navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Stats that might shatter stereotypes
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Stats that might shatter stereotypes Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee

0 posted 2010-09-10 08:47 AM

My Sis lives in Greeneville, TN. She's got a friend in law enforcement who just did an article on the crime rates in this little town. It's not published, yet, but the info he's sharing is shocking to us country folk. The crime stats are even higher, to date, and they are suggesting that the crime rate is the worst in the U.S. per pop. stats!!

Here's a graph that will clue you in:

Greeneville Profile

Near even split on gender.

Most predominantly white on race.

Median age= 41

Robbery, assault, and property crimes are over the top.

unemployment rate: 15.5% Which is wild, compared to a 9.8%, statewide-BLS stat for 2010. But the crime rates were high even when the unemployment rates were low.

Also, minding that Greeneville is a comfortable drive to Johnson City, Kingsport & Bristol, and Knoxville is a bit of a commute, but jobs are out there.

Who needs a job if ya can take what you want?? Dunno, but Greeneville is a deceivingly quaint little town, clean, beautiful rolling hills, parks, fine dining & lots of ma & pa shops, restaurants, services, great schools, heavy folds of old money & history, and there's not really a rundown section or area to speak of.

Just makes me say Hmmmm!! And, thankfully, my hubby is in the security business!!

© Copyright 2010 Regina Wood - All Rights Reserved
Juju
Member Elite
since 2003-12-29
Posts 3429
In your dreams
1 posted 2010-09-10 11:27 AM

Actually, that is quite common, until you get in the big cities.  I think the culprit is not gender, race, or culture, but in fact drug abuse(including liquor). In cities, even though there is many kinds of people in one place there is also a higher percentage of accessibility to drugs.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if 85% or more of people incarcerated have drug related problems. The rest may be explained by gambling (another addictive behavior)

Great thought!

Juju  

-Juju

-"So you found a girl
Who thinks really deep thoughts
What's so amazing about really deep thoughts " Silent all these Years, Tori Amos

Tim
since 1999-06-08
Posts 1794

2 posted 2010-09-11 10:48 AM

I do not dispute crime is present in rural and small town America, it is.  
As juju indicated, substance abuse is a prime contributing factor. Meth and alcohol are factors in an overwhelming majority of crimes.
On the other side, crime statistics are among the most easily manipulated.
An aggravated assault in small town America is a disorderly conduct in a metropolitan area, if it is even reported.
The line between a robbery or misdemeanor theft is often a matter of interpretation.
Crimes that considered major in a small town will not even be reported in a large city or even in next small town.
Bottom line, crime is a problem everywhere, but if I had my druthers, I would still take a small town over a big city if you were looking to avoid becoming a victim of a crime.

rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
3 posted 2010-09-13 08:03 AM

Hi Juju~ Yes, I would agree that illegal substance & alcohol abuse are a huge influence in the crime roles in every town. Not much gambling round these parts, though, unless you head 3 hours straight up the mountain to Cherokee. No fun feeding slot machines for petty payoffs. So yeah, if someone did have a gambling addiction they'd get a better payoff thieving in the valley.

My Sis' home (her garage) has been broken into for the forth time. Most recently, the thieves were thwarted by a 110 pound Rottweiler & a 80lb. deceivingly sweet Siberian husky. The Siberian (surprise) attacked and ran the thief off, and the cops tried to ticket Sis because the Rotti ran loose! She appealed the notion and won, but what a lose/lose/loose thing, aye.

Tim~ Too, true. Sadly. A great point. And yes, I've had my share of big city experiences and this gal is staying put in the sticks. But there really was a time, not so long ago, that no one locked their doors in these rural communities. Now? Some people have paid more for their security gates/surveillance/and alarm systems than I've paid for my entire house. It just doesn't seem fair to say that the skid-row regions of the world breed society's problems and the stereotypes in our minds don't fit anymore. We've got a "Busted" circular that sells out each week, here around town. Many families are hurt by the plastering of a beloved face they know shouldn't be in that paper if a fine "raising" was really all it took to keep a citizen from going into a life of crime.

Thanks for the input

Juju
Member Elite
since 2003-12-29
Posts 3429
In your dreams
4 posted 2010-09-13 02:29 PM

Well, I also think that there is simply more jobs for younger people.

When the economy fell down the toilet and we got bailed out per say, the kind of jobs that were created were for young men. Construction.

You got forty year old men who don't qualify for these positions and are left to find some way to provide for their family. Lost or what ever they get into drugs and well drugs have a way of blurring the line between right and wrong.

As for the dogs.  I believe it.  Though if they wouldn't of ran off and tried to enter the house the rottweiler maybe would have attacked.  

But just to scare yah, why do you think the rottweiler didn't attack? I bet you will figure out who tried to break in the house by who the dogs don't like.  

-Juju

-"So you found a girl
Who thinks really deep thoughts
What's so amazing about really deep thoughts " Silent all these Years, Tori Amos

rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
5 posted 2010-09-13 03:53 PM

You could be on to something very true about the older generation joblessness issues, Juju. Hard labor jobs are tough and they are the ones hiring the most around here, too.

Her Rotti didn't attack because he was "distracted," by a much more interesting conquest: The neighbor's female Labrador mix. LOL. May be some pretty pups in about 8 weeks. Which, ya know? It's probably a good thing because he could take a person's leg off. I don't really wish that on anyone.

And I think her Siberian could pick the thief out. She's so keen and vigilant.  

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Stats that might shatter stereotypes

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary