navwin » Discussion » The Alley » National Healthcare
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic National Healthcare Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA

0 posted 2004-06-19 10:59 AM

In another thread, Ron said:

'I find the thought of unnecessary war only slightly more frightening than National Health Care.'

Why?

I can think of plenty of pro's and con's myself, but you're generally a well spoken guy, and I'm curious as to why you find it so frightening... almost as frightening as the aspect of war?

© Copyright 2004 hush - All Rights Reserved
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
1 posted 2004-06-20 01:18 AM

Hush, I can't speak for Ron and wouldn't try -- but I can tell you that I found Hillary Clinton's version of National Healthcare to be frightening.  It looked like an HMO on steroids.  

People want the freedom to choose a doctor and what treatment they are going to recieve.

The bit of National Healthcare that is in place, Medicare/Medicade, doesn't do much in either of those two areas.  I don't have time to get into the specific ways right now - but I'm sure there are Pippers who could give you stories.

I don't think National Healthcare is a bad idea though -- just like I don't think a National Defense, National Highway System, National Postal System, National Retirement System -- are bad ideas.  There are ways it can be done.

Another thing that was pretty scary and infuriating about the Hillary fiasco was the clandestine fashion she went about it -- like the way Cheney went about the Energy policy -- but I haven't heard Rush complaining about that.

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
2 posted 2004-06-21 07:58 AM

My mom's on Medicare, and I don't think she had trouble staying with the doctors she had when she switched from the insurance she had with work to Medicare... but that's about where the good points stop. I'm sure everyone who has had experience with Medicare has horror stories... I agree with you that there's proably a way to do it... but obviously not the way it's already been done.

I havn't heard about Hillary's plan, got any links to good articles?

Toerag
Member Ascendant
since 1999-07-29
Posts 5622
Ala bam a
3 posted 2004-06-21 02:05 PM

Hush...I've heard horror stories too about medicare....but mostly it's been working for most folks?...A National Health Care program could really be a good thing if it's done right with alot of investigation...I have friends in other countries that say sometimes it takes forever to get immediate needed surgery or even health care.....I know many folks in England that have opted to pay for their medical care in other countries only because they couldn't get in to see a doctor/surgeon?...I don't know enough about it except for what I've heard..like everything else, Medicare does have pros and cons, and so many people have taken advantage of it illegally that it's caused alot of problems with the program...
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
4 posted 2004-06-21 05:45 PM

You can find the entire Health Security Act here Amy http://sunsite.tus.ac.jp/pub/academic/political-science/Health-Security-Act/.

It's pretty complicated and long though.

Here is a timeline and background information on the development of the White House proposal http://www.pbs.org/newshour/forum/may96/background/health_debate_page1.html

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » National Healthcare

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary