navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Religious Adherence of 2008 Candidates
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Religious Adherence of 2008 Candidates Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan

0 posted 2007-07-30 04:59 PM

High On Voters’ Minds

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,291434,00.html

What about yours.

For example did Joe Lieberman being an Orthodox Jew
give anyone pause, (how would that have played in the Middle East)?
Would you vote for anyone with any Islam in his background,
(how would that play in Idaho)?

© Copyright 2007 John Pawlik - All Rights Reserved
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
1 posted 2007-07-31 07:02 PM

Though I am an American who values faith in my life highly, as do a vast majority of Americans, a candidate's religious affliation doesn't really influence my vote at all (unless I felt the candidate was TOO fundamentalist, regardless of his/her religious adherence)

Look, for instance, there are many voters who say that they would NEVER elect a Mormon currently, who Mitt Romney happens to be a Mormon. And yet, we already have Mormons elected to public office, most notably Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid. So though I'm not a Mormon, I wouldn't think any less of a candidate if he/she was Mormon, as I believe faith shouldn't be treated as a one-size-fits-all concept, and its virtue comes in many different shapes and sizes.

Now, without a doubt, we are one of the more religious first-wprld countries in the world, and many Americans do take faith in their lives quite seriously. However, I think the public is far more accepting and broad-minded in terms of religious freedom and diversity than the pollster questioners make them out to be in the phrasing of their questions.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Religious Adherence of 2008 Candidates

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary