navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Why?
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Why? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Pip
since 2001-09-14
Posts 59

0 posted 2003-12-18 01:21 AM

Why do doctors (sorry, if you're a doctor and reading this...no real offense meant) always have to make things so god darn difficult?  And what does it could be cancer mean?  Well, to me it means go home and be depressed while we try to decide what to do for about a week, and then we'll call you and tell you that we have no idea.  Then I can be depressed for a few more days while they try to think of something else, and just because of a could be?!  So, I'm supposed to drop everything and emotionally unload because I "might" have cancer...and, then "maybe" I won't have cancer, which would, of course, be just wonderful, but I would have dropped EVERYTHING (which, right now, is a whole whole whole lot) for nothing.  Or I could have cancer...  and I don't want to think about that right now.  So I'm just going to be mad at the damn doctors for awhile because I think they are stupid.  

© Copyright 2003 Pip - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2003-12-18 01:29 AM

lighting candles, saying prayers, and holding your hand.

c'mere you.

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
2 posted 2003-12-18 02:20 AM

Smile and go on. When the Doctors give you the news, if it's good, rejoice. If not, then put on your fighters shoes and smile. It has been beaten you know! Don't be afraid to cry or get mad and throw something. If you need to talk, I'm here.....
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
3 posted 2003-12-18 02:55 AM

Why?  Because they don't know until someone tells them for certain.  You wonder if it is better they say nothing, rather that mention the "c word."  I can remember waiting four days for my news on a biopsy, and thought I would absolutely lose my mind.  See, cancer is a damn scary word, so it is okay to be darn mad at the doctors, I was too.  The waiting drives you nuts right?

When the news comes and it is good you will never feel better in your life, now should it be not so good, well then you try to remember that this is 2003.  The advancements that have been made are absolutely incredible, so try not to worry as that leads to thinking the worst.  I hope that you will lean on family and friends for support.  It is a proven fact that if you think positive, positive things happen. Sharing here was a step in the right direction and you have to know you will get support in here, that is what Ron made this place for and what it is about - a circle of friends.  Hang in there!

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
4 posted 2003-12-18 08:44 AM

Geesh - and don't forget to have a Merry Christmas, eh?  Hang in there, m'friend - I'll track you down later & give you a cyber-hug...
Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
5 posted 2003-12-18 02:53 PM

Pip,
Believe me when I tell you that I can completely and totally understand where these toughts are coming from and what this question means to you. I was mis-diagnosed with Leukemia at the age of 12 and went through all of the treatments that were available at that. Then I was told it wasn't, and then I was told again that it was, and then I was told that it wasn't... My father was also diagnosed with a "possible" case of brain cancer that took 2 brain surgeries and 3 doctors to confirm. When you are faced with the greatest crisis any human being can face, the uncertainty of what is next, and the possible loss of their life, it is VERY easy to become depressed.
To answer your question about why the vagueness of the medical profession... liability and the wish to be completely wrong in a diagnoses. If a doctor tells you tht you have cancer, however they want to run some more tests to confirm it, and you spend a couple of weeks depressed, and maybe you do yourself harm because of the possibilities, and it turns out you DIDN'T have the illness, then your family owns the doctor. If you don't harm yourself, then YOU could sue the doctor because tof the mental strain and the pressure he "needlessly" put you through. I am not accusing, nor am I judging, I am simply stating the facts.
If the doctor DOESN'T tell you and then you get to the stage where treatment is not an option... then you own the doctor.
It is very simply a CYA for the doctors... plus, the doctors don't want to be right ever. By telling you maybe, there is always the hope.
As for what to do next?
Lots of prayer, if that is your thing. Positive thinking, and imagining yourself to be well, and to have this taken from you.
My thougghts and prayers are with you in this time.

We are all equal but we’re individually different
and able to reach the impossible if we try.

[This message has been edited by Ringo (12-18-2003 03:14 PM).]

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
6 posted 2003-12-18 03:06 PM

Hi again, just wanted you to know I am still here with the rest of the gang for a leaning post should you need one.  Waiting it out is tough!  

Ringo is right about the liability issue as well, I remember asking and the answer they gave me was legally they are not allowed to say a word until a diagnosis is confirmed.  Sad part is - the medical profession too is run by humans, who also make mistakes.  It is always good to get a second opinion on something that requires it, and when dealing with "maybe it's cancer", I think it is a good idea, yes?

So, just hoping you are having a good day I guess.

Let there be peace on earth,
and let it begin with me.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
7 posted 2003-12-19 07:00 AM

Sometimes, even third opinions are required.  IF you have cancer, there are wonderful places you can get to, quickly, that will help you get through, and over, this scare.  Keep us apprised, as soon as you hear...

meanwhile, I've got you in quilted prayers...

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
8 posted 2003-12-24 04:07 AM

Hey Pip, just wanted you to know I am still praying for you, and sincerely hope you are able to enjoy your family, and friends this season.  Merry Christmas!

Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
9 posted 2003-12-27 07:54 PM

**HUGS**
Praying and hoping here.

I didn't see this til now.  Sorry.

All of my impurities are right here on my sleeve. This is Me"---Faith Hill

wintertao
since 2003-11-17
Posts 366
Okaloosa Island, FL
10 posted 2003-12-27 08:56 PM

Just know you are not alone.....something like 40% of the US population will have cancer of some kind at some point in their life...Every year that goes by the survival rate goes up. Stay Positive.  Lance Armstrong's book is very moving.

[This message has been edited by wintertao (12-27-2003 09:56 PM).]

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
11 posted 2004-01-15 07:42 AM

Check in, please, with status update?
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Why?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary