navwin » Tech Talk » Geek Stuff » Search lurch
Geek Stuff
Post A Reply Post New Topic Search lurch Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Beau de L'air
since 2006-08-03
Posts 105
Middlesex, England

0 posted 2006-08-09 03:04 PM

Dear Marge or whoever is on duty today,  greetings..

Is there a handbook on Searching?  The thing of it is, I don't so much want to see my own poems, but I would like to see if there has been any replies to my posts relating to other people's.. Now, try as I might, I just get my own raddled old efforts and the minimal interest they've attracted..  But I have quipped with the best of them all over the shop, except I can't remember where, or even which poems they were threaded in.   Please help.

P.s. How's the weather where you are?  Here it is unusually hot and dry, and we've even got ANTS in our kitchen!       Never had them before!  

Bd'L  

© Copyright 2006 D Gettings - All Rights Reserved
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
1 posted 2006-08-09 04:20 PM

Ants go where the water is, so odds are there's a minor leak in the kitchen, either under the sink or behind the fridge if you've an icemaker.  Get some good ant powder and use a blunt kitchen knife to spread a thin layer wherever they are appearing.  If you track them back to the source hole, that will nip it in the bud quickly.  That's how I did it in the deserts of SW Arizona.

As for search, that's how it goes.  Select 'exclude replies' and choose the forum(s) you are interested in searching.  Just searching for the latest responses, well, that would overwhelm just about any system as it just ain't you doing the searching.  You can, however, include replies and filter by date.  That's about as close as the current software revision will provide.

Beau de L'air
since 2006-08-03
Posts 105
Middlesex, England
2 posted 2006-08-09 05:53 PM

Thanks,  Jennyanydots,  (a pactical cat)  I shall do what you suggest.  BdL'
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
3 posted 2006-08-09 06:09 PM

More Skimbleshanks, thanky kindly.

Beau de L'air
since 2006-08-03
Posts 105
Middlesex, England
4 posted 2006-08-09 06:33 PM

I can't get rid of 'Select a saved search';  it keeps rebooting to it.

When I include Beau de L'air in both the Search Terms and Include Only This Author I get seven replies (all my poems).

When I don't put Beau de L'air in "author" but put it in "terms" , I get 680 entries, 99.9% of which I haven't even opened let alone reviewed.

When I do the reverse I get 0 replies.  

A box of frogs!  Please help..

What, Skimbleshanks, do I do now???

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
5 posted 2006-08-09 06:59 PM

Check your email ... then email me ... me thinks I can help~

*HUGLETS*
~*Marge*~

~*The sound of a kiss is not as strong as that of a cannon, but it's echo endures much longer*~
Email -       noles1@totcon.com       

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
6 posted 2006-08-09 07:04 PM

Actually to do the SEARCH you would type in your name EXACTLY as you use it -
Do NOT put in ANY TERMS ...
Check INCLUDE REPLIES ... because you want to see the ones you've replied to ... submit your SEARCH~

I just did it on you and got your posts AND your replies~
Your replies will show up as Beau de L'air ®

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
7 posted 2006-08-09 07:17 PM

Btw, my Cats reference to Skimbleshanks runs thusly: I am male, as is he.  Not so for Jennyanydots.

Beau de L'air
since 2006-08-03
Posts 105
Middlesex, England
8 posted 2006-08-09 08:08 PM

It worked, I had Beau deL'air instead of Beau de L'air.   Thank you Tom cat, not half so alluring, but an excellent geek and possibly a poet.  I will check using my new POWERS!!    LOL in mad criminal way.        
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
9 posted 2006-08-09 08:30 PM

Most welcome.  Might disagree with the alluring bit, or might agree.  Just don't get between me and a mirror and I do so love my beard.

As for the poet bit, yer prolly right on that one, since I'm highly critical of my own writings, most of which I consider pure unadulturated drivel.  But then I'm biased.  But there is that small handful which make me think I may yet become one.  And that's OK.

As my old signature used to say: Le Jongleur Aspirante.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Tech Talk » Geek Stuff » Search lurch

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary