navwin » Tech Talk » Geek Stuff » Earthquake Question
Geek Stuff
Post A Reply Post New Topic Earthquake Question Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart

0 posted 2006-09-23 10:10 AM

My two-year, two-month old Compaq Presario R3000 was turned on this morning at about 8:20 a.m. or so [yea, I know, late for me!] and after I had opened e-mail, Word, checked into PiP, and all other "normal applications, i.e., virus control, IM, etc., were up and running, my computer suddenly started acting as if had an inner earthquake going on, and the computer screen was jerking up and down rapidly.  The screen was not "rolling" but just a rapid jerk up and down.  I was able to Ctrl-alt-Delete and get out of the three windows that I had opened and was able to shut down the machine successfully.

After giving it about 20 minutes of "rest" time, I went to log on again and immediately experienced  slower, but still some jerky motions.  With Crtl-alt-delete, the machine rebooted itself and my machine settled down.

I quickly downloaded some important files, and am now asking if any of you know what happened, and can explain it to me?  My laptop is not on when not in use; it has never been dropped; and I do not want to believe that it is getting ready to die.

Any ideas as to what may have caused the jerking?  Even if there had been a loss of power [there wasn't] it still has back-up battery.

Thoughts?

and Thanks!

© Copyright 2006 Karilea Rilling Jungel - All Rights Reserved
Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
1 posted 2006-09-24 06:10 PM

Try plugging a monitor into the laptop and switching to that display, the earthquake should go away, if it does the video connection to the laptop screen could simply need reseating.

You could do it yourself but I'd recommend getting your local PC shop to do it (get a price first), laptops can be fiddly to take apart and even worse to get back together.

If the earthquake's still there when you connect the external screen try removing all peripheral devices, I once had a laptop where a USB mouse caused the screen to go crazy.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
2 posted 2006-09-24 07:33 PM

Ah, Grinch!  Thank you!  You've validated another who said that a V-chip could need replacing.  My monitor has been "ok" since that point, but I grimaced greatly when I thought my computer might be failing!  Componets, ok, but the entire thing?  Yikes!

Thank you so much!  I will take it in and have it checked out!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Tech Talk » Geek Stuff » Earthquake Question

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary