navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Pardon me, but...
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Pardon me, but... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
vlraynes
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-25
Posts 8229
Somewhere... out there...

0 posted 2003-12-12 11:50 PM

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you...I feel much better now...

[This message has been edited by vlraynes (12-12-2003 11:54 PM).]

© Copyright 2003 Vicky L. Raynes - All Rights Reserved
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
1 posted 2003-12-12 11:54 PM

Always good to know. Question: Is this about being swamped by Snow Birds? Lordy knows I could do with a Snow Bird License.....otherwise, they might overgraze and starve!
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
2 posted 2003-12-13 12:45 PM

Go easy on the Birds, Ali. Next year about this time, I have every intention of growing some wings.
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
3 posted 2003-12-13 01:08 AM

Hehehe...my girlfriend works for the Arizona DoT, and it's suprising how many seniors travel down here in brand new, current year RV's and 5th wheels pulled by a brand new, current year, Mack semi-semi (scaled down just enough to fall below CDL classification), paid in cash in full, yet claim to be under a fixed income, so they are entitled to all the senior discounts for registering their vehicles even though they don't live here nor pay taxes here....unless they get a job to get away from the spouse. One of them odd quirky loophole laws here: the moment you get a job, you are a citizen of the state and are liable for state taxes.

I digress. If you feel up to travelling down to the Desert Southwest, we still got plenty of room here, as contractors are constantly building new homes. Add to that the mid-70 daytime, low-60 nighttime temps and neglible humidity, and you have a winner. Can't say I blame the snow birds for flocking down here and congesting the streets....just wish they were safer drivers.....

[This message has been edited by Alicat (12-13-2003 01:10 AM).]

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
4 posted 2003-12-13 01:30 AM

When I lived in San Diego, I passed through Yuma many, many times on frequent trips to Phoneix. I, uh, never saw any reason to stop.

After I left California six years ago, my sister and her family packed up as well, but they only got as far as Vegas. Their weather is similar to yours, but they seem to have found a MUCH more enjoyable way of paying taxes in Nevada.

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
5 posted 2003-12-13 02:17 AM

Snowbirds? You haven't seen anything until you've seen them line up for baseball spring training tickets!! You have to love them tho. Bless their hearts! They are the safest drivers - never go over 20 miles an hour even on the freeway in rush hour traffic. But what I truly love is in the grocery store. They have to stand at the end of the checkout and tabulate their receipt. They don't trust that it's been rung up properly. And there I stand, waiting to leave the store before my Orville Redinbachers pops of it's own accord in the heat!
vlraynes
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-25
Posts 8229
Somewhere... out there...
6 posted 2003-12-13 02:29 AM

LOL...nope...wasn't what the emotional breakdown
was about, but yes...plenty of snowbirds, for sure.
Fortunately, a lot of them are in the outlying
areas, such as Apache Junction, and other such places
where there are RV parks more readily available
That's not to say that there aren't PLENTY of them,
right here in the middle of the city though.
There are, and I have to agree...having them here
wouldn't be so bad if not for the issue of traffic safety.

Ron?...

"When I lived in San Diego, I passed through
Yuma many, many times on frequent trips to
Phoneix. I, uh, never saw any reason to stop"

That's because there ISN'T much reason to
stop in Yuma...(sorry, Ali)...grin

Sharon?..LOL @ them being the safest drivers...you're not kidding!
And now?...I want popcorn!

Thanks, all, for the much needed smile tonight...

[This message has been edited by vlraynes (12-13-2003 02:40 AM).]

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
7 posted 2003-12-13 03:22 AM

Well.......*thinks hard and almost sprains something* we got plenty of sand....and...sand. Oodles of sand. More sand than you could shake a stick at, though shaking a stick at sand might be from the heat. It only gets around 120 during the summers, afterall.

Snowbirds might be slow drivers, but man you should see them scuttle if there's a gap in any line, or an open table. I swear I saw one blurred red as she approached then blue as she passed, followed by a loud pop, but that might have been a hip.

Uhoh...I'm being scolded by my internal PC Monitor....better get that urchin drunk and quick!

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
8 posted 2003-12-13 06:37 AM

One of our most popular bumber stickers down here is WHEN I GET OLD I'M GONNA MOVE UP NORTH AND DRIVE SLOW.

It barely beat out IF IT'S TOURIST SEASON WHY CAN'T WE SHOOT 'EM? for the top honors.

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
9 posted 2003-12-13 07:46 AM

Tourists & sand?  I have plenty of those... Snow birds too... yep - They were here ALL summer - Then I sent half to Fort Lauderdale and the other half to Phoenix.  I get to drive down Main Street during the winter.  It sure is cold though - I think I'll join up with group #1 - At least Fort Lauderdale has the ocean...
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
10 posted 2003-12-13 07:47 AM

Better yet, Vicky??...
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Pardon me, but...

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary