navwin » Discussion » The Alley » 'We can't eat as much as we want . . .
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic 'We can't eat as much as we want . . . Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan

0 posted 2008-05-21 07:39 PM

Obama: 'We can't eat as much as we want... and then just expect that other countries are going to say OK.'

Tell me what that portends . . .

© Copyright 2008 John Pawlik - All Rights Reserved
The Shadow in Blue
since 2006-05-18
Posts 493
EL, Michigan
1 posted 2008-05-21 07:47 PM

Where exactly did you find this quote because I myself am equally confounded by its intentions. I'm guessing, without any information, Obama is trying to say that...we can't expect the world to accept our exuberant actions (like Bush's foreign policy) with open arms...But in all honesty I don't know for certain.

Anyone else want to take a stab at the meaning of Obama's aforesaid remark

~Jill

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
2 posted 2008-05-21 08:26 PM

For a quick example:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2017697/posts

Actually if you do a search you'll
find it a number of times.

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

3 posted 2008-05-22 05:07 PM

Dear Huan Yi,

My physician has recently informed me of the same thing.  He was sharper than Senator Obama because I think he expected me to be at least as willing to learn from experience and past mistakes as I am politically.  He expected me to realize weight and blood-pressure and cholesterol and incidence of heart attack and stroke were all connected and to try to correct my eating and exercise habits.

You, Huan Yi, appear to be in fabulous shape, and seem to have taken the lesson to heart in your personal life in ways that I can only, at this point, envy and attempt to emulate.  Perhaps it will increase my life span.

How exactly the analogy stretches to national behaviors remains to be seen.  But I suspect that Senator Obama may be using this metaphor.  It is a frequently used one on the Left, which may be why you aren't familiar with it.
It is, I acknowledge, a flawed metaphor, but one with much to be said for it as well, a mixed blessing, as they say, and one to be used carefully.  

If one is to think about metaphors as tools (yet another metaphor, of course), then it's important to select the correct tool for the job.  Do you think this metaphor is totally off base, of some use with appropriate care to application, or a panacea.  Is there something else that would describe it for you:  The cat's pajamas?  Rubbish?

Inquiring Bloat Folk wish to know!

Massively yours, BobK.

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
4 posted 2008-05-22 08:58 PM

So he wasn't saying what he said
but rather something lesser beings
can not understand . . .

That's a relief.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

5 posted 2008-05-22 09:01 PM

I'm just going to venture a guess here, without reading the replies, or the link(s) that provide the context:

I'm just gonna guess that one was about oil.

If I'm right, what do I win? If I'm wrong--then maybe we should consider that it could be about oil consumption, because we, collectively, can't lose if we take it that way.

Not if we follow a prescribed diet that restricts caloric input and increases exercise.

(Correct me if I'm wrong, Huan Yi, but isn't that exactly what pained you about the obese in another thread?)

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

6 posted 2008-05-22 10:02 PM

Huan Yi,

I said nothing of the sort.

I said that it was a left wing metaphor.  I made no assertion of superiority at all.  I make no claim of understanding or familiarity with all right wing metaphors; why would I assume your familiarity with left wing metaphors?  Offering an explanation seems reasonable.

Did I do something to deserve such a vitriolic response?  If so, what?

BobK.

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
7 posted 2008-05-23 03:09 AM

Taken slightly less out of context:

"Pitching his message to Oregon's environmentally-conscious voters, Obama called on the United States to "lead by example" on global warming, and develop new technologies at home which could be exported to developing countries.

"We can't drive our SUVs and eat as much as we want and keep our homes on 72 degrees at all times ... and then just expect that other countries are going to say OK," Obama said."

So, what does Karen win?

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

8 posted 2008-05-23 04:34 AM

"A LIFETIME supply of Dubious!"

???

I mean, it could include stuff like, a hospitible tour of the islands of Dubai, contrasted by the still deteriorating wetlands of the Gulf Coast!"

OR...

We could go to the morgue in St. Gabriel, La., where over 200 unidentified bodies from Hurricane Katrina are "housed" along with a secondary indepth tour of the Neatherlands' flood protection program.

OR....

We could go to the New Orleans section of Walt Disney World, or we could actually go to New Orleans! (Disney World is cleaner.) It really doesn't matter if you opt for Disney World.

I know I would.

*chuckle*

and *wince*

*sob*

I wish it were funny.

I've missed you hush.

But?

Nobody wins...

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » 'We can't eat as much as we want . . .

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary