn't with email, but with posts.

Assuming the problem is one with all email coming from our server, the culprit is probably going to be your ISP, i.e., Comcast. Sometimes ISPs will "temporarily" block an IP address from their system because someone on that IP was sending out tons of email spam. They forget that no one owns an IP address. So, a year or two later, when someone else inherits the IP address, the block doesn't get removed. I would have to guess something like that is happening with Comcast? The thing to do would be to contact them and tell them you want to receive email from our server, which is aries.piptalk.net. Given the server name, they "should" be able to figure out the rest.

ThisDiamond
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-02-22
Posts 9353
Michigan, USA
2 posted 2008-09-19 05:14 PM

Awesome Ron.
I think you nailed it with the address issue.
I could not receive any mail, all of a sudden from PIP, and I finally changed my email address and am receiving fine there.
So...it isn't you guys! ~Grin
I'll contact Comcast, and wing 'em once...then change my info back.

Hope you had a great trip.
Thanks!
Kathy

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Tech Talk » Geek Stuff » Email and posts awol

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary