navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Health Nuts
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Health Nuts Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Constance
since 2001-07-28
Posts 393
Ohio

0 posted 2001-08-09 02:08 PM

These are well-meaning folks, and some are to be admired and respected, but let's face it, no one enjoys being told that something they've been eating, drinking, breathing, or swimming in for thirty years causes cancer in laboratory wombats.  In the first place, none of my close associates are wombats of any kind, and besides, these announcements make one feel paranoid about years of innocent exposure, while helpless to reverse them.  It becomes clear that the reason young people these days stay so slim is they have trimmed their diets to include only two or three "safe" items, like bottled water, organically grown pinon nuts, and polyunsaturated Richard Simmons!

© Copyright 2001 Constance M. Lessard - All Rights Reserved
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
1 posted 2001-08-09 04:24 PM

I have found it mordidly interesting that those 'lab' tests usually include injecting into a lab animal enormous amounts of whatever chemical or substance the researchers are being paid to promote. Caffeine can kill you, since it killed this here rat, but we didn't tell you that we injected a third of it's body weight in caffeine into the little critter. I weigh about 140. If I injected 45 pounds of liquid caffeine into me, I'd die too. Of course, if I ingested or injected that much of anything, all in one go, I'd be just as dead.

I used to infuriate my dietetics teachers (back when I was a dietetics major) by wearing an 'Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyways' t-shirt, often with a pack of smokes in the pocket. And when they started in on quality of life vs quantity of life, I'd always go with quality, telling them that I'd rather die at 50 of a heart conniption surrounded by friends and family, eating a big medium rare steak, big baker with lots of butter and sour cream, with a beer in hand, than to waste away in a nursing home at 90, friends, family and loved ones gone before, being fed strained peas by a well-intentioned nurse. Needless to say, I'm not a dietician.  

I must say that I enjoy talking with die-hard vegans. They never seem to like to answer where they get their B-complex vitamins, which are found only from animal sources. The lack of those vitamins will and do cause serious health situations, which are not easily rectified. So, if someone actually likes eating bean curd and seaweed, and the myriad of soy products, let em. I just pray they don't invite me to dinner.

Constance
since 2001-07-28
Posts 393
Ohio
2 posted 2001-08-09 05:57 PM

Alicat, what a chuckle I got from your post! Yes indeed, it's strange how they seem to come at you with new waves of warnings. Remember the Phisohex soap thing? Everyone was diligently washing up with this stuff thinking it was a good thing, then they tell us that though our paws may be emaculate, they very well might drop off or something equally dismaying. You can't win! I firmly believe that although reasonable cleanliness is ok, we are becoming a sterility obsessed generation. In the process, it seems like our children are more vulnerable to every bug that does break through the line. Can it be that we are weakening natural immunities?

As far as healthy habits go, I'm with you---I've seen sons and daughters just nag and berate the heck out of their elderly parents about smoking and diet. What, they think it's gonna stunt their growth or something? I say if I manage to make it to a ripe old age with all my vices in tact, then woe to the offspring who offers a discouraging word!

I also agree with you about veganism. My stepson is vegan.  He is 16 yrs. old, and it was a TEACHER who influenced his choice. He has been vegan for about 2 years, and he has developed some problems already. He has a facial tic, which his doctor thinks is diet-related.  He strongly advised that he eat at least some meat, but the boy won't even consider it, so now he has to have vitamin suppliment injections every week. I worry, but I'm not the custodial parent, so----------------.Lord help us if he finds out what glue is made of, he'll probably refuse to read books!

BTW, I sure miss AZ!

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
3 posted 2001-08-10 12:48 PM

Constance- woe to the offspring? Don't you think that's a bit harsh, especially considering the fact that the children are obviously concerned about their parents? You realize, of course, that when children (especially children that are still minors and dependents of their parents) observe the parents destroying their health, it not only sets a bad example (i.e. if my parents don't care about their health, how can they care about me? or, if my parents are just going to keep killing themselves, why should i follow their rules?) but it also thrusts the child into a position of parenting the parent. You don't sound like you've ever been put into the situation... well, you should talk to children who have had to put their parents through therapy for drug abuse and alcoholism, kids who have to call ambulances when their parents can't breathe, kids who have to break plans with their friends to take care of parents who are making themselves sick. Try telling them about laying off their parents.
Constance
since 2001-07-28
Posts 393
Ohio
4 posted 2001-08-10 01:35 AM

hush, no offense was meant here, my post was an exagerated rant, written with my tongue planted firmly in my cheek. Obviously, the extreme and excessive use of any substance or activity is unhealthy at any age. I used the words elderly parent, but probably should have included the word healthy. I still believe that mature adults should not be dictated to by their children. My children are healthy, responsible adults, so am I. I love them, they know it. They love me, I know it. We even like each other! I don't interfere in their lives though, and I expect the same from them. Again, no offense was meant, just sos ya know. smiles!
SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
5 posted 2001-08-11 01:54 AM

ya know, when I was younger, I nagged my mom into quitting smoking. I'm happy I did. your tongue in cheek rant was fine, but there are some of us who love our parents and want them around a while. I don't care who I piss off, I nag my parents, to do the right thing. I keep my mouth shut(mostly) about what they eat, and drink and all that, even with having a diabetic father that eats too damn much sugar.
but trying to be healthy and to eat healthy is not a bad thing. I cut beef out of my diet.No other meats, just beef. I feel better, and I look better. So what? You gonna rag my ass for eating healthy and wanting to feel good??? That is just not right. I want to live as much as I can, not live as hard and as fast as I can.....only to get sick and have internal organs quit working because I didn't even try to take care of myself. I had my most beloved Aunt die that way, and I won't do it. Sure, she did as she damn well pleased, but she died slowly and painfully one problem after another, one organ failing after another. I wish I'd have ragged her like crazy. Then maybe on her birthday, the 15th of this month, I wouldn't be crying my heart out, I'd have been able to tell her I love her instead!!!

[This message has been edited by SEA (edited 08-11-2001).]

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
6 posted 2001-08-11 07:56 AM

Everyone's got their own crosses to bear - All are different, and all are equally as relevant to the bearer.  Whatever our personal cross, when we can bear it with humor - smile - reflect with a smirk... Our own lives will be more pleasurable.  Give me tongue-in-cheek anyday.  My now forgetful 98 yr old (forever healthy) grandmother sits in her nursing home world wondering why her son isn't visiting her.  He can't, of course, because he lived the fast life and drove his motorcycle through the back end of an 18 wheeler 31 years ago.  I think of both of them with a great big ole smile... It makes my day, ya know?
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
7 posted 2001-08-11 12:39 PM

did you know that posting on internet message boards can be hazardous to your health?

if your workstation is designed improperly you could get carpal tunnel syndrome, a bad back, neck and shoulder pain, eye strain, or many other maladies

of course this assumes that you aren't subject to other environmental issues related to your office/home itself -- like radon gas for instance -- or other toxins from the building materials

So, instead of sitting here typing we should be outside.. in the sun.. getting skin cancer...

rofl

Moon Dust
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 1999-06-11
Posts 2177
Skelmersdale, UK
8 posted 2001-08-16 07:41 PM

Ah everything we do is a risk.

You don't have a choice to die but you do have a choice how you meet it.

inot2B
Member Elite
since 2000-09-18
Posts 2205
Arkansas
9 posted 2001-08-16 09:05 PM

There is a difference in wanting to be healthy and being a health nut. Those that eat right, (you know the food groups we learned about in school) and those who follow every new eating fad that the stars say will make you so healthy and live forever.
All the lab test done on new and old products the scientest will say what ever the company pays them to. Then when another company comes up with a similar product they get a different lab to test other companies product and says how bad it is.  

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Health Nuts

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary