navwin » Discussion » The Alley » End of Days...
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic End of Days... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
matronmedusa
since 2008-03-08
Posts 89
Alabama, USA

0 posted 2008-03-15 10:45 AM

Or paranoia?  You decide...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8774354484765194861&q=2012&total=21141&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=6

© Copyright 2008 Melissa Acevedo - All Rights Reserved
Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
1 posted 2008-03-15 12:50 PM

A truth that can be twisted and taken to some pretty bizarre extremes.  Yes I believe in an apocalypse, but don't tend to pay any attention to date-setters and eccentric fear mongers.  But I think it would be unwise to dismiss eschatology as nothing more than a mania.  

Stephen

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
2 posted 2008-03-15 04:51 PM

It’s nothing more than a mania.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
3 posted 2008-03-15 08:04 PM

...and then some.
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
4 posted 2008-03-15 09:10 PM

Those that lived on Mars probably believed that too.  Now look at their planet.
Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
5 posted 2008-03-16 06:10 AM

Thanks for reminding me Ess, I forgot to consider the Martians, those poor little green guys probably didn’t know what hit them. Then of course there’s the planet Krypton, although the population there wasn't completely wiped out (at least one of them survived), it is another example of an apocalyptical disaster.

[This message has been edited by Grinch (03-16-2008 07:14 AM).]

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

6 posted 2008-03-16 05:39 PM

Folks seem to have predicted an apocalypse with great confidence for a very long time.  Sometimes it's supposed to be just around the corner, sometimes in the far future, sometimes the magic eight ball wants us to ask again later.  The goal posts keep changing, folks keep fudging the score card.  Every time the world doesn't end, the disappointed and disillusioned want and justify to themselves a do over.  Maybe this time it'll be different.

Maybe it will.  

Seems to me that time spent dealing with urging on the apocalypse, dealing with predicting it and preparing for it might be better spent loving your neighbors and respecting them and trying to make the world a loving place.  Yes, and even in making the world a place worth living in for those around you, even if you should be so unfortunate as not to care for yourself.

One thing we do know for a certainty is that each of us has a personal eschatology to deal with, and it will sure feel like the end of the world to us.  Much as we want to move the goalposts on that one, they're not all that flexible, and I for one want to feel like I've come out of this living business reasonably well.

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
7 posted 2008-03-17 04:52 PM

quote:
It's nothing more than a mania ... and then some.

It's really notable that aside from distinctly religious eschatologies, a kind of Weltschmerz, global angst, distrust in the general direction of humanity, and sense of culmination or 'coming of age' has pretty much defined the postmodern era.  The religious expression of the same has merely included an element of hope.  But the point is,  if its nothing more than a mania, then this kind seems to be part and parcel of who we are.  At any rate, its reasonable even for skeptics to ponder whether there may be more to it than just mental instability.  Some of the most common sensical, mentally grounded people I've known have been sure about the end of the world.

"... Now, I have not lost my ideals in the least;  my faith in fundamentals is exactly what it always was.  What I have lost is my old childlike faith in practical politics.  I am still as much concerned as ever about the battle of Armageddon ... "  (G.K. Chesterton)

"To believe that men living in time can know lasting peace, prosperity, and contentment is far more fallacious and demented than to expect the end of the world in the near future"  (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Stephen

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
8 posted 2008-03-17 05:02 PM

Bob:
quote:
Seems to me that time spent dealing with urging on the apocalypse, dealing with predicting it and preparing for it might be better spent loving your neighbors and respecting them and trying to make the world a loving place.  Yes, and even in making the world a place worth living in for those around you, even if you should be so unfortunate as not to care for yourself.

Actually Bob, yours is a pretty good echo of the Biblical prescription for being "prepared".  All those who sell their belongings and sit on a roof-top under the strained date settings and preaching of some half baked leader have eschatological preparedness all wrong.  And though I'm convinced there is a momentous "end and new beginning" of history, you're very right to call attention to the micro-eschatology of our own personal death.  

Stephen  

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
9 posted 2008-03-17 05:45 PM

Newsvendor: Sure, it's here. I keep it for ya everyday, don't I?

How's the end of the world comin' along?

Rorschach: Today for certain. It'll happen today. I've seen signs. National Examiner reported a two-headed cat born in Queens.

You'll keep my paper for me tomorrow?

(next day)

Newsvendor: How about you? I see the world didn't end yesterday.

Rorshach: Are you sure?

--"Watchmen"

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
10 posted 2008-03-28 07:33 PM

The world is ending and beginning all the time, frustrating the once-for-all dogmatists.  And yet as a musical motif is usually played more poignantly and dramatically at the start and finish, this rhythm of God's world will have its culmination and climax.  

Stephen

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
11 posted 2008-03-28 10:06 PM

I had a very devout and very persistant "born again" shout at the rain about the world ending "next year" back in 1987... Well, I'm still here...I think.

Sylvia Browne says the world is going to end in another 90 years or so... that is a bit after 2012.

I had a psychic trell me that my daughter was going to be graduating from school while wearing red graduation robes... as part of the class of 2013.

I say, "Who cares?" If the world ends, then one of two things is going to happen... I will end up in heaven or I will end up in Hell.
If I end up in Heaven, then ho hassles. If I end up in Hell, I will be too busy shaking hands with my friends to notice.

What would you attempt to do...if you knew you could not fail?.
www.myspace.com/mindlesspoet

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

12 posted 2008-04-03 07:16 PM

Dear Stephanos,

The comment about the world beginning and ending all the time makes perfect sense to me.

I can't say I always agree with you, but I love some of the things you say.  This is one of them.  Thanks.

BobK.

Edward Grim
since 2005-12-18
Posts 1154
Greenville, South Carolina
13 posted 2008-04-09 05:10 PM

Can't wait...

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert E.

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

14 posted 2008-04-09 07:52 PM

Bet you can. . .

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » End of Days...

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary