navwin » Discussion » The Alley » A Profound Statement From An Unexpected Source
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic A Profound Statement From An Unexpected Source Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
threadbear
since 2008-07-10
Posts 817
Indy

0 posted 2010-02-19 02:02 AM

Perhaps you are like me: you're tired of the ad hominems, the platitudes, the holding of a political party above values.  Last night I heard on Sean Hannity, Bob Beckel's brother: Graham Beckel.  Bob is a straightup liberal, while his brother is an actor and a moderate conservative.  Graham really pinned it, describing why people have some problems with liberals and Obama.  He said something that should be logged SOMEWHERE for posterity.  Tell me if you don't agree with this:

" The everyman out there, right now, who doesn't have an allegiance on either side,
is saying:  'What the Hell are you doing with liberty?"    
Why is there no reflection from the President of the United States on this very simple notion of people's liberty?  
Why is it all about the Collective?
Why is it all about stuff that is the idea of some think tank out there?
Why not let the people fend for themselves and create for themselves?
Why is it you {liberals} insist on making decisions for people?
At this point, it's becoming dangerously oppressive.
The rhetoric coming out of the left, at this point, actually, is silly.  But the continued attempts at this stuff ... people resent it!  and I don't blame them for resenting it because it's not helpful to people's true aspirations.
People right now need to be encouraged - they need to be uplifted.  They don't need a whole bunch of 'collectivist' notions, that they can't relate to, which are so abstract, and yet they know it's going to hit them right in the pocketbook and it's going to limit their own choices in life. "

(Editors note: I transcribed this.  Apologies if an error was made.)

In this picture, Graham is on the left; Bob on the right.
Most people don't know who these guys are, so I posted the stillshot.
Feel free to delete it, Ron/Mike, if there any problems with it.

[This message has been edited by threadbear (02-19-2010 03:54 AM).]

© Copyright 2010 Jeff Feezle - All Rights Reserved
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
1 posted 2010-02-19 08:29 AM

Delete it? I'd like it printed on a T-shirt!

A call for individualism in this country seems to be a thing of the past. Encouraging people to be all they can be  falls into the same category. The qualities that made this country great are now qualities to be ashamed of, so it seems. The "good" is now designed to be for the collective. Accept that and let the government take care of you. That seems to be the rallying cry of the government.

Yes, I agree that the people are getting tired of it.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
2 posted 2010-02-26 08:24 PM

I saw this show, around 4:00 a.m. or so when I couldn't sleep.

I wondered then, why it wasn't seen
in the hours that need be.

The script, for the most part, is exactly how I remember it. My surprise was the toss of the coin, of the brothers who were on their own side.

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

3 posted 2010-02-26 09:21 PM

How did the other respond?

[This message has been edited by Bob K (02-27-2010 03:53 AM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » A Profound Statement From An Unexpected Source

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary