navwin » Discussion » The Alley » once again!!!!
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic once again!!!! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Falling rain
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2008-01-31
Posts 2178
Small town, Illinois

0 posted 2009-10-10 03:28 PM

Okay so this is gonna be about discrimination.

We all know of it. We all know what it feels like to be discriminated. (those who don't, your lucky) Sucks doesn't it? Others can change to place themselves outside the radar; others can't.

I can understand the feeling to think of someone else different or weird. But to act upon it and make those people miserable for being who they are? No, its wrong. Unjust to say the least. Why do it? And to those who are insecure enough to pick on others to make themselves seem flawless. It disgusting.  

Why do we hate things in which we can't understand?

If we took the time to understand, then we possibly could live together in peace. To me it sounds possible. To others it shall never be.

Reason why I'm posting this.. Well lemme start with a question.
What is love to you? Love is love. No matter how much it changes it still itself, right?

So no matter if you love men, women, both, transgendered, etc. is it still love?

love has been here for eternity. Why discriminate against people who follow one route or another?

(Now I'm no saint. I can't say I'm pure and innocent for I've done these things before. But I've seen the error of my ways and try to change.)

© Copyright 2009 Zach Booker-Scott - All Rights Reserved
Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
1 posted 2009-10-10 04:31 PM

Discriminate in which way?

People don't like other people for a whole bunch of different reasons, some more logical than others, that's normal; you can't force them to think differently. You could try persuasion but if that doesn't work there's not a lot you can do apart from following their lead and not liking them right back.

People should be free to think what they want to think.

The only point where I see a problem is when that dislike manifests itself in inappropriate acts of violence or intimidation or unwarranted attacks.

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
2 posted 2009-10-10 10:49 PM

Grinch,

right.

I was gonna ask Zack what is his definition of discrimination.  He already knows my views about homosexuality, though I think it would be difficult to make the case that I am discriminatory as most understand it.  

This might launch us into another discussion about the validity of "hate crime laws".  A bump on the head is a bump on the head.  Is it valid to make one crime worse than another based upon motives perceived in the light of popular sentiment or ideology?  

Stephen

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
3 posted 2009-10-11 05:31 AM

quote:
Is it valid to make one crime worse than another based upon motives perceived in the light of popular sentiment or ideology?

Yes and no.

The intent or motive is very important. The devoted husband who agrees to help end the life of his wife of 35 years isn't comparable to the drug-addicted son who bumps off his parents for the insurance. In both cases the motive should, and does, impact on the perceived seriousness of the crime, the option here is to segregate the two crimes by degree, which is where the problems start.

Once you accept that there are degrees of seriousness dependant on motive there's a natural tendency to sub-divide other crimes by degree of perceived seriousness. Hitting someone over the head is divided into hitting someone who deserved it and hitting someone who didn't. Both crimes result in a bump on the head but one is perceived more serious than the other based on the circumstances and motive. Once that move is made however you have in effect delegated judgement down the chain of the criminal justice system allowing the pre-judgment of seriousness away from where that judgement should reside - through due process.

In short crimes should be prosecuted based on the act but the seriousness should be based on motive and only be decided in court when considering mitigating circumstances before sentencing.

Hate crime = crime.

Falling rain
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2008-01-31
Posts 2178
Small town, Illinois
4 posted 2009-10-14 01:57 PM

Sorry I meant hate crime. (discrimination just kept popping in my head when posting. lol) Ya know like acts of violence towards a selected group?

-Zach

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » once again!!!!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary