navwin » Discussion » The Alley » ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i am tired of this
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i am tired of this Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
lildevil
since 2002-11-21
Posts 47
missouri,usa

0 posted 2002-11-29 10:09 PM

ok i just got done reading the monster by marshalzu and once agian while reading the replys to it i find that 90% of the replys are arguments over a simple critque which nothing should be said over but is because some people dont know when to but out of others peoples thoughts or want to play big brother when they should it
yes i agree that if the person dont want critques then you should just say good poem and good bye and leave that and if they want honest critiques then more power to anyone with an opinion
i know i may be kicked out for this post for being honest and i am quite happy to say if i get kicked out of this place peice out everyone cuz welcome to the enter net this isnt the only site to post poetry on
the sulotion to this problem is if the poet disagrees with a reply let them send the person a message dont but in and take up space which people with real opions can use
now if i offend i appologize let me know and if you dont want it seen my email is on my profile

oh and for everyone who reads this please make sure every one on here knows about it cuz i truely honestly sincerly want everyones opinion

ps look mom and dad no puncuation

© Copyright 2002 tammy barlet - All Rights Reserved
lildevil
since 2002-11-21
Posts 47
missouri,usa
1 posted 2002-11-29 10:17 PM

i forgot to put something else last time icheeked this is america  and we have the fredom to voice our opions and i am sure you guys in canada have the same concept going on i dont know much about whats going on up there so let me know

Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania
2 posted 2002-11-29 11:12 PM

Well, I should just keep my mouth shut.
Personally, I read marshalzu poem and loved it.  I diden't even notice anything amiss. But I was never good at grammer and punctuation  

To me poetry is a form of expressing your feelings, and ideas.  I think if you want it analyzed you should go to critical analysis or poetry workshop.  But I know nothing, I see nothing I could be talking out my (cough) you know where.

Okay, I will shut up now this is just my 2 cents which is not worth a whole heck of a lot.

[This message has been edited by Miah (11-29-2002 11:12 PM).]

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
3 posted 2002-11-30 01:04 AM

"some people dont know when to but out of others peoples thoughts"

Old habits die hard. Excuse me, I'm off to defend another close friend

No, on second thought, let's not go to Camelot.
~ Arthur (Monty Python Search for the Holy Grail)
I'm Rhondiforous!

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
4 posted 2002-11-30 01:18 AM

uhm - why didn't you just email the people you have a problem with? That seems to be what you're suggesting?

You've presented several issues here and you get my take on them because... well, I got here first.

I, intentionally, haven't looked at the post you're speaking of. Really, it doesn't matter. I have full faith that if things got out of hand, our Senior Moderators and Deputy Moderators (of which Marshalzu is one of the latter and I one of the former) would have discreetly and fairly addressed the situation.

The first thing I want to point out is in reference to your own words - if 90% of the people are arguing over a critique, doesn't that mean that 90% of the people like to do so? That statement tells me that the majority disagree with what you're saying. Of course, I know this isn't wholly true, nor completely representative of Passions as a whole. If someone has their critique box flagged, then one can certainly expect people to critique their works. Critiquing a work can cover many areas and often will end up with disagreements because people see things differently. There's nothing wrong with that. Everyone has a right to their own opinion - it's what helps us learn and grow; if all you had was your opinion, with no other input, you would stagnate.

This leads into another portion of your statement, one which has been discussed many a time here:
quote:
i forgot to put something else last time icheeked this is america  and we have the fredom to voice our opions...
This is an absolutely true statement. And I have two issues with it.

Issue 1: If, as you stated, everyone has the right to their own opinion, then why should we stop those arguing a critique from voicing theirs? Or is it only your opinion we should listen to?

Issues 2: This is a free country. However, the Internet, and specifically in this situation, Passions, isn't America. Passions is a virtual property owned by Ron Carnell, an individual, and opened - much as one would open their home - to those who wish to come visit. As such, he has the right to make rules for his house. We, as free Americans (Canadians, etc.) have the right to accept his invitation or not as we choose. However, by the wording you agreed to when you signed up, by entering, we agree to follow the few, simple guidelines he's set down for his home.

Don't get me wrong, you are more than welcome to voice your opinion here. This is a good way to bring it up and get input on it. No one in Passions' history has been kicked out for voicing their opinion. No one. Hopefully I've given you a little more insight by voicing mine.

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
5 posted 2002-11-30 07:12 AM

First off...
"now if i offend i appologize let me know" don't apologize! Like you said, free speech. You're stating your opinion, and if someone gets offended over it, then he (or she) needs to grow up a bit.
Lildevil, you haven't been here long enough to know the history that Teen unfortunately has with Casey. Go take a look at some of her past critiques, and I promise you may understand better why people (I especially) immediately started an "argument" with her. If you don't, feel free to email me and I will gladly explain it to you  
"...want to play big brother" Why not? No one else will for him.
"dont but in" So I'm supposed to stand by and let a close friend have his poem critiqued by someone with an attitude about his punctuation use? Honestly, she doesn't know what she's talking about half the time. She shut up rather quickly about my punctuation use when she found out that I'm an English major.
"the sulotion to this problem..." who's to say that's the solution? It's your opinion. What if the author doesn't feel that it's the solution?
"take up space which people with real opions can use" My opinion isn't real just because I didn't say "good poem, Andrew, blah blah blah"? Honey, he knows that by defending him, I'm saying his poem is good (or he should know that).  Everyone's opinion is real, I'm afraid.
"i am sure you guys in canada have the same concept going on" *laughs* Well, the concept is here, but apparantly we're not...uh... that's for another vent

Christopher, the situation has been addressed numerous times.
"Everyone has a right to their own opinion - it's what helps us learn and grow;"
"Critiquing a work can cover many areas and often will end up with disagreements because people see things differently"
Yes, but Christopher, (and lildevil) it is the WAY she critiques that pisses everybody off. I suggest again that you go look at her past critiques  

I'm Rhondiforous!

[This message has been edited by Skyfire (11-30-2002 07:13 AM).]

lildevil
since 2002-11-21
Posts 47
missouri,usa
6 posted 2002-11-30 05:07 PM

my problem is not with peopl criqueing your others opions my problems are with the public arguements or standing up for close friends my problem is the five or ten continuos problems that arise between two or three people and noone else i am sure that the poet who ever they are would much rather read replys from people who have something to say about their poem instead of about a reply isnt this the place to settle beefs between people
and about whatyou said skyfire yes everyone has a true real opion but but when i am talking about people with a real opinion about the poem in question oh i dont mean that everyone should listen to me i may be wromg in some cases but there are cases where people dont say anything bad for the ressons listed above and if they are wrong they should be delt with properly not so every one can see

clve527
since 2002-07-08
Posts 200

7 posted 2002-11-30 05:19 PM

Not even worth it, sorry to have posted this in the first place.

Casey

[This message has been edited by clve527 (11-30-2002 06:06 PM).]

Skyfire
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
8 posted 2002-11-30 08:35 PM

sorry lildevil, I was rather... not myself when I wrote that

I'm Rhondiforous!

quietlydying
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-06-10
Posts 935
the wonderful land of oz
9 posted 2002-12-03 02:48 PM

not only did you completely omit all punctuation in that little pointless blab, but you also forgot to spell properly and use acceptable grammar.

i didn't even bother reading your full post as it was so juvenile.

/jen/

i'm so bitterly disappointed.  betty, i think it's time you leave now.

quietlydying
since 2001-06-10
Posts 935
the wonderful land of oz
10 posted 2002-12-03 02:49 PM

and thus you make no sense whatsoever.

/jen/

Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
11 posted 2002-12-03 02:50 PM

Jen, whatever happened to the Thumper philosophy?
quietlydying
since 2001-06-10
Posts 935
the wonderful land of oz
12 posted 2002-12-03 05:51 PM

that i leave for teen.

did you not read my post?

/jen/

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
13 posted 2002-12-03 07:24 PM

And why doesn't anyone ask the question -- is punctuation important?

I read the poem, the lack of a second question mark is odd at best.

Marshalzu
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-15
Posts 2681
Lurking
14 posted 2002-12-04 09:42 AM

I can live with odd
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
15 posted 2002-12-04 11:32 AM

Jen, those who live in glass houses should be a little more careful with the stones they hurl. When you find your shift key, then you can legitimately complain about others. Politely, of course. And you'll still be a long way from being able to legitimately call any post juvenile.
quietlydying
since 2001-06-10
Posts 935
the wonderful land of oz
16 posted 2002-12-04 12:12 PM

i don't use my shift key out of pure laziness [i abandoned it years ago].  but i do use proper punctuation and half-hearted grammar so that people don't struggle to read and comprehend my posts and replies.

i find it insulting to the english language when people don't take the time or energy to proofread and fix errors like 'replys'.  but what place do i have to get my panties tied in a knot over someone else's lack of concentration or devotion?

consider this an official apology.  i went over the edge on the previous reply.  i am sincerely sorry for the callous disregard of others' sensitivities and will be more careful in the future.

/jen/

i'm freezing, i'm starving, i'm bleeding to death.  everything's fine.  [tracy bonham]

aaron woodside
since 2001-09-26
Posts 256

17 posted 2002-12-24 01:41 AM

I don't see any reason not to just stop reading a poem or post that has bad grammer.  I'm not the best at my english, but if it's too hard to understand, then I just walk away.  Not worth my time to try to understand what they are writing if they won't take the time to make it readable.  I agree with Jen on this one, to an extent.  Zu's poem was fine though.  

ex animo,
Aaron Woodside

There are no great men, only men in great circumstances.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i am tired of this

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary