navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Homeless Situation Grows As Real Estate Sold For Hotels To House Visitors
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Homeless Situation Grows As Real Estate Sold For Hotels To House Visitors Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada

0 posted 2007-02-12 07:27 PM

Grrrr!  Well, as many of you know I have worked with the homeless for over 30 years here in Vancouver in one capacity or another, and the situation here now is mighty grim.  I fear that visitors to Vancouver for the 2010 Olympic Games will be bombarded with our poor street people in the downtown and East side areas, as each day there is less and less housing for those less fortunate.  One of every two "rented room" hotels in the East side area of Vancouver has been sold, and are being renovated for occupancy for high paying customers during the Olympic Games.  The statistics show that the homeless situation here may triple before the games begin, and that is so sad.  

Today, the homeless held a demonstration right during the clock ceremony to count down the games, and I said, "Good for them!"  A handful were arrested, so at least a few will have a warm bed and a decent meal tonight.  This is getting worse, and worse here, and a handful of people are no longer able to make any difference for these poor people.  Such is the way of capitalism, and I couldn't believe how much it could hurt until it finally invaded the organization I worked with for over 30 years, as they sold our building too, and that is now one less place for refuge and hot meals for these folks.

CBC  Report On Homeless

CTV.ca report on Homeless

© Copyright 2007 Mysteria 1997 - All Rights Reserved
iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
1 posted 2007-02-12 10:16 PM

Sharon...now this is something to really be angry about!!!  It's happening everywhere, I fear and it is a result of global capitalism filtering down into our hometowns.  Pretty soon it will be like things I saw in Jakarta where they just build a beautiful high wall between the haves and the havenots and if the wall isn't enought, the poverty would be shipped out to the country and dumped somewhere....although, I suspect in North American, that place would be something akin to a work camp or detention facility of some sort.  

I don't have any answers.  Wish I did.  Calling attention to the situation is at least a start and thank you for that.  *hugs*....jo

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

2 posted 2007-02-13 06:40 AM

It to me, sounds like we are regressing, instead of progressing...this is sad...
very sad that we cannot take care of our own.  

Yanno, when I was visiting Eleuthera, I was told that they have no homeless there, that the poor are taken care of by the rest of society...and believe me, the caregivers are not all that wealthy either, but they take care of each other.

I think, it's a good upstanding thing to do.  If a person is sick, you make them well...you cure the disease, yanno?

Thank you Sharon

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
3 posted 2007-04-06 02:20 AM

And what happens after the  2010 Olympic Games and there is no need for all that housing for tourist? Will the homeless be given first priorty? nada    matryjo
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
4 posted 2007-04-06 11:08 AM

If they're capable of forming a demonstration, what's to prevent them from getting jobs and getting their own housing?

I recognize that there are some who may have few choices, but am frustrated at the apparent unwillingness to become solvent.

In my opinion, I think the focus should be less on finding future homes for the homeless than it should be on aiding them to become financially solvent enough to be able to afford their own housing.

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
5 posted 2007-04-07 08:49 PM

I know I will get some flack for this but I still think that when they closed the state hospitals for people with mental problems they just dumped them on the street. Some are in prison only because there is no place to put them. Yes,they need help and guidance but I don't see enough of that out side of food kitchens.They need food but they need more than that.martyjo
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
6 posted 2007-04-08 01:38 AM

We have had a bit of good news now for our homeless in that the government is spending $80M on buying some older hotels in the Vancouver East Side and turning them into housing to accommodate at least 1,000 of our homeless.  I think the citizens applying pressure made it clear we wanted this problem solved before tourists arrived, and something more permanent for these folks.  This is not nearly enough either, but it's a start.
http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/News/2007/04/04/3914608-sun.html  
As this other articles shows even spending the $80M over will take care of about 1/3 of the current problem we have here. http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2007/04/04/bc-apc.html?ref=rss

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
7 posted 2007-04-08 09:50 AM

Sharon, I share your support for the homeless, as franni and I both dedicate time in one of the local "soup kitchens" in the poorer parts of town. I also support Christopher's comments. I can understand sympathy for the poor but cannot accept making capitalism the bad guy. Capitalism gave them the opportunity to make something of themselves, which they did not take advantage of.

Hiding them away is one temporary solution, I suppose, but the Olympics coming should create a lot of new jobs, I would think. The emphathis should be on teaching them to fish, not giving them one.

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
8 posted 2007-04-08 03:19 PM

Actually Mike I totally agree with both you and Christopher, but the problem is unbelievable here right now, and I have NO idea what they are going to do about it.  The drug users in Gastown (one of our most beautiful tourist areas) shoot up right on the curbs,etc. and even the locals are afraid to walk there anymore.  Short of throwing the majority of them in jail which is only another temporary hiding spot, I don't have the answers to this anymore.  As you know I also do, or should I say did, the "soup kitchens" and worked with the elderly in less fortunate areas. I guess I am a little embarrassed to admit I can't take what I see just getting to the East Side anymore, and had to quit after over 30 years of volunteering.  I just can't take my girls around that stuff and explain anymore.  

Bandaids - the world is full of them these days I am afraid.

This comment started to see what you people would have to say about this, as I felt almost guilty in my thoughts as they have radically changed since drugs hit the East Side, so I am glad to read that it is okay to think, "teach them to fish, don't give them one!"

Thanks everyone for your genuine comments.

rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
9 posted 2007-04-10 08:34 AM

So frustrating.

Drug offenders exact a tax on the public that makes everyone pay in nearly every arena of life.

Our new slogan, sadly, sounds a lot like "Got Milk," without any wholesomeness. "Got Meth?"

Homes permeated with Meth toxins get torn down or gutted and rebuilt. It's a toxic waste dump and landlords are screaming victims. I think they're trying to pass a law to disclose to potential buyers the home was a meth lab, which of course will plummet the worth of the home. Law or not, police records are there.

So our homeless crisis has skyrocketed because the affordable/government housing areas are targeted by meth users. The owners weed them out by jacking the rent, profiling, and anything else they can do to protect their investment and the others directly surrounding them.

I don't know how many children are being taken from Meth using parents and placed in a suitable environment, but the shelters are full and more are being allocated.

so we build more housing units and send state workers out to the target zones to bring in users who are now becoming the majority of the HIV infected/spreaders.  

What do you do? The jails are over-filled.

This is disgusting, but true. Jailed or imprisoned meth addicts find ways to get their fix. Even if it's Scabs from outside addicts. Yep. I don't want to go into it, but it's absolutely true.

there are homeless and there are hopeless, I'm afraid.

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
10 posted 2007-04-10 12:33 PM

Unfortunately, it is not so easy to distinguish the difference between the homeless and hopeless here lately Regina.  It is a very sad situation, as those really needing a hand up are passed over with the rest.

Where I live, it's a pretty nice area and the amount of grow-ups in these bigger homes is absolutely unreal!  Finally, the police have found a way to get them by looking at their utility bills, and that seems to work for "now," but there are always generators.  One even had a whole lab built underground beneath their house, accessed by a tunnel.  The lab blew up, setting fire to not only that home but the two beautiful homes on either side.  The meth labs downtown are numerous and dangerous. You are so right, as workers have told me they do get that fix even in jail! A very sad, sad, situation. I wish it was a requirement in schools as a field trip to take kids to show them how much "fun" these junkies are having now, after experimenting with drugs, even once!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Homeless Situation Grows As Real Estate Sold For Hotels To House Visitors

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary