navwin » Tech Talk » Geek Stuff » @#%$#$@ manufacturers!!!!!
Geek Stuff
Post A Reply Post New Topic @#%$#$@ manufacturers!!!!! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space

0 posted 2005-05-12 04:48 PM

Just bought a DVD burner(glee), I set it as slave drive. Dvd burner didn't recognize recordable disc but searching tells me a firmware update will fix this problem. To update firmware, manufacturer says to Dvd must be a master, it also says the dvd should have it's own dedicated line.

Why in the hell would the manufacturer not tell you this in the manual? I gladly would have set it up as a master if that was the case. Now I have to go into my box and switch everything around. And why wouldn't firmware work installed on a slave drive? or is that always the case. Arghhhh!

Btw, end result, it still didn't work. The brand of Discs(RiData) is not supported but Ritek is, funny thing, it's the same company. Either this is a flaw on their part or the firmware isn't working properly...

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

© Copyright 2005 raphael giuffrida - All Rights Reserved
SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
1 posted 2005-05-12 05:12 PM

sounds like fun stuff SB..
diggin the star wars pics you got going that is just too neat...
I'm no help whatsoever...I'm lucky I can log on to my stinkin computer hehehehehehe
good luck with that...

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
2 posted 2005-05-13 01:06 PM

thanks oh sweet one, got everything running just that this wonderful spool of discs is, at least for the moment, useless. shrugs, ah well.
Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
3 posted 2005-05-13 02:33 PM

huh?

I need Tylenol (seriously something stronger but..well..you know..) just reading that.....

"too bad ignorance isn't painful"
~Unknown~

Michelle_loves_Mike
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2003-12-20
Posts 1189
Pennsylvania
4 posted 2005-05-13 06:48 PM

Sounds like they have it all well thought out, these manufacturing fellas,,,,did you try a hammer?

If home is where the heart is,,,,,I guess the corner bar is where the mind wanders off to

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
5 posted 2005-05-14 02:24 PM

susan you know what else is good for headaches..grin?

michelle, axe, if i'm going to do it it'll be an axe

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
6 posted 2005-12-28 07:38 PM

Raph, it really isn't as difficult as you have made it out to be. All you have to do is splice a tri-way adapter and insert it into the modulated modem. That should do the trick! lol

On a more serious note, I'd like to ditto Susan C's reply!

Good luck!

Linda

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
7 posted 2005-12-28 10:13 PM

Well Aenimal, if it's any consolation, I've had to do the same with switching back to Master from Cable Select for firmware upgrades, then switching the jumper back to CS.  But then, I love cracking open computers.  Heck, even since I spent about $300 turning my mom's Compuke Presario 5011r Radio Shack Special into an actual Computer, I still pull off the side panel from time to time just to gaze at the NB fan, aftermarket vid fan, new cpu cooler, and 3 case fans (run by a Vantec 3.5" 4-fan controller).

I just hope that prior to purchasing, you did some extensive research, both from review site articles, review site testrigs, and user reviews.  I've been pricing some myself for my gf, since her Sony cdrw is acting up after a few years of light use.  So far, I'm leaning towards a Lite-On for a temp fix (~20USD) or the Giga-Byte W1632A (~50USD) for a longterm replacement.

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
8 posted 2006-01-05 03:13 AM

Alicat the truth is i like cracking it open from time to time and fixing the problems myself too. just think that manufacturer's and those selling the products should give people a head's up about firmware and other issues they might encounter.

other than the hassles of installing it on a 98SE computer. the LG GSA4163B is a godsend. no coasters, very quiet, and the firmware updates have kept up with the plethora of media products out there.

great dvd and cd drives LG, but horrible customer service in north america, had to go to the australian site for the latest firmware which finally addressed a dvd-rw issue, a can finally drag to disc with dvds..beautiful!!!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Tech Talk » Geek Stuff » @#%$#$@ manufacturers!!!!!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary