navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Running Rampant?
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Running Rampant? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan

0 posted 2008-01-27 04:17 PM

“With cases of sexual misconduct involving teachers running rampant, . .

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,325877,00.html

Along with kill crazy Iraq War vets
how can we possibly survive?

Is it a common assumption by the media
left or right that they are an elite addressing idiots?

© Copyright 2008 John Pawlik - All Rights Reserved
TomMark
Member Elite
since 2007-07-27
Posts 2133
LA,CA
1 posted 2008-01-28 02:37 PM

Bathrooms and dead birds are everywhere. Fox dines on those ugly true black spot of a society.
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
2 posted 2008-01-28 07:01 PM

The killer vet story was
from the New York Times . . .

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1953322/posts

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
3 posted 2008-01-28 08:12 PM

I'm confused, John. Your quotation doesn't appear to be used in the Fox story to which you linked. The word "rampant" doesn't appear at all within the story? Or did I just miss it?

How much sexual abuse by teachers do you reckon we should tolerate?

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
4 posted 2008-01-28 08:17 PM

Ron,

It was in the headline of the story
as it appeared on their site
which I simply cut and pasted.
Why would I make it up?

What I object to is the notion
that there is an giant wave
of such conduct among teachers. . .
like Vietnam vets all being baby killers. . .

John  

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
5 posted 2008-01-28 11:33 PM

Well, John, the headline in the link you provided is, "A Growing Number of States Turn Focus on Teacher Sex Abuse."

To me, that doesn't seem to be an indictment of teachers . . . or Vietnam veterans, either. It seems to me people are concerned about policing an area of society that desperately needs to be policed very closely. To paraphrase a popular wall crawler, "With great trust comes great responsibility -- and a whole lot of scrutiny."

TomMark
Member Elite
since 2007-07-27
Posts 2133
LA,CA
6 posted 2008-01-29 01:22 AM

Dear John, what I wanted to say is that any news of this kind is like a bad apple in an apple tree. There are hundreds good apples we can talk about why focus on bad ones? I do try to control what shall get into my mind because we have memories. I shall not let some disgusting news to get into my brain again and again as if we need this as vitamins. No, It only darks a day.

My thought.

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

7 posted 2008-01-29 04:13 AM

I have difficulty with Fox News in General as a reliable news source.  I confess personal bias here.  I hate having to consider anything brought to me by anything connected even remotely by Fox news.  When the material is of a sensational nature, I have even more difficulty.

That is not decent reason to dismiss it, however much I would like to.  Allegations need to be dealt with on the basis of the facts.  I simply wish I could do it more gracefully sometimes.  Did I mention I've been told I have a bias against Fox News?  You might be surprised to hear that. . .

Exactly what are facts around an issue like this and what aren't facts very quickly become muddied by panic from all sides.  We must protect our children.  We must protect our privacy.  We must protect the public's right to know,  We must protect freedom of the Press.  We must protect the fairness of the investigations.  We must protect our ability to act.  We must protect our objectivity.
If only somebody was wrong, things would be much simpler.  I don't think anybody is, really.  If the bunch of us banged our heads together, we could probably come up with several other correct points of view whose interests should be guarded as well.

Let me see?  Some of those allegations will be false, won't they?  Some of them will be simple if disturbingly major yet innocent miscommunications.

I don't know if many of you remember the tempest of 15-20 years ago about childhood satanic cult abuse.  Even in the therapy community there was a large minority of well meaning folk who were estimating a population of up to (if my poor brain can be coaxed to creak out an approximately correct number) Ten million "survivors of childhood Satanic cult abuse."  These people were going to drown the available therapeutic resources and the nation was supposed to have been swept away by this hidden but pending danger.  Articles were written on the signs your patient had been a victim of these terrible cult pactices.  Ritual childhood sacrifice.  You name it.

Never happened.  Didn't happen.  Never existed in the first place, outside a few richly gifted and somewhat fevered imaginations who were honestly enough convinced of its reality.  Nevertheless, a groundcurrent of hysteria ran through some parts of the nation.

People are easily pone to catching these sorts of ideas, like the flu.  Like the flu, you pretty much have to let these psychic illnesses run their course and hope they don't turn into more serious psychic illnesses where people start burning witches or hanging blacks or torturing other human beings because they think they can justify it.

I have mentioned to you how much I hate Fox News, haven't I?  I was afraid that might have slipped my mind.
A man has to acknowledge his biases out in the open, otherwise you may end up burning last years' witches.  And some gaffes a guy simply shouldn't get away with.

TomMark
Member Elite
since 2007-07-27
Posts 2133
LA,CA
8 posted 2008-01-29 12:35 PM

I quite dislike Foxnews. I am not biased. It is the station that is deeply biased. Those factors, has been exaggerated into constellations. A thousand pine mountains, it chews on one single dead branch. Yap. I dislike it.

One of my bet friend in MO, she only watches Foxnews and waiting foreign troops in her backyard soon because she said that everyone hates US and wants to come to take over us.

I love her as my sister.

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

9 posted 2008-01-29 04:13 PM

Dear Tommark,

Yes, certainly.  Why shouldn't you love her?  She is your sister.  It's painful when your family is abused, by real or unreal teachers, or real or unreal news organizations, or even accidently by thoughtless speakers.  Pogo says roughly, We have met the enemy and he is us.

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
10 posted 2008-01-29 05:46 PM

Ron,

If you do a search using:

"With cases of sexual misconduct involving teachers running rampant"

you get a number of sites that show the sentence that I copied from including
one:

http://www.thequickbrown.com/

that apparently keeps track of headlines
Fox subsequently edits.

John

TomMark
Member Elite
since 2007-07-27
Posts 2133
LA,CA
11 posted 2008-02-01 11:04 AM

This is the view of Fox station. I would not say that they were not facts. But America is not built on those facts and those thought and those people. then why bother? If they are diagnosing a society, then they shall plan out a treatment plan, right? But they turned that job to w Bush. HA! Bush made it sicker by wrong medicine...Not everything can be healed by drinking.
matronmedusa
since 2008-03-08
Posts 89
Alabama, USA
12 posted 2008-03-12 10:56 AM

"How much sexual abuse by teachers do you reckon we should tolerate?"

I think the question is; "Should we tolerate the law that requires us to leave our children with someone we don't know for 8 hours a day?"  I don't think it's a question of who we hire; it's a question of how blindy obedient we are when it comes to the threat of law.

Schools are a breeding ground for conditioned corruption; no matter how many smiling faces line the walls....

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

13 posted 2008-03-13 12:34 PM

Dear matronmedusa,

There are many good reasons for home schooling.  I'm not sure that sexual abuse by teachers is actually one of them.  My understanding is that sexual abuse and/or physical abuse are much more likely to happen at home than at school.  

There are lots of reasons to be bitter about and critical of public schooling.  If you are of a particular religious orientation, for example, and wish your children raised within the faith, you have a very real dispute.  You will be aware of the details from the religious viewpoint.  

My pro-forma mention of some of these other things will also be familiar to you.  

You may wish to consider what advantage or disadvantage your children may be placed at in the job market at some point if you haven't permitted them exposure and education in some of the elements of medicine and biochemistry and physics that kids in Europe and asia get as a matter of course.

Some parents simply feel that teachers are not well enough educated to give children a deep enough education or exposure to the various points of view that these parents in particular consider vital.  Some parents may consider that the current educational system has been crippled by mandates of exactly what the information will be that is going to be tested for.  These parents would rather have their children learn how to think and create after mastering a certain body of information.

What are your own thoughts on the matter?  I must say I find your phrase "conditioned corruption" disquieting and, at bottom, unclear.  What is it?

Smiley faces are slightly grotesque to my eye, I guess, in the same way that some people simply don't like clown faces.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Running Rampant?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary