navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Health Care - Is Something Missing?
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Health Care - Is Something Missing? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!

0 posted 2010-01-26 08:48 PM

Is dental care part of the health care package?  I haven't heard it mentioned at all.  I have a health care provider and I am going to be paying extra for dental care.  I am able to pay this because I work and plan for what I need.  But in all the health care arguements and headlines, I see no consideration to dental care.

I think that's pretty interesting. Dental insurance is a hole in many of our insurance policies.  Dental problems are often the reason for a lot of health care issues.  However, insurance companies have been able to overlook providing adequate dental policies to a large population of Americans.

Alaska has dental costs that are sky high.  My next appointment will cost me $2000 and about $20 of that will come back to my pocket in insurance reimbursments.  I have a savings account.  I can pay for my dental bills.  Many people cannot.

I think that any healthcare package that ignores dental is merely a bandaid to quiet people into believeing that they are receiving something that will help them.  

If the government really wanted to reach the majority of people in this country, it would be looking at the dental issue.

In the meantime, I'll keep working, saving and paying for my teeth and insurance policy.  I am not expecting to receive anything from a governement sponsored healthcare.  If I were - I'd be looking at the dental policty.  I kind of think I wouldn't find it.

Alison

© Copyright 2010 Alison - All Rights Reserved
JenniferMaxwell
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2006-09-14
Posts 2423

1 posted 2010-02-06 12:16 PM

Dental care coverage for low income children is available through the CHIP Health Care Program.  Unfortunately that won’t help you, Alison, but it does indicate that dental care is recognized as being a necessary part of a federally funded healthcare program.

I don’t believe there are provisions for dental care in the current proposed healthcare legislation. But perhaps, as with the CHIP Program, it would be included at a later date.

Have you checked out private dental insurance for yourself? It’s not nearly as expensive as healthcare insurance.

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
2 posted 2010-02-06 01:11 AM

The single greatest thing anyone can do to improve their long-term health is to exercise regularly.

So how come the government isn't paying for our gym membership?

JenniferMaxwell
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2006-09-14
Posts 2423

3 posted 2010-02-06 01:31 AM

Perhaps gym membership WILL be included, if there's anything left after helping the uninsured pay for their cancer drugs.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Health Care - Is Something Missing?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary