navwin » Discussion » The Alley » At long last -- does this bring conservatives shame?
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic At long last -- does this bring conservatives shame? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia

0 posted 2010-01-14 09:05 PM

http://www.collegenews.com/index.php?/article/pat_robertson_rush_limbaugh_haiti_comments_draw_fire_0113200932657325/
© Copyright 2010 Local Rebel - All Rights Reserved
Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
1 posted 2010-01-14 11:13 PM

If Harry Reid said what he did, shall we admit its across the board?

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

2 posted 2010-01-15 01:54 AM

I'm sorry, Stephanos, are you suggesting there's some sort of equivalence here?  This is pretty much Robertson's M.O.  His comments on Katrina weren't very different, were they?  His suggestion for dealing with the President of Venezuela?  Assassination as a policy recommendation from a minister has more than a touch of evil to it from my perspective.  That's a moral call on my part; it also happens to be encouraging an illegal activity, since we really aren't supposed to do that sort of thing by law as part of United States policy since Ronald Reagan's time.

Is this really so hard?

Yes, it's very different.

One — and that would be Reid's — was a gaffe committed in the process of putting somebody forward for advancement.  The other — Robertson's — was an ill-intentioned attempt to suggest that natural disaster was punishment from God over a fabricated deal with the devil.  It was malicious and intended to do harm.  I will leave Mr. Limbaugh out of the discussion.  Mr. Robertson imputes God's ill will on those natural disasters that strike easy victims for him to disparage.  I recall him making no such imputation about the Floridian victims of Hurricane Andrew, for example.  Perhaps there are others that recall him making such comments and would care to bring them to my attention.  

Mr. Robertson has long since hopelessly confused Christianity and right wing Republican politics.  Haiti, containing some of the poorest of the poor, should surely be close to the heart of those who take their Christianity to heart.  Mr. Robertson has apparently found some hallucinatory fantasy about how the Haitians actually deserve this suffering.  He seeks to convince others that he is correct.  

I hope this doesn't cut into the relief efforts that should be flowing toward Haiti at this point.  That would indeed be adding injury to insult.  Mr. Robertson is simply not a nice man.

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
3 posted 2010-01-15 09:49 PM

quote:

Dear Pat Robertson,

I know that you know that all press is good press, so I appreciate the shout-out. And you make God look like a big mean bully who kicks people when they are down, so I'm all over that action. But when you say that Haiti has made a pact with me, it is totally humiliating. I may be evil incarnate, but I'm no welcher. The way you put it, making a deal with me leaves folks desperate and impoverished. Sure, in the afterlife, but when I strike bargains with people, they first get something here on earth -- glamour, beauty, talent, wealth, fame, glory, a golden fiddle. Those Haitians have nothing, and I mean nothing. And that was before the earthquake. Haven't you seen "Crossroads"? Or "Damn Yankees"? If I had a thing going with Haiti, there'd be lots of banks, skyscrapers, SUVs, exclusive night clubs, Botox -- that kind of thing. An 80 percent poverty rate is so not my style. Nothing against it -- I'm just saying: Not how I roll. You're doing great work, Pat, and I don't want to clip your wings -- just, come on, you're making me look bad. And not the good kind of bad. Keep blaming God. That's working. But leave me out of it, please. Or we may need to renegotiate your own contract.

Best,
Satan

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/4J1DjL/www.npr  .org/blogs/thetwo-way/2010/01/the_devil_writes_pat_robertson.html?ft=1&f=103943429/r:f
http://www.mtv.com/global/music/videos/popout/?id=1536069&vid=10096

quote:

But was there a pact with the devil? I would also note that the Haitian Revolution began in 1791, years before Napoleon took over France as Consul. Napoleon III didn’t come to power until 1848. So clearly Robertson is confused on the basic history. But I believe that Robertson is referring to the Bois Caïman Ceremony that in Haitian national mythology initiated the revolution. This was a Vodou ceremony and the following text is normally attributed to its leader, Boukman:

The god who created the earth; who created the sun that gives us light. The god who holds up the ocean; who makes the thunder roar. Our God who has ears to hear. You who are hidden in the clouds; who watch us from where you are. You see all that the white has made us suffer. The white man’s god asks him to commit crimes. But the god within us wants to do good. Our god, who is so good, so just, He orders us to revenge our wrongs. It’s He who will direct our arms and bring us the victory. It’s He who will assist us. We all should throw away the image of the white men’s god who is so pitiless. Listen to the voice for liberty that speaks in all our hearts.

If you were a white, Catholic French person or Haitian plantation owner, I can see why you would characterize this as a prayer offered “to the devil.” The black Haitians are postulating the existence of two Gods, one for the whites and one for the blacks. The whites regard the God they pray to as the one true God. So if the blacks are praying to some second god, and doing it with a Vodou ceremony, it stands to reason that they’re engaged in a satanic ritual of some sort.

But there’s no reason for 21st century Americans to accept this interpretation of the story. From the Haitian perspective, I think you’d say they were just praying to God for his assistance and asserting the justice of their cause. This is what pretty much everyone does before heading into battle.
http://yglesias.thinkprogress.org/archives/2010/01/did-haiti-form-a-pact-with-the-d  evil.php

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » At long last -- does this bring conservatives shame?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary