navwin » Tech Talk » Geek Stuff » SPYWARE
Geek Stuff
Post A Reply Post New Topic SPYWARE Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Magnus
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-10-10
Posts 14135
South Carolina, USA

0 posted 2006-12-29 05:31 PM

I have a page that continues to come up as my
default browser page....It is vulgar, and I don't
want my children to click on the IE Icon and ooops,
here it is....

How do I get rid of It....IT does show a URL when
it pops up...  It is a crude way of trying to get
people to take out spyware software by being
very vague regarding the owner of the s/ware and
the cost, etc.....

HOW can I get rid of this and another screen
that pops up as my default browser page...

Barry/Magnus

I guess this would be more appropriately
characterized as a "pop-up"

[This message has been edited by Magnus (12-29-2006 06:19 PM).]

© Copyright 2006 Barry J. Tackett - All Rights Reserved
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
1 posted 2006-12-29 06:22 PM

Head to trendmicro's free download section and get cwshredder. Very effective tool for getting rid of coolweb crap and is a stand alone prog (doesn't install anything). Do a google search on spywareblaster and while there pick up spywareguard. Blaster alerts you when a Browser Helper Object (BHO) has changed and gives you a choice on what to do, while Guard loads up a ban list for both IE and Firefox. Get Adaware and Spybot S&D as they compliment each other. I would also recommend AVG Anti-Virus (all these progs are freebies).  Spybot has a lot of cool features under Advanced Mode, such as your startup list (without requiring the normal msconfig reboot) and you can lock your start page and control panel easily. Before doing so, run Adaware, go into options, and change the startpage to something innocuous, such as yahoo or piptalk (shameless plug for this wonderful site). Update all the progs then disconnect from the internet completely by either physically unhooking the cable from your comp, or using a feature such as the one in ZoneAlarm to lock down all incoming and outgoing transmissions. Then run your scans and git rid of all those varmits.

Here's what I personally use, and have for about 5 years: AVG, ZoneAlarm, Spywareblaster, Spywareguard, Spybot, Adaware, and CWShredder. These are the same progs I load on other comps for deinfestations and are all free.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Tech Talk » Geek Stuff » SPYWARE

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary