navwin » Discussion » The Alley » The general feelings
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic The general feelings Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Thomas119gold
since 2002-06-03
Posts 708
Biloxi, MS (city by the sea)

0 posted 2003-04-23 10:18 AM

I am a cop and I want to know what everyone out there feels about Law Enforcement. Be honest
I know your not speaking about me directly
but I wonder what our image is to society in general?

© Copyright 2003 Thomas Goldsworthy - All Rights Reserved
Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
1 posted 2003-04-23 12:47 PM

Mine is nothing short of total RESPECT~

Outside of 'military' ... it's one of the only jobs I can think of where a man/woman is a target just by donning his/her work clothes.

Of course I profess a little prejudical feelings here .... as the proud sister to a retired law enforcement officer !

*Huglets*
~*Marge*~

~*The pen of the poet never runs out of ink, as long as we breathe.*~
noles1@totcon.com

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
2 posted 2003-04-23 01:00 PM

Thomas:

I have one word to accurately describe
how I feel about the force:

SERPICO

If anyone has not seen it - please rent it
Let's just say I am with Al Pacino

Good thread . . .
xxoo

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
3 posted 2003-04-23 08:27 PM

I think our personal experience with the police will color our words.

I've never been arrested (and I really look forward to that search!). I've never really been in any trouble or had to deal closely with a police man (I've had ONE ticket in my life).

But for what I can observe, I have the utmost respect for the police in general Until one of them does something I don't like. But that's the way I feel about everyone!! You're all given the benefit of the doubt.

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
4 posted 2003-04-23 08:28 PM

Tempered respect. I was beat up by cops in riot gear for no other reason than standing in a parking lot at a Ramones concert.

While I had bruised ribs and my friend a broken cheek bone, they did eventually realize we weren't a threat.

I can understand fear, but let's not pretend people don't make mistakes.

Thomas119gold
since 2002-06-03
Posts 708
5 posted 2003-04-23 08:47 PM

Cool answers so far I myself have gone through some bad situations with Cops so i was surprised when I decided I wanted to be one
morefiah
since 2003-03-26
Posts 150
Spanish Town, Jamaica
6 posted 2003-04-24 02:24 PM

It is right to say that opinions will naturally be coloured by individual experiences. I live in a country where I am sorry to say that there is only an excuse for a Police Department. The Commissioner of Police is handpicked by the Prime Minister; there is rampant corruption with not much effort to hide it; the Police routinely kill first and ask questions later (too often discovering that the dead guy was innocent and planting a gun on him); The standard release to the media normally reads like this: "The police was patrolling X area, when they spotted some men acting suspiciously. When accosted the men opened fire on the patrol who returned the fire. On searching the area one man was found nursing gunshot wounds. He was taken to hospital Y where he was pronounced dead. An XYZ semi-automatic pistol with ** live rounds was recovered from the body" I KID YOU NOT when I say that this is the STANDARD release from the police. Every Jamaican citizen could repeat that, verbatim.

Two years ago, 60 policemen (led by our own local Mad (literally) Max, one Reneto Adams, Senior Superintendent of Police) surrounded a house in an area called Braeton where it was alleged that criminals were in hiding. they allegedly called out to the men, who allegedly opened fire. The Police allegedly returned the fire and when the smoke cleared, searched the house. All seven young men, between ages 15 to 20, were allegedly found dead. They had all miraculously been shot in the head at (seemingly, according to an independent pathologist sent in by Amnesty International) point blank range. the police allegedly recovered 4 handguns from which a total of 8 shots had been fired.

There was an inquest; some of the policemen involved refused to testify, (allowed under our Constitution, somewhat like taking the Fifth Amendment) and the jury was split on the issue of criminal charges being brought against anyone. The Judge ruled that no one should be charged!!

There is a litany of similar cases. Too many to mention, but forgive me if I say that in my country I have nothing but loathing for the Police in general. There are good officers of the law here. Problem is that you can never be sure which is which. So the average Jamaican either hates, fears, or both hate and fear the police.

Incidentally, the case I mentioned has come to be known as the Braeton Seven. There may be some material on the Net about it.

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
7 posted 2003-04-24 02:33 PM

Cops... hmmm... well honestly? (And this is coming from a 19 year old) I respect them 100%  I have yet to come across a bad cop. Course I generally stay on the right side of the law, so that could have something to do with it hehe.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

8 posted 2003-04-24 02:34 PM

Cop? You?

Really!

Do you happen to know Charles Fazende? An old friend of the family, he's a sheriff nearby you...? I wanna say Picayune, but I do get confused.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

9 posted 2003-04-24 03:01 PM

and just realized I didn't address the question. (told ya I get confused...)

But the neighborhood I live in is one preferred by local law enforcement. I am not kidding when I say there are at least twenty police officers residing on my street--I admit I was a bit daunted by that at first. Then I realized, after getting to know them, that they are just people--people who chose a particularly difficult job to earn their living. I have become friendly with a number of them, and have heard them talk about the social isolation of wearing a badge. (One buddy of mine said it's like trying to get a table in the cafeteria after you spent all morning "taking names" in class.) And then there is the level of stress involved in just going to work. Just by virtue of putting on the uniform, becoming a target for certain elements of society--a level of stress that only other officers seem to understand, that encourages a certain amount of leariness among them, to a self-imposed isolation--a natural inclination to associate with only each other, as they begin to feel that only another police officer can truly understand their motivations. So...after getting to know these men and women, I have come to realize, that they are indeed ordinary people with extraordinary jobs--and my same buddy said to me, that when he is off of work, he wants to kick back with a cold beer and watch the game just like everybody else. This casual attitude of his gave me new respect for law enforcement, and added sensitivity to the human being who wears that badge. Just folks, and we shouldn't stereotype them into a rigid perception, any more than we would want them to make assumptive generalizations about us--the non-authorities.

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
10 posted 2003-04-24 05:37 PM

I can honestly say it depends on the officer/trooper/deputy. On the whole, I am fairly ambivalent about the entire thing. I agree that they have a difficult job, and I hear all of the stories my ex's best friend's husband tells, and I remember the scenes I saw them go through as an EMT all these years... I just don't actually give them much thought. Of the ones I have had to deal with, most are honest, hard-working, ethical people. I did run into one that wanted to arrest me for a broken Liscence plate light simply because I was a man (I got confirmation from her co-workers). She is a lesbian, and when I didn't apologize quickly enough, and when I asked her to not treat me as a hardened criminal, she went nuts (and I swear I was not being disrespectful).
That is the ONLY time I have seen it happen. I only mentioned it to illustrate that I feel they are like most other professions... some great, some garbage, most just average people doing a difficult job.

Thomas119gold
since 2002-06-03
Posts 708
11 posted 2003-04-24 07:22 PM

Jamaica is different I have seen some wild stuff in the islands

Serenity I don't know him But One of the new hires came from there, She might

Yep I wear a badge and have been called many of things the one that makes me laugh is
PO-Lease
But most who of the people I deal with like me even though they go to jail
weird huh

Thomas119gold
since 2002-06-03
Posts 708
12 posted 2003-04-24 07:24 PM

There are some who wear the badge to be bullies
But most cops won't put up with them at our agency. Everything you do comes back to you

Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
13 posted 2003-04-25 01:49 AM

Hi Hi..

Biloxi? I'm wishing I were back there right now. I had to make a hopefully temporary move to Meridian, MS.

To answer your question, I have always had a respect for them, but now I have appreciation and respect (which could be the same almost). Officers definetely don't get paid enough for what they do.

You could hurt me with your bare hands. You could hurt me using the sharp edge of what you say. JEWEL

KristieSue
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2003-01-31
Posts 1460
PA, US
14 posted 2003-04-25 08:26 AM

I have the utmost respect for Officers who do not abuse their power.

Failure isn't failure if a lesson from it is learned ~ KS

Thomas119gold
since 2002-06-03
Posts 708
15 posted 2003-04-25 10:58 AM

Meridan not to bad but the Coast is what I love the sunrise and sunset make life a wonderful place. Oh and a full moon on the water man I am feeling romantic
I guess I better go back to work LOL

Opeth
since 2001-12-13
Posts 1543
The Ravines
16 posted 2003-04-25 12:31 PM

"I am a cop..."

I had a difficult time getting past this opening phrase. As a son of a 36 year police veteran, and having been around (ready for this) police officers for most of my life, I have never heard them call themselves "cops" - which was always considered a disrespectful term.

Maybe it is an acceptable term amongst the police officers today?

[This message has been edited by Opeth (04-25-2003 12:32 PM).]

WinterWren
since 2002-12-01
Posts 1044
...Coming to
17 posted 2003-04-26 05:22 PM

I greatly respect the majority of law enforcers.
Except for those cops who became so only for a power-ride. I have come across a few of those and they make me SO flaming MAD!!!!

WinterWren
"Even a fool knows that we cannot touch the stars, but that doesn't keep the wise from trying."

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
18 posted 2003-04-26 11:43 PM

When I was growing up in Tennessee I remember a period of about 18 months around the mid to late seventies when all excepting 4 or 5 sherriffs in the whole state were indicted on charges ranging from dealing drugs, wife beating, sodomizing prisoners -- which showed me two things -- widespread corruption and widespread effort to get rid of corruption.

I don't think it's accurate though to say that a Police Officer is a person like anyone else -- they are -- after all wired backwards.  

The average citizen will run away from gunfire or danger -- a Police Officer is trained to approach it.

They are also trained to be in control -- which makes it difficult for them sometimes in situations where they don't have to be in control.

I've had friends who were law enforcement officials ranging from the federal to local levels  -- and I've had some not so friendly brushes as well.

[This message has been edited by Local Rebel (04-26-2003 11:44 PM).]

Thomas119gold
since 2002-06-03
Posts 708
19 posted 2003-04-28 09:56 AM

Opeth
I understand were you are coming from but its something we have done to turn a negative into a positive.
Like eating donuts
LOL

Poet_Jenny_Lea
since 2003-04-25
Posts 27
Texas
20 posted 2003-05-01 09:37 PM

My mother, who bascially raised me and my siblings by herself, taught me to respect the law and the people who enforce the law. I myself have respect for officers.
I will say this, there is a bad apple in every basket. Meaning.. that that are bad doctors with good doctors, good lawyers with bad lawyers, good teachers with bad teachers, good policemen with unforunately a few bad policemen.  The point I am trying to make is you can't judge everyone is bad. Be respectful for them all. And when you come across one/some bad one, don't diss them all, just the one/some.

I said my peace
a raging piece
I said it here
so you can hear...

A poets heart...  Jenny

Poet_Jenny_Lea
since 2003-04-25
Posts 27
Texas
21 posted 2003-05-01 09:49 PM

ps. Something funny you all might appreciate and get laugh out of. I used to live in this small town and next to it was an even smaller town. The population was like a couple of hundred at best I think. And "downtown" was a road. lol It had the pharmacy, firefighters, a doctors office, a convenience store, post office and the police station. Now guess what was built right next to the police station????

A Donut shop!!!!!!

LOL  I laugh every time i go through there still.   Just thought I would share that with you.

WhiteRose
Member Elite
since 2002-07-23
Posts 3208
somebody's dungeon
22 posted 2003-05-02 11:18 PM

Hi Rogue

So you're a cop huh? Well, I'll tell you what my experience with them has been.

Having had a slight run in with the law, too many years ago than I'd like to say, I can speak from experience when I say that all those that I came in contact with were kind, considerate, and very understanding of the fact that I was scared silly about the whole thing.

Then having to deal with them again, when the person breaking the law wasn't me, thank goodness, but was a family member, they were all again, kind, considerate, and understanding of the fact that I was, again, scared silly.

Since I've grown older, and have a bit more experience in this world, having something to do with officers of the law, (and I've often heard them refer to themselves as cops) no longer is a reason for fear. I've come to realize that as long as you are doing nothing wrong, or illegal, there is certainly nothing to be afraid of.

I know a few cops, as friends, and members of my church. They are all fine upstanding citizens, with a love for their community, and care about the safety of the people they are sworn to protect.

So that's my opinion.

[This message has been edited by WhiteRose (05-02-2003 11:19 PM).]

Thomas119gold
since 2002-06-03
Posts 708
23 posted 2003-05-06 11:44 AM

Thanks Rose
and Yes The Rogue is a Cop
LOL
scary isn't it
LOL

JP
since 1999-05-25
Posts 1343
Loomis, CA
24 posted 2003-05-06 01:01 PM

Cops eh?  Never thought about it much really, I guess it is a good thing that I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

They've always treated me professionally and pleasantly when arresting me, never gave me reason to dislike them.

I do respect the job they do, wave to 'em wehn they drive by...

Okay, I guess I am pro-cop afterall...

Yesterday is ash, tomorrow is smoke; only today does the fire burn.
Nil Desperandum, Fata viem invenient

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
25 posted 2003-05-06 01:02 PM

In my job, I work closely with law enforcement so, really, I think I'm biased. I have friends in the sheriff's department and city police department, and Florida Highway Patrol...even have a (really) close friend in federal law enforcement.

I wish I could give an honest opinion, but I can't.

Irie
since 1999-12-01
Posts 1493
Washington State
26 posted 2003-05-06 04:41 PM

I have to agree with what many others have stated .... depends on the officer/cop.

I've had a few run-ins several years ago ... and I've only found one that I would have loved to have slapped!
I do get a bit irritated with the women officers who feel that they have to prove something ……
Other than that,  I have respect for most out there!

~Sheri

"Don't wait for your ship to come in ...
Swim out to it"

[This message has been edited by Irie (05-06-2003 04:42 PM).]

Thomas119gold
since 2002-06-03
Posts 708
27 posted 2003-05-07 10:17 AM

Irie
Jamaican me crazy
Slap ouch!

LOL
get it
Guess not
LOL

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » The general feelings

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary