navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Never Happen
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Never Happen Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan

0 posted 2011-11-28 12:38 PM

“If President Obama is not willing to seize the moral high ground and step aside, then the two Democratic leaders in Congress, Sen. Harry Reid and Rep. Nancy Pelosi, must urge the president not to seek re-election—for the good of the party and most of all for the good of the country. And they must present the only clear alternative—Hillary Clinton. “

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203611404577041950781477944.html

even though I think the Republicans would have to have Jesus
to have any chance then of winning.

© Copyright 2011 John Pawlik - All Rights Reserved
Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

1 posted 2011-11-29 10:55 AM

I think in many ways she would be a better candidate.  This may be one of the places where we find ourselves in agreement.  I think she may be a better practical politician.  Again, how much of an actual Democrat she is seems unclear to me; but I do believe she has a sense of social justice and a sense of practical economics.

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

2 posted 2011-11-30 06:11 PM

President Obama is not very popular.  But the people that seem to be lining up to run against him seem to represent  the politics of a very small proportion of the voting population expressing more and more illogical social and economic points of view.  The more the available candidates make statements that play to the Republican base in order to get themselves nominated, the more they seem to me to be saying things that make them difficult to elect in the general election further down the line.

I must say that this is from the perspective of a liberal Democrat, my own prrspective, but I'm trying to adjust my comments somewhat as though President Obama was presenting  a more Liberal position than in fact he is, and suggesting that the Democratic Party is a more Liberal institution than in fact it is at present.

The Right wing attacks on collective bargaining, unions, wages and benefits and its open siding with the rich and powerful has been very bad, I believe, for the party over the past year or so.  I am not used to seeing the Republicans behaving in such an openly self-destructive fashion.  This doesn't mean that the Democrats will necessarily benefit from it.

What I do hope is that the two parties will actually start to talk to each other and make some deals that could possibly work out for the best for the country rather than as an attempt to block any sort of a win for the other party at the expense of the country.  I would find that bracing indeed.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
3 posted 2011-12-01 03:12 PM

Obama is still the best choice.  I don't see any likelihood of anyone else being elected.  
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Never Happen

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary