navwin » Discussion » The Alley » How things Work
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic How things Work Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA

0 posted 2011-11-02 12:31 PM

Bank of America backs down on $5 debit card fee

Bank of America Corp. is scrapping its plan to charge a $5 monthly fee for debit card purchases after outraged customers threatened an exodus.
The about-face comes as customers across the country petitioned the bank and mobilized to close their accounts in favor of credit unions and community banks. The outcry prompted other major banks, including JPMorgan Chase & Co. and Wells Fargo & Co., to cancel trial tests of their own debit card fees.
Bank of America, the nation's second largest bank, said it reversed course after listening to customers. http://news.yahoo.com/bank-america-backs-down-5-debit-card-fee-211630432.html

That's the way it's supposed to be...by the consumers, not government edit or decree. Take note, Washington.

© Copyright 2011 Michael Mack - All Rights Reserved
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
1 posted 2011-11-02 01:02 AM

Anybody want some snakeoil?
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
2 posted 2011-11-02 07:20 AM

Please explain your comment, LR.
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2011-11-02 11:46 AM

Had a client come in today requesting a bank authorization change form...when we told her that BofA had changed its mind, she did, too.

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

4 posted 2011-11-02 05:07 PM

And yet when we get fairly large protests about the way the system is being run overall, critiques of the banks anbd financial institutions that should provoke even greater changes the comments that Mike makes here — and I think makes sincerely — take on a very different tone.  I believe that the principle is much the same.  The difference is that the criticism being made is much more fundamental and would require roll backs in some of the laws that the banking industry and the financial industry has pushed for since perhaps the end of WWII.

These industries wanted these changes, I believe, enshrined in law to prevent them from being rolled back as a result of mere comsumer pressure.  The de-regulation of gas and electricity prices which gave us Enron and the deregulation of the S & L industry, which gave us the S&L scandal show us what the purposes of these deregulatory pressures are all about.  The rising tide of anger at the criminal activites the various business interests have been willing to engage in at the cost of the Public good has fallen on deaf ears.

I'm as happy as Mike is that this latest outrage has been at least temporarily halted.  It's long term promise of profits remains seductive for an industry that has indulged itself in an orgy of expensive consolidation which it must pay for.  I don't particularly want to pay for these banks to eat other banks, grow less competitive and raise my rates.  The prospect is unappealing, just as I was not thrilled at having to pay for Enron's speculative price inflation that cost California Billions which Callifornia is still stuck trying to pay.

We need some regulation to keep these folks from entirely killing off the American middle class and turning us into a nation of renters once again.  The regular citizens need some protection.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » How things Work

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary