navwin » Discussion » The Alley » somebody please explain
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic somebody please explain Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
epoet
since 2000-05-11
Posts 291
grand rapid,MI, usa

0 posted 2001-12-05 12:12 PM

Can someone please explain why people act so weird when they find out someone has a tattoo?  I've been mulling this over for a week now and can't figure it out.  A friend of mine for the last 10 years recently found out that I have 5 tattoos.  He went nuts and started telling me that I was an evil person and that I was going to hell when I die.
   This bothered me considering the fact that all the tattoos I have are very tasteful and have something to do with a particular time, event or period of my life.  I was irritated that someone I trusted and thought was my friend would be so....   Anyway, I didn't know what else to say or how to even understand why he would say that.  I don't think there is any harm in having a tattoo.
  The five I have are of the scales of justice (which coincidentally is also the sign of the zodiac for us libras), a pegasus flying with a moon and blue clouds behind it (for my love of science fiction and fantasy novels), a feather pen with an inkpot and an old piece of parchment with the words CARPE DIEM on it (representing my love for poetry and my personal philosophy of seizing the day), comedy and tragedy masks (my connection to my sister and my love for theater), and a clown with a derby with a rose in it and a cigar in his mouth and a teardrop on his face (my friend designed this one, I always clowned around with everyone I knew when I was stationed in Louisiana.  Every girl I knew I made sure got flowers on their birthday and I always wore a hat of some kind and always had either a cigar or cigarette lit.  The teardrop was added because she didn't want me to leave.)
  I don't mean to rattle on like this but these tattoos are special to me.  So for me to be told I was evil because of them hurt.  I just don't understand am I a bad person because of the fact that I have tattoos?

P. J. Kotrch
carpe diem
A soul once touched is a soul once blessed by love

© Copyright 2001 Pat Kotrch - All Rights Reserved
SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
1 posted 2001-12-05 01:11 PM

well, I have 5 tattoos also. I have them for similar reasons. They MEAN something to me, and represent a time or a part of, my life, or of me. I love tattoos.  

NO, there is nothing wrong with them at all. Your "friend" has a problem or a hangup. How in the world this person thinks you will go to hell for a tattoo is nuts. I'd personally avoid someone that stupid.

I love the way you described your tattoos. I bet they are great!   I'm sorry your friend hurt you with ignorance. That really sucks.

People with tattoos are the same as everyone else, we just happen to be decorated.   It's no different from folks who color their hair, or pierce something. You are adding to who you are. It doesn't change your heart.

I hope that helps some.  
(((hugs)))
~SEA

Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

2 posted 2001-12-05 01:54 PM

Sweetie, tell them to mind their own business. If someone is worth having as a friend, they'll take you as one for who you are. Life is too short to try to please everyone, if you enjoy having it, that's all that counts!

Kathleen (Kay)
"When red-haired girls scamper like roses over the rain-green grass, and the sun drips honey."
Laurie Lee

Dusk Treader
since 1999-06-18
Posts 1187
St. Paul, MN
3 posted 2001-12-05 09:21 PM

I happen to have a tattoo myself, and it has meaning to me too. I agree with what I believe the others have said that if this person you told can't respect you for the person you are, then I'm not sure he's worth it. Especially if the reason for being so angry is something so superficial. If he still is acting the same way after having a chance to calm down, he may not be worth it.

"A hard, cold wisom is required for goodness to accomplish good. Goodness without wisdom always accomplishes evil" - Robert Heinlein

Elizabeth
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
4 posted 2001-12-05 11:28 PM

I have no tattoos, but if someone wants one, I don't care! Go for it! It's their body and as long as they're tastefully done it's fine. Perhaps your friend is being ignorant and associates tattoos with bad people (like bikers (who I don't think are bad, some people might though) or gang members maybe?). I don't know, just a thought.  

God bless America, my home sweet home.

PhaerieChild
since 1999-08-30
Posts 1787
Aloha, Oregon
5 posted 2001-12-06 09:13 AM

I know what you mean. I have 4 tattoos and when people see them they think some pretty bizarre thoughts. I had a minister tell me once that my tats were the work of Satan. (It doesn't help that I am also a female.) Get real...my tats are there because they mean something to me. To ME!! I don't even bother trying to explain them anymore. If a person wants to be my friend, they take me as is. If not, well I can only consider it their loss. I am sorry that a person that you felt so close to has chosen to get so weird about it. Hopefully after awhile that person will see you as the whole package and not just a little ink.

How can you save me?
When the dark comes right in and takes me,
from my front walk and into bed,
where it kisses my face and eats my head. Shivaree

Irie
since 1999-12-01
Posts 1493
Washington State
6 posted 2001-12-06 10:09 PM

Your friend is clearly mistaken about what he has read in the Bible or what someone has told him.
See, I too have a tat and like it and am even thinking about getting another.

It does say in the Bible that we should not mark our bodies as they are temples.
But it doesn't say that we'll go to hell for piercing ears, other body parts or getting tattoo's.

You can tell your friend that the Bible also says THOU SHALL NOT JUDGE!

I hope you are able to work through this. A true friend, in my opinion, would not have lashed out at you like that.

~Sheri

"The things that come to those that wait may be the things
left by those who got there first"

The Lonely Stranger
since 1999-06-18
Posts 361
Upstate, NY, USA
7 posted 2001-12-07 05:33 AM

"You can tell your friend that the Bible also says THOU SHALL NOT JUDGE!"

Actually, the Bible does not say that. "Thou shalt not..." is a prefix for items in the 10 commandments. I find that people tend to take Christs admonition to "Judge not, lest Ye be judged" as a blank check. We seem to think that because other humans shouldn't judge us that we will escape judgement.

That said ..... I find myself asking ... whats wrong with tattoos ?? I mean I wouldn't get one, cause I hear they hurt and I'm a big wuss. But if you wan't one, why not get one ?? Is it any different than hair coloring, a boob job, pierced ears or liposuction?

No one ever listened themselves into trouble.

[This message has been edited by The Lonely Stranger (edited 12-07-2001).]

Sudhir Iyer
Member Ascendant
since 2000-04-26
Posts 6943
Mumbai, India : now in Belgium
8 posted 2001-12-07 06:59 AM

Well, I think having tattoos painted or piercing done is your personal choice.

However, if you are married or together with someone (pleading infinite love), the other half is entitled to be asked of his/her opinion and if he/she is comfortable with someone he/she loves doing such a thing.

I do not have a tattoo, but I might have one on me. But, when or where etc. is still my decision, and if it is after marriage, I will ask my Wife for her opinion. If she doesn't fancy the idea and I can't convince her, I will not have the tattoo.

I do not think that there is anything Godly or Anti-Godly about tattoos, or this discussion itself...

Thanks for allowing me to speak...

Regards,
Sudhir

anonymousfemale
Member Elite
since 2000-02-02
Posts 2797
Limbo
9 posted 2001-12-08 10:46 AM

Your friend said this? Unbelievable. I'm sorry too that your friend has hurt you this way.

There is nothing wrong with tattoos but I personally would never get one if you paid me. Many of my friends have tats and I've never seen them as any different. My brother got one and although I ragged him for it for ages, you come to the realisation that a little bit of ink doesn't change the person. So tell your friend to get lost and live life the way YOU want.  

Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh my gosh....I could be eating a slow learner.

Bec
since 2001-02-23
Posts 475
Canberra
10 posted 2001-12-09 11:22 PM

A man I know used to be a tattooist, is covered tattoos from neck to feet, including arms, and used to ride a Harley Davidson.

This same man used to do fundraising for the Children's Hospital, loves his children and grandchildren to pieces and has welcomed me into his home.

There's nothing wrong with tattoos. Some of the nicest people I know have tattoos. So why not go and get another one? :P

"Poetry and Hums aren't things which you get, they're things which get you. And all you can do is to go where they can find you."
-Winnie-the-Pooh

Parker
Member Elite
since 2000-01-06
Posts 3129
ON
11 posted 2002-01-02 12:04 PM

SEA, can we see all your tattoo's...

Parker

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
12 posted 2002-01-02 01:51 AM

Hey Parker!  You and I are on the same wavelength I just sent her an email LOL, and heck forget the person who judged you, judge not, less yee be judged.  You know who you are, they obviously are not sure who they are.  Viva le or la tattoo - and Sea, answer my email LOL.

~*~ Carpe' Diem ~*~

SEA
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
13 posted 2002-01-02 10:19 AM

Parker, when I get my digital camera, I promise, I will take pictures of my tattoos and send them to you. Mysteria, i sent you an email I am wanting another, I want a SEA horse on the back of my neck, so when I put my hair up, you could see it. I have one all picked out too. Fairly small, but not too small. It's really pretty
Parker
Member Elite
since 2000-01-06
Posts 3129
ON
14 posted 2002-01-02 01:48 PM

SEA, I'm holding you to it.
SEA
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
15 posted 2002-01-02 01:57 PM

hey Handsome, I hope so
yes, I really will.
Be patient though,
I know for sure we are getting the camera before June,so somewhere in there, you'll get them

RosePetal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-08-26
Posts 2985
South Florida
16 posted 2002-01-02 03:10 PM

epoet, don't let your friend get to you! I think tattoos express individuality! People have told me that I am going to go to hell just because I have a tongue ring.
I plan on getting a tattoo very soon, and I don't think people should look at me any differently because of it. You go ahead and show off those tattoos proudly, they are art!

RosePetal

Parker
Member Elite
since 2000-01-06
Posts 3129
ON
17 posted 2002-01-02 05:05 PM

June..... come on sweety..... just lay down on your scanner and press flash... errr I mean scan.

did somebody say tongue ring... hmmm i'll be good.

anybody got a bellybutton ring to admit to. (my favorite).

I use to think all these body modifications were kind of odd.... then I found them interesting and now they just seem so sexy.
Like anything in life, change is hard on people and then it becomes a fashion and maybe just common. Alot of the things that these people accept today as ok and normal in other times and even other places today would be looked at as weird or strange, and simbols of the devil or whatnot. They will get over it.

Although bright yellow spandex bell bottoms, burn em, burn em, burn em at the stake..... They are the work of the devil I know it....lol

In Canada we made it legal for women to go topless in public. Can't get more advanced then that.
All the men were cheering for that law....
In support of womens rights, I mean.

Parker

SEA
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
18 posted 2002-01-02 08:03 PM

Parker~ before June Handsome, I go on vacation the first week of June.... I'll see what I can do...

I want a belly ring...hmmmm now I'm thinking maybe I should LOL looks like it'll hurt pretty good though...

tattoos are just self expression. Not the work of the devil like those yellow spandex bell bottoms Handsome was talking about, yuck......all bell bottoms are yucky.....

Mother_Earth
since 2000-11-20
Posts 1370
1/2 year Texas & 1/2 year Michigan
19 posted 2002-01-03 01:24 AM

I thought tattoo's were gross.  Now I think most of my grandkids have them, plus the rings in places I never thought they could be.  So it is better to except them and be careful when I give them a hug.  

[This message has been edited by Mother_Earth (01-03-2002 01:26 AM).]

BloomingRose
Member Elite
since 2000-08-09
Posts 3092
Florida
20 posted 2002-01-03 09:32 AM

I am sorry your "friend" said those things to you.
First if you've read the Bible then you know it's the soul that leaves the body when we die and not our physical bodies as we know it, and where we end up has NOTHING to do with tatoos. God looks at what is in our heart, not at body art... your friend must have a problem.
I have seen some tatoos that are really ugly, and some that are nice looking.
I have freckles, that's about a thousand little tatoos...  

Jamie
Member Elite
since 2000-06-26
Posts 3168
Blue Heaven
21 posted 2002-01-03 11:07 PM

i want tattoo pics too---,, no not guy from fantasy island      

There is society where none intrudes, by the deep sea, and music in its roar.
byron

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » somebody please explain

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary