navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Oh don't worry there not my kids
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Oh don't worry there not my kids Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Juju
Member Elite
since 2003-12-29
Posts 3429
In your dreams

0 posted 2009-05-07 11:08 PM

When children are hurt by non-family members, its usually by someone not to far away.   what kind of guy passed this judgment?  Someone with a jaded life.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30625892

© Copyright 2009 Juju - All Rights Reserved
Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

1 posted 2009-05-08 01:00 AM

Dear Juju,

On the assumption that you are attempting to ask a serious question here, I'll attempt a serious answer by offering a link.
http://aifs.gov.au/nch/pubs/sheets/rs7/rs7.pdf

This link was put together by The Australian Government, but the research includes not only Australian and English sources, but the better known U.S. researchers in the field.  The answer to your question about what kind of person decided that abusers were generally people not too far away were not people who were jaded, whatever you think that means in this context, but people who felt they needed to know.  By far the largest number and proportion of abusers are family members and friends of the family, then people who live nearby.  

What this means is that the crime is generally worse than we think it is because the betrayal is greater.  You really should check out the research and the articles involved before you jump to conclusions that we need to blame strangers for most of these things.  

What happens with strangers is horrible enough, and we need to protect our kids from it, you're right there.  But mostly it's from folks at home and around home that the danger comes.  Check out the facts, not the hype.  The actual facts are somewhat scarier.

Let me know what you think.  There's a lot of good research on the subject, and it pretty much agrees.

Sincerely, Bob Kaven

Juju
Member Elite
since 2003-12-29
Posts 3429
In your dreams
2 posted 2009-05-08 01:22 AM

Bob you may notice I said non family members.
Still I don't think they should be near areas were children get together.  Seriously speaking, child abusers should not be near children.  

Juju

-Juju

-"So you found a girl
Who thinks really deep thoughts
What's so amazing about really deep thoughts " Silent all these Years, Tori Amos

Dark Star
since 2008-02-20
Posts 392
Lost in your eyes
3 posted 2009-07-01 05:04 PM

you are totally right there sister. Damn, I dont tolerate those people. the stories you hear is disguesting about the abuse

Lana

Falling rain
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2008-01-31
Posts 2178
Small town, Illinois
4 posted 2009-07-02 08:56 PM

Its very disgusting! But what can you do? Abusers sometimes are hard to point out. Like a wolf in sheep's clothing. Who you think is good might have a darker side.  (I think that's the right saying) Yeah some cases are more obvious more then others but you get my point.

-Zach

Dark Star
since 2008-02-20
Posts 392
Lost in your eyes
5 posted 2009-07-09 12:13 PM

Yea, your right as well! You can't usually pick them out, which sucks

Lana

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
6 posted 2009-07-09 04:26 PM

Don't you post advertisements that a molester is living in your area down there?  Once one gets out of prison here, we get a flyer in our door, giving us his/her address, name, and all the information on the person. We have block watch up here in Canada, and not a playground here goes unsupervised.  I am now curious how you deal with released offenders? Block watch is a great thing - parents take turns at playgrounds, swimming pools, parks, etc. I agree what these people have done is hard for us to understand, and they can go two ways, reform, or commit the crime again.  Most do the latter.  I have found when they are released here, they keep on the move, because the dirt on their shoes never goes away.  That "flyer" follows them wherever they go fortunately.
Dark Star
since 2008-02-20
Posts 392
Lost in your eyes
7 posted 2009-07-14 10:37 PM

Mysteria, i'm right there with ya. I live there too as well. I have never gotten a flyer about a criminal. It's good to know that they are protected there.

Lana

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
8 posted 2009-07-15 12:04 PM

Sex offenders are required to register with the local law enforcement agency.  Anyone can look up the list to see who is on the registry.
http://www.megans-law.net/

Unfortunately though, the term 'sex offender' here doesn't differentiate between someone who rapes babies and a 17-year old dating a 15-year old that might go a little further than her parents want. Or -- just someone masturbating in a theater like Pee Wee Herman. Or someone streaking naked across a football field on a lark.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Oh don't worry there not my kids

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary