navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Funemployment
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Funemployment Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan

0 posted 2011-09-23 09:37 PM

“Texas governor Rick Perry has pointed to job growth in Texas during the current economic downturn as one of his main accomplishments. But in a new report for the Center for Immigration Studies, based on data collected monthly by the Census Bureau, we found that newly arrived immigrants (legal and illegal) have been the primary beneficiaries of this growth between 2007 and 2011, not native-born workers . . .

What is so surprising about these numbers is that so much of the job growth in the state went to immigrants even though the native-born accounted for 69 percent of the growth in Texas’s working-age population (16 to 65). Put another way, even though natives made up most of the growth in potential workers, most of the job growth went to immigrants. As a result, the employment rate for natives — the share of working-age natives holding a job in the state — declined in a manner very similar to that seen in the rest of the country. This is an indication that the situation for native-born workers in Texas is very similar to that of the nation as a whole, despite the state’s job growth. . .

Some may still feel that less-educated immigrants who work at the bottom of the labor market are needed because we do not have enough of such workers among the native-born. It is true that 56.8 percent of newly arrived immigrants had no more than a high-school education. However, there are more than 3 million native-born workers in Texas who have no more than a high-school education. It’s also worth noting that four out of ten native-born working-age Americans have no education beyond high school. In Texas, between 2007 and 2011 the number of native-born Texans with a high-school diploma or less who were not working increased by 259,000, and their unemployment rate nearly doubled. It is very difficult to find evidence that less-educated workers were in short supply in the state.

It should also be remembered that many immigrants are more educated. In fact, 43.2 percent of newly arrived immigrants who took a job in Texas had at least some college. At the same time, the unemployment rate and employment rate for the native-born with at least some college both deteriorated significantly in Texas. It would be a mistake to assume that immigrants are only competing for jobs at the bottom end of the labor market. . . .”

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/278074/perry-s-ambiguous-employ    ment-record-steven-camarota?page=2

What if the key, (not only Texas), is:

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/funemployment.asp#axzz1YpUMeEba

© Copyright 2011 John Pawlik - All Rights Reserved
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
1 posted 2011-09-23 10:11 PM

'Look at her your honor, she wanted it, dressed like that.'
blame the victim.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/

from the 5:10 mark.

Your 'job creators' aren't.

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
2 posted 2011-09-24 06:34 AM

“funemployment  
To be unemployed and collecting unemployment, welfare, SSI or other means of income from government. This is especially true if you are on unemployment, and obtaining benefits with no desire to try and find a new job. Instead, the time is used to do other things, like travel, chill, etc.”

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=funemployment

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
3 posted 2011-09-24 06:49 AM

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/curmudgeon

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
4 posted 2011-09-24 08:33 AM

I see nothing in the thread which would relate to that word, LR. Is it suppose to relate to Huan? If not, then what?
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
5 posted 2011-09-24 09:06 AM

A Texas businessman once asked a question:  “When’s the last time
you saw an Hispanic panhandler?”

I’ve spent most of my career in manufacturing.  The demographics of the shop floor
in the late twentieth century and now are much different from what it was in 1980.
In Rhode Island, where the immigration population was sparse and during a time
of local recession, we had trouble filling jobs, (which required some small ability to
read a diagram), on the floor;  what few were coming in could, beyond their own names,
hardly fill out an application.   At the same time we had a department that did non-
destructive testing that was staffed by men who preferred short term employment
that lasted just long enough to qualify them for unemployment benefits.  This was
twenty years ago.

The term “funemployment “  is of recent coinage.  I didn’t make it up . . .
Anyone thinking in an environment of 99 weeks of unemployment benefits
it doesn’t have some applicability is in denial

[This message has been edited by Huan Yi (09-24-2011 09:50 AM).]

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
6 posted 2011-09-24 02:07 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/29/nyregion/29benefits.html
http://unemploymenthandbook.com/unemployment-articles/all-about-unemployment/115-what-you-need-to-know-about-fraud-and-unemployment-benefits

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

7 posted 2011-09-24 05:59 PM

So, basically, you're saying that the immigrants are paying into the unemployment insurance pool, and into the tax pool at a time when the now unemployed Texans can't.  They have managed to get jobs that the regular Texans haven't been able to get for one reason or another — the wages may be too low, the benefits may be too low, the hours may be too bad, the working conditions may be too foul.  They are, as a result, supporting their fellow Texans, keeping the schools and hospitals and other services running.

The locals know that these jobs are wretched and won't for one reason or another, take them themselves, otherwise, I suspect, they would already have had them unless for some reason the folks offering the jobs have a preference for immigrants.

What would be the reasons for such a preference, John, and why wouldn't those folks who are out of work be grateful that their safety net was being maintained by these out-of-state workers?  What's your thinking on this, and why are you upset by it?

Uncas
since 2010-07-30
Posts 408

8 posted 2011-09-24 06:19 PM

Does anyone believe the conclusions suggested in the original article - that the majority of the jobs created in Texas have been snapped up by immigrants?

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
9 posted 2011-09-24 07:33 PM

Are they in error, or if lying
to whose advantage?

http://cis.org/immigrants-filled-most-new-jobs-in-Texas

I imagine somebody in the Perry camp will be looking for an answer.

For the longest time we have heard, as a justification, that immigrants
took jobs the native born Americans didn’t want.  Another way of putting it
is that while most immigrants are looking for a job most native born Americans
are looking for the job.   With extended unemployment benefits native born
Americans are afforded that distinction.

What surprised me personally were the numbers among those with at least
some college which led to my speculation.

Be honest.   99 weeks changes the sense of urgency.

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
10 posted 2011-09-24 08:38 PM

It means the Bush wing isn't going to let Perry tag the nomination.  Look for someone Rove and Cheny(crumudgeon) can play with to jump into this thing - like the Gov of New Jersey.

John, if there are jobs for the 99ers to take then that means the Obama administration has created more jobs than , well, you seem to want to give him credit for.  So, which is it?  It amazes me what low regard you have for your countrymen.

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
11 posted 2011-09-24 08:45 PM

Perry's taking the credit.

There's a difference between
love and in love . . .

I’ll tell another true story.  I worked at a plant in Illinois that was
closed down in favor of a relocation by the acquiring corporation
to a vacant site they owned two hours drive away.   The acquiring
corporation offered re-employment at the new site to any of us
that wanted it; in fact much of their expected success relied on
most of us accepting.   Trouble was under the acquisition agreement
all my guys upon termination of employment would get a minimum
of three to six months severance which got doubled when the acquiring
corporation ran into difficulties during the initial stages of the transition.
To make the story short, the project crashed and burned because virtually
all of my people, (especially those with critical knowledge and skills), took
the money and waved the trucks taking the machinery away goodbye.
That’s people sitting in their comfy chairs getting hit by the real world.

Now 99 weeks offers something of the same choice; to look
for a  job in another distant location or sit and chill
until something attractive shows up where you already are.
Immigrants by definition, (and without those 99 weeks),
make the first choice . . .

[This message has been edited by Huan Yi (09-24-2011 09:20 PM).]

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
12 posted 2011-09-24 09:24 PM

Thats simple cost-benefit analysis John.  Of the 17 plants under my charge in North-America three were maquiladoras.  People are people.  They're all different.  They're all the same.  

Self identity though, in this country, is more tied to job and career.  It's not surprising that the so-called funemployed are claiming lemonade -- after all -- they might as well.  It beats jumping out of tall buildings.

Uncas
since 2010-07-30
Posts 408

13 posted 2011-09-24 10:21 PM

quote:
Are they in error, or if lying
to whose advantage?

They are in error and lying, and the advantage that the Center for Immigration Studies - an anti-immigration organisation - gets is, ironically, to stoke resentment among the unemployed in Texas. The very same unemployed folk that you're stoking resentment against using the very same article.

So how have those nice racists at the Center for Immigration Studies managed to fudge all the figures? Well it turns out that they got their data from census information and pure deduction (guessing to you and me) with a side order of fudge. They deduced that any immigrants on the census who claimed to be working was working in one of the newly created jobs. What they forgot to mention is the disparity between the officially created jobs and the number of people claiming to be working. Even without that disparity, which is easily explainable if you wanted to draw some valid conclusions, their figures wouldn't have given them the outcome they wanted if they hadn't used the three months when the bulk of the 200,000 migrant workers happened to be in Texas.

Even without all that common sense tells you that they're talking BS, if 81% of the newly created jobs were taken by newly arrived immigrants how come the unemployment figures don't look a whole lot worse? I mean if private companies in Texas are laying people off, which they are, and none of those laid off people are getting jobs wouldn't you expect Texas to be have worse unemployment figures than everywhere else not better, as is claimed?

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

14 posted 2011-09-25 02:45 AM

Jeeze, Uncas, you're letting facts get in the way of political rhetoric.  Where's your spirit?  I wish I'd taken the time to sit down and think the think through.  I'd feel less foolish now.

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
15 posted 2011-09-25 10:36 AM

"Self identity though, in this country, is more tied to job and career."

But much less so than it was in 1950 or 1970 . . .

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
16 posted 2011-09-25 10:38 AM

Sometimes you guys irritate me....

and unless you or your spouse are one of the unemployed I think you shouldn't lump everyone together!

My husband was let go  when after he left his own company  ten years or so ago (during the first  recession of no building  going on, for a friend's business to help out because of his expert knowledge) and when the economy started to decline again, he was let go and they kept all the immigrants who aren't living here permanently but just during the season for landscaping needs...and weren't salaried.

He was let go unfairly,( was told he quit by the owner and so-called friend) had to appeal it which took weeks and then was told he would be getting his unemployment  as long as he was searching for a job  and reporting it online, going to job shops etc... which he did. The state of MD  has ended his recently and told him that they don't honor the 99 weeks....so  that isn't true for everyone...and  between all the eastcoast storms, earthquake, rains and continued housing decline and repossessions (nothing is being built that needs the landscaping or concrete work)  he still hasn't found permanent work.

You also have to look at age ( he is 65) where whether you want to believe it or not there is age discrimination. And  maybe immigrants, illegal and legal  may not mind moving around the country...but for someone who is settled and has a home and family and can't uproot that easily...why would they pick up  and move  when nothing is guaranteed?

Try living on unemployment..whether for 15 weeks or 99...it isn't the amount you think it is and...you still pay taxes!

And for all those against unemployment ...we pay for that every paycheck ( just as  we do for social security) and my husband  worked for over  45 years of his life paying into it without ever making a claim ...is a Viet nam veteran who never got that respect  either...so I am ashamed of those of you who think  so poorly of those who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own...

If you want to pick on  something our govt  does, try  the welfare that is given to people who  sit at home  having one child after another, never marrying, having different fathers for each child who don't pay child support and  adding  ZERO to our economy!  Or those who  sell their welfare checks to spend on unnecessary things instead of its purpose ...

or even and I know this will get people mad at me, but  illegal immigrants who are here  and having child after child flooding our school systems, don't speak any english, making the schools having to have ESOL programs and interpreters and social workers  etc...all at a cost to the taxpayer.

now that I have shot myself in the foot I will take leave....

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
17 posted 2011-09-25 11:39 AM

As I’ve mentioned before, my parents were Polish immigrants,
with no more than a fourth grade education, who having
survived Hitler came to this country from Germany with me
in their arms.  They landed in Michigan from where my father
within two weeks went to Indiana and got a job in the steel mills
of Gary, ( bringing my mother, who then got a job in a sock factory,
and I down shortly thereafter).   It is a family story that my father
to save money a little longer tied up his work shoes which were
falling apart with banding wire.  He owned one suit.  I can go on
but by now you get the drift.  Having saved enough money for a
substantial down payment, they bought their first house, ( a thirty
year old bungalow), when I was eight.  In succeeding years the
family moved to new brick houses in the area.  They did,
(which usually involved not doing), what was necessary to live
and have money in the bank to weather the storms, ( strikes, lay-offs,
etc.) and to be able to retire at 62 without worrying about their next
meal.  I am my father’s son.  I grew up in a world surrounded by
such people, and though they come from different parts of the
world I am surrounded by them now.

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
18 posted 2011-09-25 12:02 PM

My grandparents did the same John,  but it is a different world today and although I have made sure  our mortgage is paid off and we  have no credit cards expecting this economy to slow down, I (we)can make it on the little I have saved over the years, too.

But there are many who can't...due to many factors including the banks and wall street and our govt  paying stimulus to those big companies who gave themselves  bonuses instead of helping those who do all the work or allowing the loans to help build the economy and are sitting on the money.

And what about all the outsourcing?  just last week I couldn't get my computer  to go online and had to call AOL. Guess where  it called? India..now how can he tell me if the lines were down in York, Pa? due to the heavy rains... and hurricane? I am tired of talking to  people with fake American names who know nothing about this country nor how to help.

I really feel for where this country is heading. Keep the jobs here!!

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

19 posted 2011-09-25 06:39 PM

I'm very sorry about your difficulty, N.T., and your husband's.  I don''t feel comfortable seeing people blamed for what the economy does.  I'm very sorry about your husband's friend, as well, who was probabably trying to save his business and help his own family.  That's still a rotten reason to stab a friend in the back with a lie like that.

I guess I'd like to simply leave politics out of it when I run across a story like yours.  And yes, age can have a lot to do with hiring.  All my best to you and your husband.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
20 posted 2011-09-25 06:48 PM

Maureen, you will never shoot yourself in the foot here. You and your toes are always welcome
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Funemployment

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary