navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Pythonesque
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Pythonesque Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan

0 posted 2009-06-28 04:01 PM

“In London, a Foreign Office spokeswoman, speaking on customary condition of anonymity, said any further harassment of British Embassy employees would be met with "a strong and united EU response." “

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,529297,00.html?test=latestnews

Stay tuned
Should be good . . .

© Copyright 2009 John Pawlik - All Rights Reserved
moonbeam
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

1 posted 2009-06-28 06:10 PM

Wow, Python has snaked to the colonies.
Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
2 posted 2009-06-28 06:12 PM

It won’t be good. It’ll be the same boring political chess game they’ve been playing for years – they throw out two of our diplomats on trumped up charges to ferment mistrust, largely for local consumption. Then we retaliate by booting out two of theirs to maintain a semblance of balance.

Trust me, they’ll be back sharing Ferrero Rocher at the Ambassadors ball by Christmas.

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

3 posted 2009-06-29 10:52 PM

When looking for your source, I found a reference to this article, also on Fox News:

"U.S. Officials: Iran Opposition Leader's Web Site Shut Down, Supporters 'Tortured' Into Confessions"

You may check it our it you wish.  Reference is made to the article in Huan Yi's reference, and the article itself is not very informative.

I quote it here to point out how Fox News has now placed the word "tortured" in brackets.

What possible reason might there be for printing such a headline and suggesting that one of the two major points of the headline may be false?  If they are printing a potential lie, why are they not saying so, and taking the word out of the headline?  Do they have conflicting sources that tell them different stories?  If so, why not print them both, and highlight the one they believe the more accurate by saying, "in our judgement, this seems to be the better information. . . "

I would like to offer an explanation that seems plausible to me.  That that "torture" that was applied to the Iranians in question was in fact the same sort of torture that the United States has applied to prisoners and detainees.  Fox News knows or suspects this and is caught in a trap of its own making.  When somebody else, especially somebody we dislike, does such a thing, they want to protest and call torture by its proper name and show proper outrage.  But they cannot do so because they have just spent years defending the same acts as being inconsequential when applied by the United States.

Hence the brackets around "torture."

Any thoughts?

Sincerely, Bob Kaven

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
4 posted 2009-06-29 11:24 PM

Curse those Fox news evildoers!!!!
Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

5 posted 2009-06-30 09:50 PM

I thought you enjoyed them, Mike, because of their fabulous "unbiased" reportage.  They always get to the "truth" of the matter.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Pythonesque

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary