navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Welcome to Wacky World!!!
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Welcome to Wacky World!!! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA

0 posted 2010-04-14 07:29 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100414/ts_ynews/ynews_ts1615

So Burger KIng can't say the King is crazy because it appals the mental health industry, A perfume company can't use a noose because it brings back memories of lynchings, and Tiger's dad's words can't be used, no different than other ads showing old, dead movie stars appearing to be talking about products of today.

Get over it, people

© Copyright 2010 Michael Mack - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2010-04-14 07:42 PM

Some things just don't make sense.

Have you heard about Steven Seagal?

Yup, sued for sexual harassment, his show has been suspended pending more information, too.

I mean, I just don't understand this...I've seen the picture of his accuser, and she's okay, but I mean, there are a LOT, and I do mean a LOT of alternatives that he could have um, utilized? SOMETHING WRONG WITH A HARD-WORKING LOCAL GIRL? tsk...and a lot of 'em would have given him a discount at the very least.

I mean, Lafitte is lovely this time of year--although I personally do not find The Lawman attractive, his house is fantastic!!!

Nope. That story just doesn't add up, and if it turns out to be true, well hey? They call ME crazy? Pay for it upfront, Lawman.

Cheaper in the long run, although that's still a crime here, too.

Shouldn't be though. But it is.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

2 posted 2010-04-14 08:01 PM

Well, now, call me crazy too, Karen, 'cause I totally get what you're saying about the legalization of prostitution. Forget that it's gonna go on anyway, and that it could be regulated and such, as proven by Nevada, but since I see that you're very much into Farmville, that's a good analogy.

It's a wacky world indeed when a woman can rent out her uterus but not the rest of her body. That is like telling someone, "OH, I see you're having a problem with your land. I happen to have some prime real estate that I can rent out to you, but? You have to find a way to plant the seed without utilizing the only tunnel that grants access to the land.

Yep, a wacky world indeed.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

3 posted 2010-04-14 08:02 PM

EGGS-act-ly!

Where have you been all of my life?

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

4 posted 2010-04-14 08:03 PM

It's a long story.

I'm afraid you'll have to buy the book.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
5 posted 2010-04-14 09:19 PM

NEW YORK – Stephenie Meyer, the hottest author for young people since J.K. Rowling, has a new link to the creator of "Harry Potter": a place high on the list of books  most complained about by parents and educators.

Meyer's multimillion-selling "Twilight" series was ranked No. 5 on the annual report of "challenged books" released Wednesday by the American Library Association. Meyer's stories of vampires and teen romance have been criticized for sexual content; a library association official also thinks that the "Twilight" series reflects general unease about supernatural stories.

Topping the 2009 chart was Lauren Myracle's "IM" series, novels told through instant messages that have been criticized for nudity, language and drug references. Last year's No. 1 book, "And Tango Makes Three," by Peter Parnell  and Justin Richardson, is now No. 2, cited again for its story about two male penguins adopting a baby. Third was Stephen Chbosky's "The Perks of Being a Wallflower," for which the many reasons include drugs, suicide, homosexuality and being antifamily.

Also cited were such perennials as J.D. Salinger's "The Catcher in the Rye" (sexual content, language), Harper Lee's "To Kill a Mockingbird" (language, racism), Alice Walker's "The Color Purple" (sexual content, language) and Robert Cormier's "The Chocolate War" (nudity, language, sexual content).
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100414/ap_on_en_ot/us_challenged_books

Go figure. To Kill a Mockingbird, one of the most loved books and movies of all times,  unsiutable for reading. Tell me Gregory Peck is not turning over in his grave.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

6 posted 2010-04-15 03:02 AM

Honestly, I don't know who they think they are protecting--nor do I understand what they think they are protecting them from. (God I love the split infinitive...)

DATELINE

(I forget) True story as told to me by strangers. We're grousing about the parental challenges of teen-agers, and honestly, no, I don't have much to complain about--'cause the woman (yes, at the bar) looked at me and confided:

"My kid got ready for a date last weekend." (The time period of the story was not after Easter, nor was it after Halloween. <--This information comes in to play further into the anecdote.)

The woman sighed and told me that her son stomped down the stairs dressed like some sort of stuffed animal--she wasn't sure what, but he had big furry feet, a brown nose, whiskers, and? (The interesting part) There were strategic holes, zippers, and velcro straps in the costume. While some were placed in strictly utilitarian areas (she wanted to think) others were definitely cause for suspicion, so she proceeded to question her son's choice of attire. She said he stood there before her, dressed up like a sexually morphed Bugs Bunny Fox and told her,

"Mother? GROW UP."

Wacky world? You betcha.

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
7 posted 2010-04-15 07:07 PM

I actually got into a "discussion" with someone who was trying to ban a number of DISNEY movies as being unacceptable for children, as well as trying to get Barney taken off the air.
I was with her on the Purple One, but the MOUSE?

Her hassle with the dinosaur was that he taught the kids to believe that magic would bring about the good things in their lives, and not the deity to which this chick was in love with.
Ditto Mary Poppins
Ditto Fanstasia
Ditto Alladin
Ditto others

Other challenges with Mary Poppins:
The children could see up her skirt as she flew over head
The children were taught to respect and obey the nanny and not the parents
The children were being taught that it is perfectly acceptable to climb onto the roofs and skip and sing

Lady and the Tramp was a no-go because of the threat of *lean forward and whisper* beastiality. *sit back and nod knowingly.* It seems that the protagonist and the antagonist are caught kissing while on a date.

Snow White had a single woman living in sin with 7 men to whom she was not married (God, I hope not.. that would be a bit much for any woman to handle.)

There were many more; however, I fell into a stupor somewhere near around this point of the conversation.

Actually, I went home and stood myself in the corner for an hour because I allowed myself to get caught up in this at all.

The only thing I see wrong is that people are so screwed up in their own heads that they are seeing this garbage where the kids aren't... perhaps the 60's were just a bit too good to them?

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "WHAT A RIDE

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

8 posted 2010-04-16 12:01 PM

That could be Ringo!
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
9 posted 2010-04-16 06:20 AM

/main/forumdisplay.cgi?action=displayarchive&number=69&topic=003015
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
10 posted 2010-04-16 06:36 AM

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Minority Republican lawmakers sponsored a resolution this week honoring the 100-year anniversary of the Boy Scouts. This being California, the political equivalent of a school-yard brawl broke out.

Democrats ultimately killed the resolution after criticizing the Boy Scouts for excluding homosexuals. Predictably, Republicans became indignant and accused Democrats of defaming a cherished American institution.

It didn't end there.

Democrats had introduced a resolution of their own honoring the Girl Scouts and included language that noted the organization does not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation.

That drew yet more indignation from Republicans, with one GOP lawmaker accusing Democrats of improperly introducing sexuality into what should have been innocent proclamations of support for the two iconic youth groups.

"I would love to honor the Girl Scouts," said Assemblywoman Diane Harkey, R-Laguna Niguel. "I just don't understand why this chamber wants to sexualize children."

The Boy Scout brouhaha started in the Assembly Judiciary Committee on Tuesday. After Republicans introduced the anniversary resolution, some Democratic lawmakers equated the Boy Scouts' policy of excluding gays with racism.

In the end, California honored the Girl Scouts but not the Boy Scouts — which issued a statement saying it appreciated the effort.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
11 posted 2010-04-16 08:01 AM

I wouldn't suggest that this happens all that much.  There is a lot of freedom for the media, especially advertising and even cartoons today, with obnoxious manners and violence.  Most of it does seem to get by, with or without issues.  

In any case, we shouldn't expect not to find a few complaints or responses to complaints, that we don't agree with.

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
12 posted 2010-04-16 08:17 AM

Mike,
That reminds me of the "Yo quiero Taco Bell" commercial that ONE Latino organization complained about... I have mant hispanic friends who thought that was a funny commercial.

I am eagerly awaiting the day when the pendulum swings the other direction, and people are allowed to have free speech, free thought, and freedom of expression

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "WHAT A RIDE

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
13 posted 2010-04-16 08:25 AM

In any case, we shouldn't expect not to find a few complaints or responses to complaints, that we don't agree with

True enough, ess. The thing is not in finding them but finding others, like government agencies, school boards and like like giving credence to them.

Ringo, your time would be better spent "eagerly" awaiting the colonization of Saturn!

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
14 posted 2010-04-16 09:02 AM

An example, Ess, is the federal judge this morning declaring the National Day of Prayer, enacted in 1952, unconstitutional.
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
15 posted 2010-04-16 07:45 PM

Well, what was his reasoning/basis for declaring it "unconstitutional"?
Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

16 posted 2010-04-16 08:00 PM

And why would you assume that it should be constitutional, Mike?  There are some folks who find the very notion of religion seriously annoying, and the notion of having a particular day "devoted" to it, especially among the athiests, would raise as much objection as having National Satan Day would among the various more conventional folks.

There's at least a good case to be made for its being unconstitutional, whether it is or not.  Condemning the notion as wacky out of hand doesn't work so well; it actually does require some consideration.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
17 posted 2010-04-16 08:30 PM

Well, it has been acceptable for over half a century, Bob, and it's not a day requiring people to pray. No one is required to pray at all. Yes, you are right. Atheists could find it distasteful. Why? I have no idea. They are not required to do anything. Your response is one of the reason why it's Wacky World. A microscopic portion of the population are against it and therefore it's rescinded....wackiness, in spades.
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
18 posted 2010-04-16 10:34 PM

The judge sounds like a real Crabb  
Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

19 posted 2010-04-16 11:38 PM

The constitution is, at least in part, about supporting the wacky folks against the tyrany of the majority.  We're supposed to find a way of getting along together.  It doesn't have to be quiet, mind you.  But objecting to National Prayer Day is something that might actually be unconstiutional, despite 50 years of acceptance.  How long was slavery considered constitutional?  Longer than 50 years, he said, reminding Mike of one of the big examples in American History.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Welcome to Wacky World!!!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary