navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Dont know what to call this (please read)
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Dont know what to call this (please read) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Erin
Member Elite
since 2000-06-15
Posts 2527
~Chicago~

0 posted 2000-09-30 11:43 AM

I found something quite intresting or maybe not so intresting. Someone posted up something about replying to poems. Well I said what was on my mind. And someone had something to say to what I said. To make a long story short after I said what I had to say this person left an intresting message on my post saying "as she counted the spiders as they crawled up inside". Would anyone like to tell me what they would refer to this as??I would really like to know. Its getting kinda bothersome right now because of the fact that I dont undestand it.

P.S.~I was gonna add the link but I didnt feel like letting everyone know who this person was. If you read the poem you would know. I am gonna put it here though so take a look!
   /pip/Forum36/HTML/001810.html

[This message has been edited by ERIN (edited 09-30-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Erin Erbs - All Rights Reserved
StarPryncess17
since 2000-05-31
Posts 932
Colorado
1 posted 2000-09-30 11:48 AM

LoL Erin! If I could speak..umm...well nevermind, I'll keep it clean. If I could speak his thought/language, I would tell you what this means, but because I don't and you know I"m not too fond of him, I can just say only he would be capable of coming up with something like this! Sorry I can't help!!
Luv2LuvYa~
Love Always
~*~Jello~*~

p.s. I think it would be helpful if you added your poem to here to show the significance...maybe?

~*~sMiLe! It MaKeS yOuR bUtT ShInE~*~

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
2 posted 2000-09-30 02:09 PM

I'm not sure I would call any of the song lyrics from The Smashing Pumpkins "deep," but you'll find that particular reference on their February album, Machina: The Machines Of God.

You want my advice? Dropping obscure references without attributing them is a ploy to turn dialog into a game. Unless you want to play the game, ignore the post completely.

Erin
Member Elite
since 2000-06-15
Posts 2527
~Chicago~
3 posted 2000-09-30 02:15 PM

Ron~It just really gets to me that someone has to say something like this. I dont think I have ever left (in my eyes this was cruel) something so rude. I mean I know Im not perfect but that was just flat out mean. I took it as if he was intentionally trying to be rude because of a post I left to a topic that is in the teen forum. I think you read it on the posting. I mean I had to have one of the moderators close one of my poems because I asked for advice and was getting this guys opinion. I didnt ask for an opinion I asked for just a little help. And I think that an opinion and advice are 2 different things. You know what I mean?

And Im not a fan of Smashing Pumpkins so I dont know what you are talking about.

Thank you for taking the time out to read this.

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
4 posted 2000-09-30 05:08 PM

I don't think there's anything intrinsically rude with using a quote to make a point. It would be no different than if I said "A rose by any other nameā€¦" and then let you finish the thought (assuming my quote was germane to your post). Since you don't really know the intent behind the quote, let alone what is was to have meant, it's a little hard to call it rude.

Yes, opinion and advice are two different things. But the differences are darn subtle. Do you know of any possible way to give advice without also giving an opinion? When you give someone advice, you are telling a person what you think they should do. What you think they should do, however, is just an opinion (though some are more solidly based than others). If you ask for advice you will always get an opinion. It's up to you whether you want to take that opinion seriously.

Of course - that's just my opinion.  

Erin
Member Elite
since 2000-06-15
Posts 2527
~Chicago~
5 posted 2000-09-30 05:49 PM

I am taking it the rude way because it is reminding me of someone saying "what crawled up your behind". You know what I am saying with that. And its just the way I am taking it. I mean what kind of reply is that to a poem like that?
Honeybee
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-26
Posts 5372
Ontario, CANADA
6 posted 2000-09-30 07:10 PM

Hi Erin, I say listen to Ron, he is always fair and gives great advice.  However, I do understand why that person's comment would upset you, I read the link and I have no idea why he would write such an insensitive and ignorant comment to a serious poem about God.  I also don't feel that his comment was deep, because right there with his rude nature it showed the immature quality of his character - his user name says it all doesn't it    It's best to follow Ron's advice and ignore such a post and be proud of a great poem  

Take care,
Melissa Honeybee

The beauty of poetry gives my soul wings to fly free within dreams

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
7 posted 2000-09-30 07:56 PM

I have a question:

If you read a poem and I read the same poem, what are the chances that we will both see it or interpret it the same way?

I think this is what happened with Dopey's response. He knew what he meant...but didn't convey it clearly.

If I were you, I'd let it go. Read poetry, respond and have a good time. (and authorize me on ICQ Erin!)

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
8 posted 2000-10-01 06:25 PM

And believe me - EVERYONE has an opinion!  
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Dont know what to call this (please read)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary