navwin » Discussion » The Alley » McCain
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic McCain Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea

0 posted 2008-10-10 08:13 PM

McCain
quote:
UPDATE: Indeed, he just snatched the microphone out the hands of a woman who began her question with, "I'm scared of Barack Obama... he's an Arab terrorist..."

"No, no ma'am," he interrupted. "He's a decent family man with whom I happen to have some disagreements."

Is some of that innate integrity finally starting to seep through that Rovian slime machine?

© Copyright 2008 Brad - All Rights Reserved
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
1 posted 2008-10-10 09:12 PM

It was a breath of fresh air seeing McCain come out today and tone the rhetoric down, because for the last several days something very ugly was filling the atmosphere at those rallies that goes well beyond disagreements, political opposition and resentment to the rivaling candidate...........there was something bordering on hatred at those rallies, which if not tempered soon could have led to acts of violence within those crowds, with random visitors screaming "Bomb Obama", "Terrorist!", "Kill Him!", "Treason!", "One Man Terror Cell!", etc...........and having McCain demonstrate real leadership and try to calm the rhetoric down while make his charges on Obama is something to be commended.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

2 posted 2008-10-10 10:22 PM

Since nobody else is gonna say it, I guess the burnt out stoner chick will (with warmest hugs and regards to Noah's return)

"No ma'am. He's not an Arab. He's a decent family man."

I hardly call that NOBLE.

I'm embarrassed and apologize to my Arab-American friends (especially the one who offered me a JOB)

sheesh

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
3 posted 2008-10-10 10:26 PM

"Of course, this is kind of the best of both world: Crazy base-world gets to bring up Ayers and whatever else, really, and he gets to say, "Be respectful." But I think he means it."

He always has . . .
Why pretend a sudden change?

"No ma'am. He's not an Arab. He's a decent family man."

Where does this quote come from, and regardless
do you really think he was taking shots at Arabs?

It's amazing in contrast to all the free passes
Barack Obama gets.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

4 posted 2008-10-10 11:03 PM

It came from the horse's mouth, John.

I'd tell you what channel I was watching, but it doesn't seem to matter.

It was on all of 'em...

exit burnt out stoner chick---->

I'm done now.   (The footage I saw had him say, "He's not an Arab" after removing the microphone from the hands of a woman--red shirt--grayish hair...I only saw her from the back, but I distinctly saw McCain shake his head and correct her--"He's not an Arab." )

Spin away, John.

This entire episode made me very sad, not happy.

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
5 posted 2008-10-10 11:56 PM

Karen,

I think McCain was opposing the idea that Obama's political loyalties lie elsewhere (which was obviously the story this woman was believing) rather than opposing a mere ethnic slur.  The word "Arab" was in her mouth, not McCain's, though you might say it was implied.  His immediate concern was to politically and personally defend Obama, not to make sure the woman's terminology was politically correct.  It was on the spot, and off the cuff.  Some may associate all Arabic people with terrorism and conniving, but I assure you McCain doesn't.

I think it was noble in intent.

Stephen

[This message has been edited by Stephanos (10-11-2008 12:10 AM).]

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
6 posted 2008-10-11 12:19 PM

People are going to read it the way that suits them, Stephen.

Brad, this is a new side of you, throwing out such strong insults. Rovian slime machine Care to elaborate...or at least justify/

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

7 posted 2008-10-11 12:30 PM

Stephan, I agree it was the right thing to do, just kinda late. (and hey--I nearly had sympathy for McCain as my apologies usually end up with both feet in my stoner chick mouth...but dayum--that response totally sucked toes.) I tried to like McCain. The way I used to...but after today?

It's worse than leaving DNA on a groupie's dress.

and Mike?

I honestly don't know what the Rovian stuff means either.

All I know is today, even after an abysmal week? Made me cry, and oh boy, I've been crying a lot, but I am so saddened by all of this...and ashamed I've been this quiet all along.

This country, founded by immigrants as a sanctuary from oppression--reduced to this?

I am...gobsmacked.

moonbeam
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

8 posted 2008-10-11 04:05 AM

"Rovian slime machine"

Ooooo, I always knew Brad had a nice side to him.  

oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
Santa Monica, California, USA
9 posted 2008-10-11 11:38 AM

Happy Saturday Morning!  Anyway!

Senator McCain has always been a decent man.  Yeah, he's made a few mistakes along the line, if one equates "decency" with perfection, but then, who hasn't?

Suggesting to some extremists in his audience that they lighten up was an act of decency.  Good for him!

Best, Jimbeaux

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
10 posted 2008-10-11 03:10 PM

Awwwwwwwwwwww, thanks Karen! (piptalk friendship group hug)

My earlier commending of McCain was actually regarding the other question from the audience where someone had said Obama was a terrorist and was worried the nation wouldn't be safe for raising his child in under an Obama administration, not the Arab one. And I absolutely agree that was disappointing and he should have, after defending Obama, said something defending the Arab-Muslim community! =(

Wisconsin Advertising Project: September 28-October 4 Campaign Spending

By the way, the University of Wisconsin Advertising Project is confirming that, while negative attack ads made up 34% of Obama's advertising during the week of September 28-October 4, virtually 100% of the McCain campaign’s advertisements during that same week were negative.

To be fair, the Project also acknowledges:

"Comparing this presidential election to 2004, we see that both the McCain and Obama campaigns have aired more negative advertisements than did their counterparts. In all of 2004, 64 percent of the Bush campaign’s ads were negative, while to date, 73 percent of McCain’s ads have been negative. Similarly, 34 percent of all Kerry ads were negative while 61 percent of Obama’s have been." (3)

In a nutshell, negative attack ads, overall, have made up a majority of both candidates' advertising overall to date. Obama clearly isn't the arbiter of attack-free politics he has claimed to be repeatedly this campaign season, and I've thought all along that wasn't at all true.

Nonetheless, in the final stretch McCain has chosen to go unabashedly negative and duck the issues like the economy in the most part, while Obama's campaign has been releasing mostly ads that don't even reference his opponent McCain, particularly $1.4 million of his $2.4 million weekly ad buy on an ad that criticizes the status quo but never mentions McCain, and, regardless of your opinion on Obama's economic proposals, has spent most of his speeches touching on the issue!

Interesting that GOP candidates, including Norm Coleman for the US Senate in Minnesota, are distancing themselves from McCain and saying they will run "100 percent positive" campaigns from here on out! I commend them should they follow through on their vows. But it just comes to show that many, even some in his own party, believe the negativity has sunk to levels of desperation!

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
11 posted 2008-10-11 03:25 PM

Does anyone believe it’s a good idea for McCain\Palin to continue their present strategy of attacking their opponent instead of promoting their policies?

Also, do you believe they’ll change tack?

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
12 posted 2008-10-11 04:04 PM

Grinch, I don't know if it's helping them or not but I believe it's the only option open to them and they should have done it a long time ago. Doing it now makes it look like more of a desperate act that one of waking up the voters.

They need to do it because they have no choice. Obama has a million negatives going against him, led by his absolute lack of expereience and his friends but the liberal press won;t touch them.

I can assure you that, if Obama were Republican, he would have been so bar-b-qued by this time, he could feed a family of four for a month!

Of course, Obama has less negative ads. Why? There's almost nothing they can use to attack McCain. He voted for this!  ok. He didn't vote for that! That's nice but they have little to say about his character or his service and dedication to the country. They know that and that's why they came up with the plan to take advantage of Bush's unpopularity and link the two of them together. A vote for McCain is a vote for Bush! Do  you want another four years of Bush politics? Bush this, Bush that....on and on and on. That's all they've got.

That alone could tell you something about the character of the man.....

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
13 posted 2008-10-11 05:51 PM

The tactic isn’t working Deer, nobody believes it apart from the wing nuts screaming “terrorist” at the republican rallies and all that’s doing is tarring the image of republicans in general.

Even McCain, it seems, doesn‘t really believe there‘s any truth in the claims he‘s promoting:

"He's a person that you don't have to be scared of as President of the United States."

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
14 posted 2008-10-11 08:18 PM

quote:
The general uncertainty as to what is really happening makes it easier to cling to lunatic beliefs. Since nothing is ever quite proved or disproved, the most unmistakable fact can be impudently denied. Moreover, although endlessly brooding on power, victory, defeat, revenge, the nationalist is often somewhat uninterested in what happens in the real world. What he wants is to feel that his own unit is getting the better of some other unit, and he can more easily do this by scoring off an adversary than by examining the facts to see whether they support him. All nationalist controversy is at the debating-society level. It is always entirely inconclusive, since each contestant invariably believes himself to have won the victory. Some nationalists are not far from schizophrenia, living quite happily amid dreams of power and conquest which have no connection with the physical world.

--George Orwell

Perhaps, we all need to be reminded of this from time to time.

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
15 posted 2008-10-11 08:23 PM

Obama's associations in historical fact
are of enough concern,( there's no
need to list them here).  And with so little
else to go on about someone who is seeking
the highest office, ( Krauthammer called
him probably the least qualified canidate
in living memory), they need to be looked
at.

Have you noticed how the war
disappeared as an Obama talking point?

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
16 posted 2008-10-11 09:27 PM

Huan,

Forget Ayers, forget Keating they’re non-issues, McCain and Obama are Presidential candidates, think about it,  if there was any dirt that would stick to either of them don't you think it would have been dug up and used long ago.

Investigators, both republican and democrat will have been over these issues with a fine tooth comb, they haven’t found any damming evidence otherwise they‘d be shouting it from the rooftops. McCain himself, by his own admission, doesn’t see a problem that would discount Obama from holding the highest office. Obama has said exactly the same about McCain. So why continue to focus on pointless attempted character assassinations instead of the real issues like the economy, health care or, as you’ve suggested, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.?

One of these guys is going to be the next President of the US and personally I’d like to hear a little more about what he plans to do when he gets there and a little less twaddle and pointless rumour mongering about his opponent.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

17 posted 2008-10-11 09:56 PM

elegant and eloquent

Juju
Member Elite
since 2003-12-29
Posts 3429
In your dreams
18 posted 2008-10-11 10:56 PM

Sometimes I wonder, why on earth would Obama run now, when he could run 4 or 8 years later and have the voting record, have the experience, and have the respect of his fellow democrats. All of his "Faults" would have been completly eliminated.  Why on earth would he run now.

-Juju

-"So you found a girl
Who thinks really deep thougts
What's so amazing about really deep thoughts " Silent all these Years, Tori Amos

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
19 posted 2008-10-12 01:56 AM

“Sen. Barack Obama's pastor says blacks should not sing "God Bless America" but "God d.mn America." “

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/Story?id=4443788

I can not ignore that,
not twenty years of relationship,
especially since without other history
I have only words to go by.

And as the good Reverend,
who had known him for those
twenty years remarked,  on
national television,
Barrack  Obama is a politician,
he’ll say what he has to say.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
20 posted 2008-10-12 04:35 AM

Forget Ayers, forget Keating they’re non-issues

You mean like Democrats forgot Haliburton, grinch?

Yes, of course they are non-issues to Democrats....no surprise there. Maybe none of it WILL make a difference. I'm not smart enough to know how all Americans think. It will certainly make no difference to die-hard Democrats, who have made it an art form to ignore Obama's complete lack of experience, his ties to Acorn, the fact that he smoked grass in college (but listen! George Bush PARTIED in college! Now THAT'S relevant) and any other thing that could be considered derrogatory toward the Messiah.

There may, however, be some fence-sitters who could pay a little attention to Obama's claims that, sitting in church for over 20 years with a man he claimed was his spiritual mentor, he still didn't know the man was a racist who despises America. Maybe they'll pay attention to how Obama got his properties at a bargain basement price from Tony Resco, later convicted on felony charges but, of course, Obama had no idea the man had those tendencies. They may pay a little attention to the ties with a man who bombed the Pentagon, the man in whose living room launched Obama's career and who Obama claims actually gave him his first job, even though Obama claims he had no idea of Ayer's past or his continuing terroristic desires.

Perhaps they will pay attention to the fact that either Obama is a completely inept judge of character or that he is a complete liar. That could make a difference, who knows?

You want to hear about Iraq, you say? You aren't hearing it from Obama, who has stopped discussing it for weeks. You want to hear how he's going to fix health care and the economy, without having any experience in either? Me, too. Have you heard anything? He's given a lot of speeches about them but have you heard anything? You want to hear how he's going to make things better, even though he was a strong supporter of Fannie and Freddy, who was giving him record political contributions? You want to hear how he is not going to raise taxes on the middle class, even though he has voted for many tax increases in congress? Over 40% of the American people do not pay income tax. Obama makes it a point to say these people are going to get a nice rebate from the government....a rebate for taxes they never paid. In Capone's day that was called bribery.

What's just as important as hearing what someone says they are going to do as President, is having enough confidence in them and their character to believe them. That's where the character and honesty factors come in. That's where Wright, Resco, Ayers and Acorn come in. To the ostriches, it won't matter. To others, it may.

moonbeam
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

21 posted 2008-10-12 04:37 AM

quote:
Why on earth would he run now.

Er, because he will win?

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
22 posted 2008-10-12 06:35 AM

Mike,

If you were talking to a Democrat Mike, you’d likely get an equal or longer list of McCain and Palin’s supposed indiscretions. At which point you’d probably dismiss them as pointless, saying that you really want to talk about the real issues before burying your head firmly in the sand.

Can you see the irony?

Fortunately I’m not a Democrat so I’m going to talk about ostriches.

There’s no nice way to say this Mike so I’m going to jump in with both feet. Your country is bankrupt. If it were a business it would have been closed down years ago, that’s not an inconvenient truth, it’s an undeniable fact. It’s common knowledge almost everywhere except, it seems, in the USA where it’s hardly discussed at all as far as I can see, largely, I presume, due to the ostrich effect.

In amongst this fiscal debacle there’s a Presidential election going on to select a leader that will either preside over the beginning of a resurrection or the beginning of the end of the American way of life. Don’t you think it would be a good idea to hear how they plan to avoid the disaster facing your country, or are you happy to sit there with your head in the sand like all the other ostriches?

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
23 posted 2008-10-12 10:30 AM

I would LOVE to hear how they are going to do it, grinch, and I would also love to be able to believe what they are saying. Put a politician in front of an audience and you can rest assured they will say whatever that audience wants to hear. I'd like to see some sign that what they are saying is valid.

You can list as many negatives against McCain as you like and that's fine. Everything depends on which buttons are pushed in people that make them decide. We've read where his infidelity to his ex-wife is very important to some. Ok, that's a valid point, even though it would also throw Clinton, Kennedy and who knows how many others into the cage of "not being fit to be a good president". Can I feel assured that McCain would be a great president? Nope, I can't. All I can do is base my decisions on history and what I think is best for the country, even if it is the "best of the worst".

One thing Obama has said that I believe wholeheartedly is that he will raise taxes. In an economic situation like ours, that's the WORST thing he can do, and history bears me out. Take a look at the seventies..

During Carter's administration, the economy suffered double-digit inflation, coupled with very high interest rates, oil shortages, high unemployment and slow economic growth. Productivity growth in the United States had declined to an average annual rate of 1 percent, compared to 3.2 percent of the 1960s. There was also a growing federal budget deficit which increased to 66 billion dollars.

Reagan brought us out of that quagmire and he didn't do it by raising taxes...he did it by lowering them. You don't improve a citizen's lot during bad financial times by taking more away from them. Every time capital gains taxes have been raised, less money has gone into the national treasury. That's factual. Obama wants to raise the capital gains taxes. citing that the government needs more money. Figure that one out, sir.

He claims the middle class will not be affected and I believe that to be, at best, a misconception and, at most, an outright lie. Even if it were true, what happens when the government goes after "the big boys". you now, those fellows that provide jobs to tens of thousands of Americans? Yep, that's right....layoffs. Won't that affect the middle class? If the companies being hit with the proposed new tax burdens sell a product, yep that's right..the cost of the product will go up. Will THAT affect the middle-class housewife standing in line at the supermarket? I happen to believe it will.
Or perhaps to avoid this from happening, Obama could circumvent it by freezing all prices, freezing all salaries, and not permitting layoffs. Someone could write a book about that type of government....actually, some already have.

The seconf reason I won't vote for Obama is that the Democrat party bears the lion's share of our current situation, although with help from the republicans, too. From the "chicken in every pot" mentality of Clinton in the last 90's, whose pressure on the banks made "No job? No credit? No problem!" a national anthem, to their refusal to investigate Fanny and Freddy back when something could have been done,  their actions and inactions have been extremely detrimental to the country's economy. And now these dame people are screaming,  "Elect us and we will fix this problem! (which we were instrumental in creating)".

You want to talk ostriches, grinch? Ostriches are people being able to see videos of Maxine Waters, Barney Franks and other Democrats claiming in 2004-5 that fannie and Freddie were in excellent shape (which they were not) and blaming anyone who said otherwise to be saber-rattling for political purposes only....and disregarding it. Ostriches are people seeing videos of John McCain at the same time, warning that the two entities were in dire straits and that action had to be taken to avoid economical disaster (which has occured)...and disregarding it. Those are your ostriches, grinch. It's almost a comedy routine that the ones who refused to do anything now blame the ones who insisted something be done for the current situation.

We're not bankrupt, grinch. We are in bad times, for sure, and we have been there before and have always come out of it as we will come out of this one. How? The resiliance of the American people. It's time for the government to get out of their way, not take more money away from them.

Do I think Obama would be a horrible president? Beats me..but I do think the Democrats in the Oval office would be bad for the country. A few years ago, the Democrats claimed "Put us in charge of congress and we will make a difference!" They did...a difference for the worse, with the lowest approval rating any congress has ever seen. Now they scream "Put us in the White House and we will make a difference!", and I believe them. It's the difference they would make that scares me. Thinking of a country being run by the likes of Pelosi, Boxer, Franks, Kerry and Hillary scares the bejesus out of me.

Don't count out the American people just yet, sir grinch. We all have a little phoenix in us, even when the ashes are deep

Thus endeth my Sunday morning rant and the golf course awaits, although now, due to inflation, instead of screaming FORE! we yell FIVE!

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
24 posted 2008-10-12 12:12 PM

Mike,

Well that’s a start Mike, but it’s still too negative, even if I accept your assertions that Obama’s policies won’t work it doesn’t tell me whether McCain’s policies are any better or even worse. If McCain’s financial policy is to sell lemonade and buy swampland Obama still looks the best bet.

See you still aren’t promoting your candidate or his policies Mike, you’re simply trying to discredit the policy of the other side, tell me what McCain‘s plans are.

quote:
We're not bankrupt, grinch.

You don’t like the word bankrupt? How about insolvent? Unable to meet your financial commitments and debts? Flat broke?

Your country owes, in commitments, $53 trillion (53,000,000,000,000)
That figure is growing at a rate of around $2-$3 trillion a year
Your spending is greater than your income

What would you call that?

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
25 posted 2008-10-12 03:58 PM

No, grinch, I'm not promoting my candidate and I'm not sure what his answers are, although I would think it would go beyond selling lemonade. He was, after all, as I mentioned, warning of the Freddie/Fannie impending crisis years before it reared it's ugly head. I do believe, however, that McCain has a creditable congressional record with a mountain of experience behind it. Obama's only congressional noteworthy accomplishment is being named most liberal senator in congress. He has initiated no bills of any consequence and has done basically nothing during his term other than run for president. He has no military experience, no foreign relations experience, and no economical experience. Had he not given a good speech at the 2004 DNC, he would never have even been noticed, much less be considered a viable candidate for the presidency....and, as McCain is finally pointing out, Obama's only major business experience is dealing with a felon and a terrorist. Even if it boiled down to nothing more than choosing the devil you know over the devil you don't know, I'll go with the one I know.

The word "bankruptcy" doesn't stir any feeling in me one way or another. I do believe, however, that national bankruptcy does not exist unless it is spiritual bankruptcy....and I can assure you it is not. The U.S. has been down and pronounced dead before and yet here we still are and we're not going anywhere. Americans will do whatever it takes to recover. That's what we do. We recovered from the Depression, we recovered from Jimmy Carter and we will recover from this and the global economy will recover with us.

That's another reason why I prefer McCain, whose  message is hope and belief in the American people. He doesn't have a minister who preaches "God (blank) America", nor does he have past political supporters and business associates who are sorry they didn't do enough damage when they bombed the Pentagon.

Hopefully many Americans will feel the same way at crunch time.

oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
Santa Monica, California, USA
26 posted 2008-10-12 04:17 PM

Grinch -- The American way?  

Jimbeaux

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
27 posted 2008-10-12 04:31 PM

quote:
No, grinch, I'm not promoting my candidate and I'm not sure what his answers are.

I believe he’s planning to sell lemonade, ban golf, sell Florida off to the Mexican government and move to Alaska to raise pit-bulls - but that could just be a rumour.

Hello Jim

Brace yourself for tax increases, whoever wins they're inevitable - the only way.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
28 posted 2008-10-12 06:36 PM

Not a chance, Grinch. Mexico uses Florida as a tax write-off.
Juju
Member Elite
since 2003-12-29
Posts 3429
In your dreams
29 posted 2008-10-12 08:23 PM

Grinch, were not bankrupt, we are in war...

Grinch, we are not Germany post WW1.  It is common for there to be economic recessions when banks, which are the key figures in capitalism to be the cause of these issues.  

It is also common for the economy to be bad, really, bad during elections.

I think in hard times, we all need to down size, including the government.  One may say, oh how do you do that. I say that we start six sigma or lean engineering into our government. Oh wait politicians will have to be accountable for their actions.

It is easy to point fingers at the really old guy and say "man your old"

But isn't it just as easy to point fingures and say you don't have the expirience for the job.

I don't really care who has bracelets...Who is good looking, who can fill a football field, who is a celebrity, who had a history of cheating, who is a good Christian.

I care about track record and down sizing the government... oops voting to the right this year... again

-Juju

-"So you found a girl
What's so amazing about really deep thoughts " Silent all these Years, Tori Amos

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

30 posted 2008-10-12 09:39 PM

And this economic crisis on Wall Street may have more than a little to do with economic terrorism, as well as failed political policies and panic selling. A good deal of the sell-offs have been the foreign hedge funds.
Juju
Member Elite
since 2003-12-29
Posts 3429
In your dreams
31 posted 2008-10-12 10:22 PM

I can't disagree with you.  What you say is absolutely true.

However I am not an isolationist.  I am not even a true capitalist.  Definitely not a socialist.  So I am sitting at the computer and glad that figuring out the economy is not my job.  I think before the government messes with the beast that is capitalism, it should instead worry about the welfare of its poeple.

Politicians like to tell everyone that the world is or is not a beautiful world.  They do it to provoke emotion, not to better your life.  They give us the news.  [Why I read the BBC] They tell you how to live your lives and buy things you cannot afford.

Just like everyone in all governments, we have the same disposition to temptation and wrong.

Those corrupt politicians, they think they are your saviors.   They think they are doing good.  They just keep telling themselves that.

It is awfully tempting when you have all that money to not care about the poeple you are hurting.  

You see it is human nature... That is why all power must be balanced.  You can't give to much power away.  It is just too tempting.  How many poeple do things cause they can?

Oh brother I am ranting again... and on a tangent

-Juju

-"So you found a girl

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
32 posted 2008-10-12 11:39 PM

quote:
Grinch, were not bankrupt

According to your top government accountant you are, he’s been saying it for the last ten years to anyone willing to take the time to listen and a whole bunch of people like Bush who simply wouldn‘t.

Fortunately McCain has listened, so too has Obama, I know that because both have laid out their policies in separate televised  interviews explaining exactly how they plan to rectify the issue. Granted it wasn’t as funny as the pig in lipstick crack, or as juicy or as distracting as possible links to corrupt and corrupting influences but it was fairly informative regarding who had the best handle on the situation.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
33 posted 2008-10-13 12:59 PM

he’s been saying it for the last ten years to anyone willing to take the time to listen

You mean to say he told Clinton and even he wouldn't listen for two years???? Oh, wait. You didn't mention Clinton, only Bush. Why am I not surprised? You did say that, as a non-American, you have no party leanings...but it seems they are showing.

If you want to continue with the insistence that we are bankrupt, please be my guest. I do wonder, though, why you have waited till now to inform us and not at any time in the past ten years that the chief accountant has been saying it. For the first 6 years of the Bush administration, records were set for earnings, low unemployment numbers and a large number of economic indicators. We were bankrupt at the time? In 1998-1999 when Democrats were applauding the state of the country and honoring Bill Clinton as the savior who erased the deficit, you mean that, according to this chief accountant, we were actually bankrupt at the time?

Apparently they don;t make bankruptcies like they used to. If we have actually been bankrupt all that time, then Bush has done one heck of a job in keeping this bankrupt country running.

Kep reading headlines or whatever reports or propoganda that you like. I'll keep counting on the resiliance of the American people. Oil was over $150 a barrel a very short time ago. Now it's under $80. Why? Americans stopped driving. Americans started demanding of our leaders that usage of our own resources was vital. All of a sudden oil became inexpensive again.

we will always  do whatever it takes to keep the country strong, even if we have to go back to planting victory gardens (if you don;t know what they are, Google can tell you.)

I have little doubt that there is a long list of countries who wish they were as bankrupt as we are.

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
34 posted 2008-10-13 08:41 AM

quote:
You didn't mention Clinton, only Bush.

Sorry for the confusion Deer, I was trying to point out that both present candidates are aware of the problem whereas the incumbent (who just happens to be Bush) , based on his policies while in office, obviously isn’t.

Clinton? He’s as much to blame as Bush and all the other presidents for years - way past Clinton.

Why haven’t I been telling you?

To tell you the truth I thought you knew about this particular elephant, I know how much my country owes and what policies the government is planning - I simply presumed you would too. I think the more pertinent question to ask though is why your government and politicians haven’t told you.

Bankruptcy when it comes to countries and governments is a bit of a misnomer I admit. When a person or Company gets to the point where they can’t afford to carry on they give up and either file for voluntary bankruptcy, or are declared bankrupt by their creditors. Countries due to their ability to literally print money tend to be able to maintain a state of bankruptcy which can last for years before the inevitable big bang.

Can the government and the people reverse the situation - you bet they can, especially the American people, I’m 100% confident in their ability to do so, but first they have to realise the state the economy is in and lay down plans now to do something about it.

This guy could help if the people listen to him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIgrxpp97OQ

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7461407498377956300
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-16u9x3tfE&feature=related
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um0guhNGPPM&feature=related

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
35 posted 2008-10-13 04:17 PM

Will everyone please read up
on mark to market which went into
effect only last year before writing
off the United States?

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
36 posted 2008-10-13 05:15 PM

Huan,

The current impending recession has a lot to do with mark to market accountancy, it’s responsible for the apparent paradox that leaves the man in the street shaking his head in disbelief when a company is viable on Monday and going to the wall on Tuesday. The government has realised this, and the recent bailout bill allows for fair trade accountancy instead of mark to market accountancy to correct this. Unfortunately the current recession and the debt Mr. Walker is talking about aren’t directly related. The problem Mr. Walker is talking about was there long before the recession and will be there long after it’s over, mark to market accountancy is irrelevant.

Don’t believe me?

What’s the value of 53 trillion dollars worth of debt using mark to market accountancy rules and how much is it worth using the alternative fair trade accountancy method?

I’ll give you a clue, the answer in both cases starts with a minus sign, has twelve zeros and contains a 3 and a 5 but not necessarily in that order.

[This message has been edited by Grinch (10-13-2008 06:42 PM).]

JenniferMaxwell
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2006-09-14
Posts 2423

37 posted 2008-10-13 07:57 PM

If you're looking for a bit of truth about Obama's accomplishments, check this out:
http://tpzoo.wordpress.com/2008/08/30/obamas-senate-accomplishments/

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
38 posted 2008-10-14 03:05 AM

Today, after a speech, Obama spoke to some of the people in the audience and, as he was speaking to a truck driver worried about having his taxes increased, Obama told him that many people were out of work and there needed to be a "redistribution of wealth". I don't know about you but that phrase raises the hairs on my arm.

Steve Forbes later stated that Obama's problem was that he considered the nation's wealth to be a fixed amount instead of being expandable, where his answer is taking from one to give to another instead of finding ways to expand wealth for more to benefit from.

moonbeam
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

39 posted 2008-10-14 09:56 AM

quote:
I don't know about you but that phrase raises the hairs on my arm.

Wax is my advice

Maybe Obama's doing it in reverse: President first, then Hollywood later; a starring role in Robin Hood would be cool.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
40 posted 2008-10-14 10:44 AM

hehe...could be, moonbeam

Btw, for anyone who hasn't read Atlas Shrugged, this would be a great time

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
41 posted 2008-10-14 01:38 PM

Sorry Mike, call me a stupid if you like, but I don’t see how Mr. Forbes gets from Obama’s statement that there should be a “redistribution of wealth” to the conclusion that Obama considers “wealth” to be a fixed amount.

I always thought that wealth, like profit, was, by definition, an undetermined figure. If so Obama was suggesting that whatever wealth was available should be distributed differently.

If I suggested a profit sharing scheme would I be automatically guilty of believing that the profit to be shared was a fixed amount?

You seem to understand the logic - is there any chance you could you explain it?

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » McCain

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary