navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Kids get dog, news at 11:00
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Kids get dog, news at 11:00 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
Santa Monica, California, USA

0 posted 2009-04-12 02:55 PM

Well, at least the White House Doggie crisis was resolved with the gift of a hypo-allergenic Portuguese Water Spaniel. Front page stuff, by Gosh!

For a while there, I thought the media was going to continue concentrating on nothing but bad news -- the rising stock market, lowered home loan rates, a proposed bill to limit credit card excesses...

Actually the last one interests me.  Good ol' Capitol One -- which I could probably buy with my current credit line --  sent me a letter last week jovially informing me that my 8.5 percent interest rate would jump to 21.9 percent next year.  No, I've never missed a payment in six years and always paid more than the minimum due.  The letters basically said, "times are tough, so we are going to stick it to ya, buecause, under current rules, we can."

I will probably default on the card when the rate goes up, because, under current rules, I can.  Nothing personal, Capitol One, just a consequence of tough times.

Cheerfully anarchistic, Jimbeaux

© Copyright 2009 Jim Aitken - All Rights Reserved
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
1 posted 2009-04-12 04:41 PM

I understand this! They pulled a similar stunt on me several years ago, so I transferred the balance to a different card and told Cap1 to ...ahem...stick that rate increase somewhere else.
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

2 posted 2009-04-12 06:59 PM

A similar thing happened to me. Although I  was always early with my payments, never exceeded my credit limit and paid more than the minimum, I was notified by one of my creditors that my rates were going up to 17.99%. But it wasn't Capitol One. They flat out denied me credit entirely after I replied to their low interest offer for transferring balances a few months back. Despite my stellar credit rating they deemed me a risk due to my being at my current address for an insufficient amount of time.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Kids get dog, news at 11:00

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary