navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Ron Paul for Pres.
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Ron Paul for Pres. Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea

0 posted 2007-05-11 09:19 PM

Combine Ron Paul with a dem. congress. It's a match made in heaven.

© Copyright 2007 Brad - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2007-05-11 10:34 PM

How so?
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

2 posted 2007-05-11 10:58 PM

"Oy" sighed the Old Testament Hebraic God. "I have to hear this from an atheist?"

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
3 posted 2007-05-17 06:51 PM

Ron Paul is an original intent guy, a neo-isolationist, a fiscal conservative (to put it mildly), and pro-life.

After eight years of political zealotry on the international front, it makes no sense to me to jerk in an entirely different direction (which has always been dangerously close to the same direction).

Why not elect a guy who focuses on domestic problems, eschews international overexpansion (but at the same time fosters free trade), and lets Americans be Americans in America for awhile.

Combine this with a strong democratic congress where both sides limit the extremes of the other and I think we've got a winning formula.

Now, I haven't changed my mind, I still think    
internationalism, globalization etc. are the only real option for the future. I still see a role for the UN (limited though that may be) and for international organizations of various sorts.

But there is a time and a place for things.

The next four to eight years should be a time  to get away from power rhetoric and grand theorizing.

It's time to focus on one's own family.

moondogz
since 2007-05-01
Posts 397
Great White North
4 posted 2007-05-21 11:41 PM

I'd prefer to see Marianne Williamson,
no offence to your nomination, just my
opinion...oops I'm a Canuck..can't
nominate, can't vote, can just dream.
Maybe she could be our Prime Minister.

dwgpoet
since 2007-03-05
Posts 122
FL, USA
5 posted 2007-05-24 02:03 AM

I would never Vote
for him;
for I never Vote
for Men;
"when the WORD hits SAMs Chickens"

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
6 posted 2007-05-24 09:56 AM

Only problem with that theory is that there's no such thing as a strong Democatic Congress, at least right now, unless you want to call Hillary, Kennedy, Gore, Boxer and Pelosi winners. A winning formula? Sounds more like a whining formula to me  
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
7 posted 2007-05-24 01:34 PM

Ron Paul is certainly an interesting, unique candidate among the current GOP field for the 2008 nomination.

He won't get my vote, but nonetheless I do admire his traditionalist positioning on some issues that bravely put him at odds with the current party's establishment. For instance, I highly admire his non-interventionist position on foreign policy, and he has credibility as being the only GOP presidential candidate to have voted against the Iraq War Resolution in 2002, who nonetheless also has advocated a strong national defense, as his voting record from the Society of Americans for National Existence shows, and was the one who spearheaded the alternative to the Iraq war in promoting Letters of Marque and reprisal so that only the particular individuals responsible for these acts of terrorism on 9/11 and such would be battled, not whole countries.

Ron Paul also has a strong anti-illegal immigration record (100% score from the Federation for American Immigration Reform) and I also admire his positioning on industrial hemp legalization, which I still find it laughable it is illegal and is just the cash crop that can benefit our economy, health and productivity by huge proportions.

However, ultimately he wouldn't get my vote because I don't agree with his positionings on many domestic policies, especially his environmental record, his somewhat abysmal civil rights record and his failure to agree to promoting alternative energies.

Nonetheless, I'm glad some secondary candidates like him are stepping up to the fore and providing more flavors to the presidential debates and national dialogue, as both national parties have abandoned their traditional roots and have become entrenched in special interests and other superrficialities, and neither McCain, Romney or Giuliani strike me as true to the party's natural principles.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Ron Paul for Pres.

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary