navwin » Discussion » The Alley » That Pesky Tenth Amendment
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic That Pesky Tenth Amendment Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA

0 posted 2010-03-30 09:01 AM

The 10th amendment to the US Constitution states:
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

As of March 2010[update], 30 states have introduced legislation which would declare certain provisions of any proposed national health care bill to be null and void within the state; the legislation passed in Arizona, Idaho, Utah, and Virginia.[11]  Such provisions include mandatory participation in such a system as well as preserving the right of a patient to pay a health care professional for treatment (and for the professional to accept it) outside of a single-payer system. Arizona's legislation passed as a proposed constitutional amendment, to be submitted to the voters in 2010.[12]  On February 1, 2010, the Virginia Senate took a stand against a key provision of a proposed federal health care overhaul, passing legislation declaring that Virginia residents cannot be forced to buy health insurance. On March 17, 2010, the Governor of Idaho signed a bill requiring the Attorney General to sue the Federal Government if Idaho residents are required to buy health insurance.[13] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

© Copyright 2010 Michael Mack - All Rights Reserved
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

1 posted 2010-03-30 01:38 PM

What would the government do all day if it weren't busy shredding the Constitution? Maybe something actually in the best interests of the people? That would be refreshing!
Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
2 posted 2010-03-30 02:28 PM

quote:
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

So if the people use their power to ask the Government to supply universal health care that’s ok, right?

Why not have a referendum – ask the people if they want Medicare, Medicaid and VA health care etc. – if they don’t then scrap them.

End of problem.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
3 posted 2010-03-30 07:55 PM

The majority of the people  do NOT want the universal health care.

I would be interested in seeing their vote on the others....but I never will.

DO you contend that forcing people to buy health insurance is not aagainst this amendment?

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 2010-03-30 11:33 PM

"So if the people use their power to ask the Government to supply universal health care that’s ok, right?" [Grinch]

"The majority of the people do NOT want the universal health care." [Emphasis added, KRJ] [Balladeer]

What is against the amendment is telling people what they should do... and not giving them options...like opting out. I've heard tell of having to pay "penalties" for not taking up certain health insurances. WHAT? Being taxed/penalized for what you don't want???

That's a bunch of diddlypoo.

We are rapidly losing the government that once wanted to watch over our people from foreign infrastructures that would only condone a harmful takeover...

and for some reason, we are even more rapidly losing that best interest.

While I will not condone some of the actions taken by some of the disgruntled, there has to be a reasonable means by which our United States of America can once again come together under its flag.

But that's just me. I opt to work WITH my friends AND enemies the best I can. It is the enemies who won't work with me...and others...that is at the core of the destruction of our United States.

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

5 posted 2010-03-31 01:01 AM

At what point did we get universal Health care?  Wow!  There must have been a couple of years missing for me after I went to sleep following the 2010 health insurance reforms.  When did we wake up and realize that we really needed what the vets and the elderly had within reach already!  What was the guy responsible for that legislation?  I want to write a note and thank him or her!

The VA and the Medicare have proven so universally popular that it was like touching the third rail in politics toi threaten them, if you'll remember, and now that some genius got Universal Health care passed, I'll bet people feel the same way about that, too.  Don't you remember how people screamed and shouted about Medicare before the Democrats got that passed?  The Republicans said all those terrible things about it, and how it was communism and stuff like that!  Now, it's one of the most well respected programs the government has!  Imagine, Now we have Universal Health Care!

Those Republicans must have really changed their tune then, because I would have sworn that they really wouldn't have given health care to anybody, even if you held a gun to the heads of the sweet old Republican Mamas.  I mean until you get the bill passed of course, and people start talking about how wonderful it is.  Then they grit their teeth and smile.

So tell me, when did they actually pass this Big Universal Health Care bill you were talking about, the one that probably had all those provisions that the Republicans kept out of the Insurance reform bill in 2010?  Denise?  Mike?  When was it passed, huh?

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
6 posted 2010-03-31 08:51 AM

Bob, you must have taken a wrong turn. I see nothing in your reply that has anything to do with the tenth amendment, the topic of the thread. If you do, please point it out.
Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

7 posted 2010-03-31 09:20 AM

You say that the thread is about the 10th ammendment, but your language has to do with legislation about a bill that is non-existant, a national health care bill, Mike.  You may wish to confine people's comments to favorable reviews of the Republican attempt to characterize the current legislation as National Health Care Legislation, but you are actually trying to cut off debate on whether the Republican move is a propaganda ploy or not.  You may certainly try to do that, but not without my commenting on that, and not without me pointing out that you are not attempting to open discussion but to limit it.

This I have just done.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
8 posted 2010-03-31 10:24 AM

Bob, you DID take a wrong turn. My original post listed the tenth amendment and the actions taken by states with regards to it. I asked for no Republican applause nor did I show any desire to stifle debate. The inferred question is simple...do provisions in the health chare bill, such as forcing citizens to buy their own health insurance, agree with the tenth amendment or not. It's really a simple question for those wishing to give their opinion on it. There is no need to take side roads to avoid it.
Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

9 posted 2010-03-31 07:00 PM

I would have sworn I heard a "Did Not!" in there, Mike.

"Did Too, Smartie!"  I don't care if your dad is bigger than my dad.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » That Pesky Tenth Amendment

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary