navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Interruptions. The Shining Syndrome
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Interruptions. The Shining Syndrome Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland

0 posted 2002-09-30 04:28 PM

OK, I think this is my first time making a post in
the alley but I have to let rip.......

Have you ever been interrupted when writing a poem by a family member and you completely lose your train of thought? To make matters worse, it is something small, like wondering where is a piece of paper they misplaced or how to turn on a mobile phone. After this happens a few times they wonder why you are getting so snappy.

Well It is happening to me tonight, just as I am beginning to shift that writers block I have the
door opens and my name is called.

Don't people know what happens to a writer with a continous block... they enter into Jack Nicholson Shining mode.

I am off to talk nicely to my muse and see if we can get some quiet time together.

Don't drag the orchestra into this thing
Rattle those sticks, rattle those sticks
The sound is beautiful, its perfect!
The birthday party

© Copyright 2002 brian madden - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2002-09-30 04:35 PM

smiling...I am literally in the center of the house. You have my sympathies. Then? smiling wider now, when you have children, just TRY to go hide with notebook awhile.

uh uh.

No Go.

I generally ask in frustration, "Why are ya'll following me?"

To which they reply in unison in this really annoying cherub type voice, "Because...we LOVE you!"

Don't let 'em kid you. I know sarcasm when I hear it.

Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania
2 posted 2002-09-30 06:04 PM

Brian,
Know how you feel, when I am deeply into something I am doing I bite anyone's head off that comes by.  

Can't they see were busy.   

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

3 posted 2002-09-30 06:20 PM

Phones were made
for writers to scream at.

Doors were made
for writers to block shut.

Pens were made
to run out of ink!

I was made
to write a really lame poem here.

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
4 posted 2002-09-30 08:54 PM

Simple solution: Keep a water gun, loaded and ready, next to you when you're muse is ready to cooperate. One quick squirt at the genus interuptus will show them you want to be alone (or you'll end up soaking wet after a water gun fight!)...
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
5 posted 2002-09-30 09:19 PM

Oh yes.

The irony is that i'm here (at pip) right now, because my four-year-old nephew is also "writing a book," as I told him i was doing... uhm... well, i thought *i* was bad about needing support... every three seconds, "look what letter i just wrote uncle chris! looklooklooklooklook"

ROFL - love him madly, but he's death on concentration!

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
6 posted 2002-10-01 08:56 AM

Oh, YES!

Sheesh.

We need to start a thread as has been started here on interruptus solutions....

Marshalzu
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-15
Posts 2681
Lurking
7 posted 2002-10-02 08:56 AM

I find a sign hung on the handle fo my shut door usually does the job but just incase I normally wear a pair of headphones with some music playing. If these are a little too simple I suggest you invest in a cattle prod or install spke traps beneath the entrance to the room where you write.

Andrew

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
8 posted 2002-10-02 03:07 PM

Karen, you must have the centre of the house sectioned off, barbed wire. Heh they are your kinds, but when they are interrupting your muse, drastic measures must be taken. Ok barbed wire is a little OTT, an electric fence on the other hand, one shock should keep em at bay.

Miah, glad to know that my anger does not make me a psychopath, just a passionate poet.

Mike, thanks for the poem.

Sharon, firstly my computer would get wet, secondly the genus interuptus is my mum, who is no doubt seeking revenge for all the times I raised hell as a kid. I guess I deserve these interruptions. As the line from the sitcom "That 70's show" goes "I gave you life what more do you want.

Chris, I am starting to think I am angrier at my muse than being interrupted. Bad idea giving info like that to a kid, I have a teenage cousin (sounds like the title of a bad C&W song), nosy as hell. When she sees me at the computer, she wants to know what I am doing, if I am e-mailing, who am I e-mailing  and can she read my e-mails. Best to use the mushroom theory,
“keep them in the dark and feed them dirt”.  

Karilea, excellent idea. Come on guys need your ideas on getting peace and quiet.

Andrew, in Ireland you need planning permission if want to hang up a tyre swing, lethal traps in your home…well there is a lot of red tape and forms. I guess I should just write in my bedroom lock the door and turn the stereo up loud.

El riesgo vive siempre!

FuzzyFrazzledFraggle
since 2002-09-20
Posts 155
Fraggle Rock
9 posted 2002-10-24 01:56 PM

That's why I moved out Then again I still have my roommates to bug me sometimes URGH..lol

Consider yourself fuzzed

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
10 posted 2002-10-25 07:52 PM

Yep.....but all I can ever do is throw a shoe
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
11 posted 2002-10-25 11:37 PM

Don't you know most muses work best after midnight, after the munchkins and friends all go to bed? Put the hatchet down, Jack, and pick up the pen at night.
Wind
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-10-12
Posts 2981

12 posted 2002-10-27 10:56 AM

i know. my mom has no idea what I am doing (If I told her she would want to read my poetry and i hate that for some reason)so she thinks that it is ok to interupt me. Then I get what I call a writter's block. Can't stand it!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Interruptions. The Shining Syndrome

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary